time for me to stop lurking

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
queenannesrevenge

time for me to stop lurking

Post by queenannesrevenge »

I found this site about a year and a half ago while hunting for replacement parts for a Chrysler 22 that I aquired 6 months earlier. I finally got around to signing up as a member a few months ago. I have waited to introduce myself until I could post photographs since I've noticed that many of you really look forward to seeing photos from new members. I posted my avatar a few moments ago so posting or sharing photos should not be a problem any longer. I've browsed, hunted, and searched most of the posts and replies on this site and I owe all of you a supreme debt of gratitude for the way you all freely share information, knowledge, out of print data, experience, and the like. When I first got my Sandpiper she had barely survived a tornado. She lost her mast, boom, step, and every bit of rigging including some minor toerail damage and a dime-sized puncture below the waterline. I scoured the internet endlessly and found very little information and came up empty handed on my search for replacement parts. I almost gave up and decided my only option was to part her out How does a man reconcile with the idea of parting out his first sailboat? I came across this site and I can't describe the joy and relief I felt to find such a wealth of information. I found a boat in the for sale section here, called the man, and bought it over the phone. He described the boat as having a 3 foot gash along the hull so I figured I'd salvage what I needed and sell whatever remained. Once I saw the donor boat with my own eyes I discovered the gash in the hull was simply a scratch through the gelcoat, the fiberglass was 100% intact, not the major damage I expected. No way was I going to dismantle a perfectly good sailboat just to repair another one, irresponsible and reckless not to mention expensive. Needless to say, I now have 2 Sandpipers. I still haven't replaced the storm damaged parts on my original sailboat yet. I haven't managed to get my wallet and shopping list to meet at the same time. I seem to find what I'm looking for at the most inconvenient times but that's life. I'll get there one day soon. Then I'll have to decide which sailboat to keep, won't be an easy decision. Chrysler owners seem to really love their boats and are a loyal breed, a contrast to what I found with other owner groups. Some other sailboat owner group forums appear to exist as more of a social outlet, a place to swap recipes or show off their newest electronic gadget. This one feels more like a family to me. I've learned a great deal from the folks here and I am truly grateful to each and every one of you. Without this forum I would have learned many lessons the hard way or possibly not at all. I certainly hope I can bring something to this forum to pay forward what it has given me. Many thanks to those of you who keep this site up and running for the benefit and empowerment of us all. I'm happy to be here and glad not to be lurking in the background anymore. I've read so many of the posts and replies on here that I feel, in some small way, I know some of you already. I'll be sure to post some photos soon.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

I get to be the first, to say willcome aboard.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome aboard!

I read a few other forums but have to agree,,, this one is a daily check to see what you boys are up to. I am often amazed at the skill set you all have and the willingness to go the extra mile to help each other out!

Look forward to seeing picts of your boats too :lol:

Billy
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard!
Yes, you are correct! We love photos! LOL!

What you said is what this forum is all about! Helping each other and making friends!

As far as payback? LOL! Just ask questions! As folks answer them, there are other lurkers learning too so you are helping them and each of us as we get to see how one another might attack a problem!

Making the choice to choose which C22 to keep can be hard! Good luck!

Scott
mariner

Post by mariner »

Welcome!
1976 - C22
"AnneMarie"
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

I dare say 90% of us were lurkers at some point along the way... all lurkers welcomed here. GA. is close enough to N.C. for you to fall under the Southern Boy branch of the Chrysler Forum. I'm working on a C26 myself, don't let my number of post mislead you into thinking I know alot... its just the opposite. Its just I need to ask so many questions. :shock: Again welcome to the forum, and yes I'm one of those who like the photos.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Quite the avitar. ARGH!

Anyway, welcome aboard, I'm about 2 hours East straight down I-20 if you want to go for a ride. If next weekend is like this one, and the new sail makes it FEDEX ground this week, I'm getting the boat wet next weekend.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

A hearty WELCOME ABOARD and I myself and probably the most owners learn from the school of hard knocks and we try to avoid that on this site I know I have learned alot and others have as well. We will probably learn from you as well.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Welcome from s.e Wis....It is refreshing to see a newer poster...things kinda slow down over the winter months...help us keep this forum vibrant...Bill (astrorad)
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome aboard from EE's crew as well - I think its safe to say I've learned something from everyone that ever posted here, so jump right in !
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Welcome! Glad to have you out of the dark! Looking forward to those pics!!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
queenannesrevenge

