How does the mainstay attach?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
ra3don

How does the mainstay attach?

Post by ra3don »

Hello All,

I recently acquired a Chrysler C-22 and I'm not sure how the mainstay attaches. The current connector is too big for the front hole, what kind of connector should I get to replace this? Also, what type of connector is used to attach the jib?

This is my first sailboat so excuse the basic questions!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hello and welcome ! The shackle that's in the pic probably shouldn't be in use - what you should have is the turnbuckle attaching directly to the deck fitting with a pin going thru the upside down 'U' that the shackle's pin is going thru now.

I had this issue on another boat, and it was because the forestay was not original, was a bit short, and that's how the previous owner made up the difference. Wasn't able to safely get enough length by loosening the turnbuckle so I had to buy a longer one.

If the turnbuckle was connected directly to the front hole, then you could use that shackle to attach the jib to the rear hole.

Hope that helps,, maybe somebody can post a pic or link to one..
ra3don

Post by ra3don »

Great, thanks for the help. Yeah I think it was too short. Sounds like I will need to look at getting another turnbuckle or maybe finding a pin if it is long enough.

Can you point me in the right direction for finding one online? What i've found so far seems to be specific to lifelines.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

As usual, EE is exactly correct.

:mrgreen:

Scott
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

ra3don wrote:Can you point me in the right direction for finding one online? What i've found so far seems to be specific to lifelines.
Ordering online will of course mean you'll need a good measurement of the thread size on the forstay, etc..

I haven't bought any rigging online so I'll have to defer to someone else's suggestion..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

CaptainScott wrote:As usual, EE is exactly correct.

:mrgreen:

Scott
you can also get forestay extension which is 2 stainless plates with holes aprox.4" long you will also need 2 clevis pins and lock rings.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Lyle, excellent suggestion !
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Before you run out and buy hardware, check to see if the back stay (the cable for the back of the mast) turnbuckle is turned in too much (too short). Looking at the picture of your fore stay turnbuckle I'd say you have room for adjustment still ( in a way to make it longer). keep in mind that you will have to loosen the turnbuckle a fair amount to pin it into place due to the tension on the cable, then tighten it up to the correct tension. The rig will be tight when rigged properly. :wink:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

My forestay is rigged to the front hole, and I use the back stay to adjust tension. I loosen the back stay when I raise the mast and use a halyard to bring the forestay up enough to connect, then tighten the back stay. My jib attaches to the back hole using a stainless tack shackle mounted to the boat with a clevis.

Using the back stay as the adjustment means I can tweak it from the cockpit.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
ra3don

Post by ra3don »

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll take a closer look this weekend and see if there's enough adjustment. Any idea where I might could find a pin that would fit that shackle?
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

West Marine stocks pieces like that. Clevis pin, I think 1/4 inch diameter, measure to see how long you need. Should come with a stainless ring to secure it.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Buy a hole bag of Clevis pins and lock rings. Chrysler uses them all over, and it good to have spare parts.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place