Where does your bilge pump, pump to?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
N41EF

Where does your bilge pump, pump to?

Post by N41EF »

Installing a 500gph bilge pump as a emergency measure, under the aft dining seat. I assume that the two most significant sources of leakes would be the keel cable or rudder penetrations so that is where the water would go.

Where would you discharge to water to? a through hull port side? My thought is to run it aft down the port side to pump into the aft locker such that it would drain out the scuppers. a 3/4 inch fitting there, and would be easy to check by lifting the lid to see if the pump is pumping.

Also thought about a hand operated pump, such that water coming in somewhere else could be pumped into that locker.

Whadya think?
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Mine discharges just above the waterline on the port side. Works a charm, I can tell when it's working by how it sounds. Head pressure and length of line really kill the GPH on these pumps.

Luck!

Jim on Anhinga
troyengel

Post by troyengel »

Mine runs down the port side of the cockpit. then into the aft locker, and out the scuppers.
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

mine is 6" below the toe rail on the port side at the front end of the cockpit.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Careyr

Post by Careyr »

I was glad to read this post and comments as I bought an 1100 GPM last winter for my 1981 TMI 22 I had just purchased. I got her in the water for only one week this summer and purposely held off on the bilge pump to first think it through - and get some water in my boat. The old pump was installed center-bottom inside hull, under the cockpit; discharging into the cockpit as described by another, to run out the rear cockpit scuppers.
I rather like the cockpit discharge, only because it's one less hole in my hull. But I was scratching my head in regard to the old pump being installed so high in the boat. After being on the lake for a week this summer and enduring some torrential rains, the aft hold was bone dry. I do have a cup-a-day leak, yet to be isolated, and it forms around the keel.
I like the idea of putting the pump under a galley seat. I am inclined more to put it under the forward seat, though, fore or aft of the keel bolt. That looks like the lowest spot in the boat to me - and my darn pump switch needs 2" of water to cycle the pump. Comments?
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Okay, mounted the pump, wiring and plumbing it. I chose one with a built in strainer and float switch:

Runs aft into the aft port locker:

And I'm thinking about cutting the upper left corner of this piece of plywood:

And mounting a 3/4 inch 90 degree fitting to dump the water in the top right corner of the aft locker:

I had also thought about leaving the port seat locker and turning and going up the hull and discharging there.

Looking for input, on a submarine we discharged it directly out the top so we could hook a discharge hose when in port. YMMV.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I have planned to discharge out into the fuel locker area that the scuppers run through from the cockpit. This would be a rise of less then 3 feet for the pump. (I've heard pump GPM is reduced 50% when you pump water up 3 to 4 foot above the pump) This would keep the discharge about 6" to 9" above the water line. If my boat is foundering lower in the water then the deck in the cockpit, my battery would already be under water and a bilge pump is too little to late. Besides I already have a 3/4" in that area a previous owner put there for just such a hose I'm thinking.

Advantage, no new hole and no visible hole in the boat. Water coming out the scuppers, already built in, no worrying the passengers, crew or first mate. "Oh yea, that's normal pumping procedure. No worries." :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing