Out of curiosity...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Out of curiosity...

Post by hp18carr »

Out of curiosity is there anyone on this forum who has had dealings with the Chrysler 27' model? It became the TMI 27,I have no idea how many were produced under Chrysler. It has the over the stern rudder, that I feel may work well on the C26... just my own speculation. Other interior upgrades has it looking alot like the C30.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=1241

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

You're absoulutely right, it would work well. It is my speculation that many people "borrowed" that very untraditional design. It gives the boat more control and tacking radius. J-boats have had that design for as long as I can remember. It my be a fun project. I assume you don't have the oem outboard mount that sticks out?
It is hard to beat most of Charlie Morgans designs. My mom worked for him for many years. From the stories, I'd have to assume he was a genius, a lil' crazy, but a genius. Then again, I think all sailboat designers are. Lets not even get started on the owners. :lol:
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I do like the over the stern rudder, but there are two major factors keeping me from giving it a try. I do have the oem outboard mount... and second the technical knowledge / tools needed to complete the project I find myself lacking in both categories. Are there books out there that go in-depth on sailboat rudder design... or could there be an over the stern rudder system already on the market that would work on the C26?

There is one other point that makes me think twice on the whole matter, there must be a number of C26 owners out there with the technical knowledge / tools who know alot more about sailing than I and as of yet have chosen not to go down this road. Perhaps in the end if other C26 owners have looked into this... they have found it more trouble than it's worth? I do concur with your assessment, it does help to be a little crazy when you own a sailboat. (LOL). Here is a photo of the business end of my C26 project outboard mount removed.

Terrence
Wilmington N. C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

I scrapped an ODay 25 this fall. I briefly considered using the stern mounted tiller on the C 26 but if I remember correctly the slope of the C26 transom compared to vertical ODay transom seemed like it would be a problem, Although I really didn't give it much though. The ODay rudder is gone now.
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I have toyed with the idea of building a " outboard powered rudder " which might eliminate the problems associated with the rudder and factory motor mount. The only real drawback would be having the prop freewheel when not actually driving the boat. Trying to get the thrust point close to the rudder pivot line might be a problem and balancing the whole thing could be tricky.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Windward

Post by Windward »

GoodOldBoat ran a piece on a Chrysler 27 in 2003 or 2004, I think, but don't recall whether it contained detail you might find useful.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I found http://newrudders.com/?page_id=6 on the web. They still carry the standard rudder for the Chrysler and TMI 27. I'll drop them a line and see what they think about this rudder being fitted to the Chrysler 26.

Terrence
Wilmington N. C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I don't see why someone couldn't try it over the stern but you would not have the swing rudder and not as deep so in heavy air you might be fighting it. The Oday 22 has the rudder and it is a sloping transom but if you notice the draft is 1.9' and the rudder is the same depth.

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=79
Last edited by lecker68 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

I setup my original Catalina 25 rudder on the Maudie Kay just to see what the modification might look like. The Cat rudder is approximately 540 sq. inches and the C 26 rudder is 690 sq. inches, the Cat rudder being about 78% the size of the Chrysler. The Cat rudder would need about 6" taken off the bottom to draw the same amount of water as the keel and would need to be about 12" longer at the top to clear the transom top. Image

I have a few pics of the motor mount I made for the Cat. All SS, bullet proof but heavy. I use a 3:1 purchase to raise and lower the Nissan 4 stroke.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

This it great information guy's thanks. The response I got back from new rudder.com about the C27 rudder fitting the C26 was anything but inspiring. "I don't have a clue... sorry." Their statement may well be true, but its not a very business savvy replay if you ask me. This over the stern rudder for the C26 may need to be allocated to the wishful thinking section of this project... I still have 101 other things to do on the old girl. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I have seen a boat with an outboard mounted on the rudder but it was a double ender otherwise your outboard would hit the transom and in fact he could tilt the motor I believe it was a Pacific Seacraft 25 not sure it was a double ender.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/