Thanks to all of you for the hearty welcomes. My avatar is a picture that was given to me by my first boat captain. It is a drawing of Blackbeard titled "The terrible Teach". I'm not sure if you can read the title on my avatar due to its size. Blackbeard or Edward Teach's first vessel he named Queen Anne's Revenge. The ships he captained before her were owned by the monarchy of England, ironic that QAR was stolen, ahem, requisitioned from them as well. She was found recently near the Outer Banks of NC and archaeologists are salvaging what they can find. Notice the "t" in terrible, not capitalized? I think, and apparently the artist did as well, that Edward Teach was not so terrible after all, but a master of creating the illusion that he was the pirate of all pirates, the "T" in terrible if you will. Blackbeard's history as a privateer was not long lived but his name and reputation are familiar to many. I believe he was very calculated, clever, and cunning to intentionally construct and market himself to be dreaded and feared. I named my sailboat Queen Anne's Revenge as an aknowledgement to, and out of respect for, my first captain, among other reasons. I've yet to come up with a good name for my other C 22 but I'm rolling a few around in my head. I'm kind of hoping my Mom picks a name for her since she was the one who gave me the bug for wind and water. She and I took a sailing course when I was 7 or 8 years old. I was reviewing my old test booklet a few weeks ago. Whew, I still have alot to learn about sailing but some of my answers from back then were scary. LOL.
I'm in the process of uploading photos to photobucket but find it necessary to reduce their size so this may take a few days to complete. Over time, I've saved images of sailboat trailer setups that I found effective, interesting, or useful in some way. I'll include a seperate album with a link if anyone might like to see those. My intention is to set my trailer up for my Chrysler 22 but I'd like the option of converting it to haul other sailboats as well, regardless of keel depth or shape of boat hull. With a small amount of labor and minimal tools I should have the flexibility to haul most any sailboat in the 18 to 24 foot range without welding, permanant changes, or serious modifications. I expect the conversion time from a Chrysler 22 to another boat's profile to take less than an hour. I'll take many photos of the process as it unfolds. I also have an OEM Chrysler 22 cradle and would be happy to share photos, measurements, etc. if anyone wishes.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
queenannesrevenge

link to pics, I hope

I hope this works, we'll see.

http://s1061.photobucket.com/albums/t46 ... %20blocks/
Hey, it does work. Yeah. Interesting story on these pics. When I went to get this sailboat I knew nothing about Chryslers. The fellow I got her from told me that with the keel in the up position protruded 4" below the hull. The correct measurement is 18" if my memory serves me well. Boy, was I in for a surprise that day. I thought I'd never see the bottom of the keel come out of the water. I still wonder, sometimes, how me and a another guy ever got that sailboat onto that trailer, sheer determination and alot of luck is I say. It was a slow ride home too, more weight on one side of the trailer than the other. The load was not positioned over the axles very well either but it was a choice between balance or likely fiberglass damage. I was running out of daylight and the boat was taking on water so I have no photos of her on the lake, being loaded on the trailer, etc. I got some of the strangest looks on the way home, can you imagine? LOL. I'll post a link to more albums for you check out.
Last edited by queenannesrevenge on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chrysler 22 unnamed
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Thanks for feeding our group picture addiction. Wow, that looks way cleaner than some that have been brought home by some of our members. I wish you the best getting her useably afloat.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
queenannesrevenge

Paul wrote:Thanks for feeding our group picture addiction. Wow, that looks way cleaner than some that have been brought home by some of our members. I wish you the best getting her useably afloat.

Paul
I remember from a while back a guy on here that hauled a C22 full of mud out of a gully to refurbish. I'm not even sure how he managed to get in out of there at all. I seem to remember it was half buried. I consider myself very fortunate to have found, not one but two, c22's that I think are in superb condition. My 75, QAR, has never been modified in any way and my 76, unnamed, which I bought for parts, alterations are very minimal. I'm still shocked that the po wanted to part her out.
Chrysler 22 unnamed
queenannesrevenge

N41EF wrote:Quite the avitar. ARGH!

Anyway, welcome aboard, I'm about 2 hours East straight down I-20 if you want to go for a ride. If next weekend is like this one, and the new sail makes it FEDEX ground this week, I'm getting the boat wet next weekend.
I'd love nothing more than to come along with you but work keeps me from being able. Some other time, perhaps? I wish you happy sailing.
Chrysler 22 unnamed
Lucky Jack

Post by Lucky Jack »

Welcome. If you're at all inclined towards computer games, I waste far too much time on this one (www.burningsea.com) where lots of folks have fun pretending to be Edward Teach.
1980 C22 Rose Sea
queenannesrevenge

