About to Purchase a Chrysler C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Ferdi The Bull

About to Purchase a Chrysler C-22

Post by Ferdi The Bull »

I am about to purchase a C-22 with original Chrysler trailer and Chrysler outboard. I am trying to stop myself, but am out of control. You know the feeling. Here is my main concern. The boat has been sitting forever. It was used only for teaching and is claimed to have never been in the water. What should I be looking for?

The hull appears to be brand new, all original, without a scratch or mark to be found anywhere. The gunnels are flawless. Topside decks are near new. The sails appear to be original and in the bag along with Harken rigging. Both sails appear to be new. Inside the cushions are perfect except for one. It has the pull out stove and sink, along with the cooler option. Original porta potty as well. Below decks, it is clean with only a faint trace of mustiness. The only signs of wear are: The teak rails topside are weathered but appear to be restorable. All (4) hatch hinges are broken with what appears to be an aluminum colored corrison. The only other thing that does not appear new is the keel. It is rusted with a evenness that makes 99.5% of the paint gone. Appears that a wire brush could clean it in 2-3 hours, but a sandblaster would do a better job in less that 20 minutes.

There are boxes and boxes of things like rigging (which I am not absolutely familar with for the boat), original manual and sales literature, plus all the coast guard necessities. I am trying to quickly familarize myself with all the hardware parts that came with the boat, and afraid that I will miss some needed parts, or that I overlook them when I inspect the boat again. Are Chrysler parts available anywhere?

As for the trailer, that is another case. It is a Chrysler S-3000?, single axle, and rusted everywhere. But not saltwater type rusted. Looks like I can rebuild it. Has a brand new original spare and wheel, extra inner tubes, and the motor. All of which were kept indoors. The motor was definately never used, as it is in museum quality. A few new pieces need to be made for the trailer and welded on. But as it sits, if I put on the spare tire, and use portable trailer lights I can trailer it home (less than a mile).

All sounds too good to be true - so what are the main things that I should be looking out for on a Chrysler C-22?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Wow. Just...wow...

I'll let C22 guys weigh in on specifics (beside the keel pin and bracket, which should be perfect if the boat was never used).

If it truly was never used, this 'could' be like an Antiques Roadshow moment..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

OMG :shock:
You may have found a New C22. (the holly grail for most folks on this web site)
Rigging still in the boxes!
Hatch hinges can be found at most marine stores.
The keel rust can be cleaned up with a disk sander and some rustolum paint. (depending if your going to sail in fresh or salt water.)
Chrysler parts are a bit scarce, but for most of the time they seem to last at least 35 years when used, so if these parts are still in the box, you should be good for awhile.
We would all love to see some pictures!
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

FIRST, WELCOME to the forum!

WOW! THAT sounds awesome!
I would not hesitate to buy the setup! Well, Price is an issue though.

I'd be very interested in getting unmolested copies of ALL the original documents! We have a document section under our home page that I would post them in for all to share! Let me know if you buy and are interested in sharing! Thanks!

Look under documents here to see what I'm talking about!
http://www.chryslersailors.com

Again welcome to the forum!
Scott
Ferdi The Bull

C-22 Responses

Post by Ferdi The Bull »

Thanks for the rapid replies. Captain Scott, if I get the boat I will look over the documentation. I have extremely high resolution scanners, and am very accomplished with Photoshop so can resurrect anything to original quality or better. Been calling all day to the owner to buy the boat but am getting no response. Maybe it was sold to someone else. I had my camera with me but forgot to take photos. Wish that I had.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome aboard, I wish you good luck on getting that sailboat. I wonder what the price of that boat would be. And how much someone would pay for a boat like that. If you mess out on that one, there are a lot of others out there.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: C-22 Responses

Post by CaptainScott »

Ferdi The Bull wrote:Thanks for the rapid replies. Captain Scott, if I get the boat I will look over the documentation. I have extremely high resolution scanners, and am very accomplished with Photoshop so can resurrect anything to original quality or better. Been calling all day to the owner to buy the boat but am getting no response. Maybe it was sold to someone else. I had my camera with me but forgot to take photos. Wish that I had.

That would be most generous to ALL Chrysler 22 owners! I thank you in advance for your willingness to share! Hope you get the boat! Like noted if you miss this one, there are many more in need of rescue!

Thanks!
Scott
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Now that you got your answer from the C-22 guys welcome aboard Ferdi and it sounds like you found a new old boat congrats I am glad it was not close to me that would be tempting.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Great find!! If you purchase her you will be in possession of what amounts to the Holy Grail of the Chrysler world, and as such take on much responsibility. You must take great care of this rarest of vessels. :wink:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Ferdi The Bull

No documentation - as I didn't get the boat

Post by Ferdi The Bull »

Capt. Scott,

I will not be able to provide the unmolested Chrysler C-22 docs as I did not purchase the boat. I called the seller repeatly, even spoke to his wife, but he never returned my call. Finally drove out there and saw the for sale sign was taken off the boat. At least I got to see what a brand new 1976 C-22 looked like with all the options intact. Oh well.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sorry you missed out on it...I predict an eBay in the future...
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: No documentation - as I didn't get the boat

Post by CaptainScott »

Ferdi The Bull wrote:Capt. Scott,

I will not be able to provide the unmolested Chrysler C-22 docs as I did not purchase the boat. I called the seller repeatly, even spoke to his wife, but he never returned my call. Finally drove out there and saw the for sale sign was taken off the boat. At least I got to see what a brand new 1976 C-22 looked like with all the options intact. Oh well.
That is too bad! Would have been cool to see a picture of a brand new CHrysler 22! LOL

Good luck on your hunt and we hope you hng around!

Scott