C22 Rudder Question

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Papa Sailor

C22 Rudder Question

Post by Papa Sailor »

I recently removed the rudder asembly from my C22 and noticed that the nylon (?) bushings were a bit worn. They are about 1/16 of an inch oversized. The net effect being that the is play in the rudder shaft when it is installed.

My question is ... Is this amount of play acceptable? I personally would like a tight fit and eliminate all play but would probably need to replace the bushings (which appear to be just standard off the shelf thru hull fittings).

Any comments or suggestions?

Also, on the upper part of the rudder shaft where the tiller bracket attaches to the rudder post, the hole has been elongated. I'm thinking I need to drill the hole over size, press fit a bronze bushing, then ream to size. Or maybe just drill a new hole an inch or so further down the shaft.

Again, any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,
Andy
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Hey Andy,

Did you repair this already? I replaced mine with the standard through-hull fittings. I didn't notice the upper mount wasn't in line with the bottom, the hole in the cockpit was off midline ~1/8 inch, enough to bind up some after tightening everything up . Next time I'll be more careful, and probably have to enlarge/center the hole.

I'd be interested in seeing how you resolved your tiller bracket issue. I've heard some complain about how the tiller handle can be a shin banger. I still have mine to redo.

Thanks,
Billy
Papa Sailor

Post by Papa Sailor »

I haven't done anything yet and probably won't as boat repair season is almost over (I live in Minnesota). Thanks for the tip about keeping things in-line when installing. What thru hull fittings did you use and where did you buy them? Did you have to modify them in anyway?
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

I found the fittings at West Marine, took the old ones in to match up as close as possible.

I did have to run a 1 1/2" bit through them to open them up enough to get the rudder shaft up, especially with the misalignment. The hose inside I replaced as well, and I found it at "House of Hose." For some reason it was a funny diameter and can be a pain to get in. I put some silicone on all the fittings to keep things dry.

Hope it works!