Interior retrofit - C26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
gimlisailor

Interior retrofit - C26

Post by gimlisailor »

Hi,

I am in the process of gutting the interior cloth wall finish in my 1979 C26. For starters, I have removed all the seat cushions, seat backs. Eventually I plan to recover these. To make my work easier, I have also removed the drawer cabinet/v-berth partition.

After removing the stale cloth wall finish, I scraped off the thin foam backing adhered to the gelcoat and the adhesive in the main salon and v-berth - what-a-job. (I havent done anything in the berth under the cockpit)

(I won't be installing a new interior finish until I re-bed my leaky windows.)

At this point, I have not decided on what to replace the wall finish with. I am leaning towards thin tougue-and-groove unfinished wood planking glued onto the fibergass interior wall.

I have also considered a lightweight indoor-outdoor carpet-like material. Also, a textured spackle paint (available in spray bombs) was considered - to conceal the irregular texture of the interior gelcoat

If anyone has any experience in refinishing their interior, I would appreciate hearing from you. Also photos of your finished product would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Wally
EricBerg

Post by EricBerg »

http://chryslersailing.lizards.net/

Check out this site, there are lots of pictures of 26' cabins, as well as good information.
jstplan

Interior

Post by jstplan »

My interior walls don't look bad with three coats of a very good, heavy bodied exterior latex enamel, semi gloss.
hotdot

Post by hotdot »

Hello, I'm slowly moving in that direction on my Chrysler 26. If you're thinking of putting wood on the bulkheads you should reference Spurs boat book, upgrading the cruising sailboat. He has some good examples, and shows you how to fasten the wood to the bulkhead. A good person to call for wood and ask questions is John at http://www.buckwoodcraft.com I worked with him before when I was redoing the interior of a different boat and he was very helpful and knowledgeable. Good Luck.
gimlisailor

Post by gimlisailor »

Thanks to all for your advice
Gimlisailor