towing and launching with a Dakota

lecker68 wrote:A hearty WELCOME ABOARD and I myself and probably the most owners learn from the school of hard knocks and we try to avoid that on this site I know I have learned alot and others have as well. We will probably learn from you as well.
Off topic, I know, but I noticed your Dakota in the storm damage pics and had a question for you. By the way, I hope the damage to home and hearth was minimal. I've got a V8 automatic extended cab Dakota and even though my towing so far has not been in optimum conditions, check out my pics in my link, I'm still reluctant to launch my Chrysler 22 with my Dakota. Your input would help ease my mind on the Dakota or steer me to re-insure my F 150. You're hauling 4 more feet and alot more weight than I. How does your Dakota perform while towing? launching?etc.? My best speed was @ 60 mph hauling my blue C 22 on her cradle on my heavy duty utility trailer, enough floor reinforcement to haul a bobcat, estimating 6500 pounds that trip. Hauling QAR, also a Chrysler 22, white with red bottom and blue stripe, home (after hull damage and then some from a tornado) on her starboard side was tenuous, alot of weight on driver's side of the trailer and not much weight on the passenger side, estimating 5500 pounds, so I kept my speed around 50-55. I've got a standard cab V8 5 speed Dakota that will haul anything, and I mean anything. My heaviest load with that truck was a 26 hp 2WD diesel tractor, 5 ft bush hog, 5 ft tiller, 5 ft rock rake, 5 ft box blade, auger with 2 bits, extra PTO shafts, slip clutches, trailer weight around 2500 pounds, and all my tools and gear. Weight of the tractor is unknown but I'm guessing I hauled about 9000 pounds behind me. As long as there's a country mile to slow down and stop that truck is great but I'm in the middle of extensive repairs after recovering it when it was stolen and wrecked. I'm kinda concerned (5 speed) about trusting only the parking brake to hold my trailer, boat, and gear on a steep boat ramp. I'd certainly appreciate your input if you've got a moment.
Possibly a helpful tip for you: Dakotas, and most other trucks, come from the factory with phenolic (composite) brake caliper pistons. They heat up, absorb brake fluid, and swell up so they can't retract into the caliper, which causes the rotors to heat up and warp so when you apply the brake after the above mentioned issue the whole truck shakes badly enough to loosen teeth. I solved this problem on both trucks by replacing the calipers with ones that have steel caliper pistons. My first set (V8 5 speed standard cab)came from AutoZone but I think they discontinued them so my second set (V8 auto extended cab) came from NAPA and were @ $30 each. Steel piston calipers for a 3/4 ton Dodge van run $18 each where the re-build kits are @ $40 a side. Go figure, huh? On the Dodge Dakota, AutoZone MKD529 is the brake pad PN and they have a lifetime warranty. I bought a set in 1996 for the 5 speed and haven't paid for another brake pad in over a quarter million miles. I take my old, worn pads in to the parts counter, they keep the new box, and hand me my new pads free of charge. My automatic will be due for pads soon but I've only put around 60k miles on it but I'll be expecting the same result at the parts store.
Thanks much for any input you can offer concerning towing characteristics, etc. I'd certainly appreciate it.
Chrysler 22 unnamed
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My Dakota is 95 V8 5.2 auto tow rating is 7000 and she will tow anything my C26 my friends Bristol 26 both with trailers are about 7200 lb and the brakes are my concern. it will tow I am real cautious when launching and an trailer ext. is on my list because to get the trailer deep enough I have to put my front tires in the water. I want to get a 1 ton that is what I brought her home with last fall and had to look in the mirror to make sure it was there and the brakes were ample you have a boat approx.2000 lb lighter and should not be a problem I I admit a 1 ton may be overkill but if I want to head for the keys I can go. I would not even try with the Dakota. Also even with surge brakes the trailer can push you and when backing into the water it wants to pull you in "Gravity does work". Your trailer config.s look good use bunks with carpet and you have a cradle for the other boat.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
queenannesrevenge

Thanks for the info, certainly much appreciated. A friend and I were discussing trucks a while back and he told me that his Dad's Ford is a 3/4 ton truck that gets @ 28 mpg. That's better mileage than with an extended cab 1/2 ton V8 Ford and he's been very happy with the truck even though he downsized from a 1 ton dually. I'll hit him up for engine size, etc. if you're interested.
Chrysler 22 unnamed
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Sailing this week on the Norweigen Epic, and happened on alibrary book you might find interesting. Blackbeard, America's Most Notorius Pirate, By Angus Konstam.

Very detailed history type of read, alot of detail about people, places, and ships. Talks alot about the Caribean and coast Carolina's.

Especialy good book to read on deck in St Thomas waiting to set sail.

Fair Winds, Chuck
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
queenannesrevenge

Thanks for the info on the book. I browsed through part of it on amazon's website and it looks like a good read. Several reviews complained that there was too much history and not enough bloodshed but it is history and not a novel so I'm looking forward to reading it. I'm currently reading The Grapes of Wrath but the broken english becomes difficult to read after awhile so a change will be refreshing. I ordered a copy of the Blackbeard book last night for 90 cents and it should be here by next Friday. St. Thomas does seem like it would be the perfect place to be reading a book about a privateer turned pirate. Thanks again for the recommendation, Kurt.
Chrysler 22 unnamed