launching without an extension

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Holiday

launching without an extension

Post by Holiday »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... GQZUDFXtrs#!

I ran across this video. A good example of launching without a rigid extension. I find a stout rope or towing strap to be much quicker and easier on the back than a length of 3x3 steel.
FranS

Post by FranS »

We always used a tow rope to ease it down the ramp, but it takes a set of brass ones to do it with a 38 foot fixed keel Beneteau :-)

I loves the audio... "Am I going off the side of the ramp like I think I am?"
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

What say ye Cap'n Scott?

I have a telescoping trailer tongue that works well, pulling it out and pushing it back in with the van. The problem around here is finding a ramp long enough. Many have a curb at the end to keep you from going off or very sudden drop off.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Well,
first of all, I'm no expert in shallow ramp launches! I'm extremely diligent in checking where I launch first. Even to the point of checking the depths of all our ramps in Everett and only launching and retreiving where I know it is deep enough.

Having said that, here are my experiences. Trailer one. Like new. Beautiful! Adjustable pads, extendible tongue, I beem construction, etc etc etc. Even Alan ( alanhod ) was shocked when I swapped it out for the older uglier trailer! I believe he secretely question my thoughts when he learned that brand new trailer was gone! Why would I swap a new trailer with an extension for my older trailer? Well, in short the boat sat at least 6-8 inches higher on said trailer. What that means to me is every time I launch, I MUST use the extension. I can not lauch alone. What a pita to be required to have help. The old trailer was low enough that I could actually launch without the extension! Yes, the truck tires got a little wet but hey, I could back up to the water, slide the boat off, tie it up, and go park the truck! YEAH! All alone!

Along comes trailer 3. OMG! The boat sits even LOWER on the third trailer than the second! Note to self, sell second trailer with Lady Jo I. Guess what, not only does the boat sit lower but . . . . .yes . . . . .you got it . . . .trailer 3 has an extension!!! WOW ! What a gain!

So now my C22 sits on trailer 3 the lowest of all three trailers! I can float her right off the trailer no problem.

Drawbacks to the low trailer:
I admit. Trailer one looked awesome. The boat sat high and proud. It was a site to be held! Perched high and sitting perfectly flat up there was my C22. However . . . . .water would gather on her decks at the tow rails. The water had no placce to drain.

The low trailer. Lady Jo sits low, and even looks to sag in the stern. Well, this allows easier launches AND . . . . . allows rain and winter waters to drain down the tiny little scuppers in the tow rail! NO standing water on the deck means less chance of a leak. Admitadly she does not LOOK as cool but hey, function over form is a big deal in my book.

So all that to say, LOWER YOUR BOAT ON THE TRAILER if at all possible. Even an inch will help! YES Get her down low. Slam that baby!

Oh yeah, your question:
Using a rope or tow strap to launch. This is a very well know and affective way to launch however I've never needed to do it. I highly recommend you look closely at your tongue jack and its wheel before you try a rope tongue launch. If you have a cheap bolt on ( I do ) tongue jack, maybe another option is better. I'd for sure consider a deent tongue jack welded on with a bigger wheel that the cheesy plastic wheel I currently have. Remember tongue weight is maybe 3-4 hundred pounds and you'll be going over at times a pretty crappy ramp with bumps, rocks, hole, traction slits, garbage, and many other things to bind your tongue jack wheel.

Again, I've never actually done this so my thoughts are simply my own ideas of what I'd look at on my trailer prior to a rope launch.

How's that for a lot of words that didn't say much! LOL!
Scott