New to the board

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DiverDarren

New to the board

Post by DiverDarren »

Ok so here is the story, I have been looking for a trailer sailor for about a year when I saw this Chrysler 22 on ebay in Washington.

I ended up winning the auction for $1000. The owner told me she was ready to sail and the trailer was in great shape.

I had the boat shipped via Uship.com for $300. Which was where the fun began. On the morning of pick up I had the shipper call me and tell me that the trailer had absolutely no lights on it and that the tires looked like hell. He told me that he would see how far he could get with the tires in the condition they were in, 15 minutes later I get a call that the tires are shredding and that he gonna stop and have him replace them. That ran me $125 a tire. After the tires were changed he successfully delivered it to the shop I work at in Dexter.

I took some photos as soon as it arrived to document the restoration

Upon receiving the boat I conducted a inspection and quickly discovered she was not "ready to sail". The previous owner could not have been more far from the truth. The boat is missing The tiller and assembly to rudder, cushions, galley table and mount post, the entire electrical system will have to be redone, the trailer will need to be rewired, the motor mount will need some modification, the main sail had a 7 inch rip and the 5 battens were cracked or missing, There was no door to cover the entrance near the sliding hatch, all the hinges for hatches, and the tracks for the sliding hatch.

The previous owner also failed to inform me that when she bought the boat she bought it without a title and only gave me a lousy bill of sail... And told me to tell the SOS/DMV to register the trailer as homemade because she didn`t have a title for it either!

The icing on the cake is the "FOR SALE" lettering you see on the side of the boat in the photos. Before I bought the boat the previous owner was doing a restore of her own and decided to have the boat painted which is great, except when she gave up her project she went out with a white bingo dauber and painted her information all over the F%&$(&# the boat.

BUT, I will persevere! The hull and deck of the boat are solid with no soft spots and The standing rigging is for the most part all there.

I will give more updates as the work continues and make sure to keep all of you guys informed and try not to annoy anyone with constant questions. Also If any of you guys have your hands on any of the parts I`m missing or know where I can get them from it would be greatly appreciated
Darren
1984 Siren 17
"The Ocean weeds out, from all the races of mankind that come upon it to make a living, a certain type of person. This type of person stays with the ocean, and the rest are cast back ashore to deal with the land people."
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Still a good price IMO. love to see the pics as you revive the beast :)

Im not sure what the rules are down there but in ON Canada you can get away with no regirstration on any boat that has under 9.9 hp and below......that means you dont have to have a HIN number or title. the Bill of sale will work. not to say that it is the best thing to do.

post lots of Pics!!!!!

Nick,
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

All I can say is, you should have been there to pick it up. Was the boat in Washington Michigan, if so that is not far from Dexter. I bet you wish you made the drive to see it be for making the bid. EBay did not have photos of the boat. I guess I was lucky I got all three of my boats on eBay the C 20 I got in St. Joe Michigan the Mac 25 I got in Akron Ohio and the C 26 I got in New Jersey. All were as described on eBay. One thing about eBay that I believe to be true is when you pick up the boat if it is not in the condition as stated in eBay you can walk away from it but no obligation to pay like a money back guarantee. Okay you got it and at good price so it needs some work but when it's done it'll truly be yours. The people in this forum are happy to help as am I.
Last edited by Chrysler20%26 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

To bad you didn't come and look at mine I am only about 2 hous away. I just sold it in December for $2,250. It had 4 sails all in good shape, all the cushions including the cockpit. Sliding galley. A new motor mount with a 1996 Nissan 9.9 with electric start and cockpit controls. A new axle and new tires on the trailer. It truely was ready to sail.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

We live and we learn. Welcome aboard!
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Been there and I got lucky and got to face the person good post Darren will answer any questions that I can and want to see her restored as we all do.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

That has to be the boat that we welcomed the new lady to our forumn and it seems like les than 48 hrs later it was on ebay. Same pic as the avatar. hmmmm. Well Darren, as has been stated here allready, she yours and u have plenty of help.

I am not far and Mike and some others aren't either.

Note the ironic circumstance. Dexter is right by the Chrysler proving grounds and you'll be certainly proving yourself with this girl. As you've probably seen we have some wonderful members near where our boats were made, but lets face it, Chrysler is a MI boat.
Glad to have another Great Lakes Sailor!

Jay-
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Oh man, Yiles!

Well there is good news... You got a Chrysler and it's sitting on a trailer too.

I'm thinking a weekend with the power washer and she'll clean up just fine. They always do.

As for the things you need to add and repair, it will be fun. I think you did get a good price for what you got. Sucks it was not as advertised condition.

Also looking at your avatar, you are more than a little handier than the average bear. Get er done, shipmate. We're here to answer questions and help source parts. Take lots of before and after photo's.

Thanks,
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Welcome to the forum, you will find that there are more C22s around than any other... must have been Chrysler's best saler back in the day. Another new member with an enclosed shop... :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Darren...my boat needs all kinds of little repairs and upgrades...but I believe that I will have confidence in her by knowing every inch of her.
If you look at it that way it helps in keeping you from discouragement.
Bill
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Bill has a good thought there...if you rebuild that boat she's all yours in every way. 'You' did all that great work.

Buying one in great shape means that the previous owner did all that great work..

There is a difference...in my opinion..
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

Sorry you got burned on the boat. The seller sounds like a real piece of work. I would go to Ebay and open a dispute due to the sellers dishonesty and misrepresentation, she owes you a partial refund. I would strongly recommend you check with your local registration office before you invest more time and money in this boat as you will not be able to launch or legally sell the boat without proper documentation, she shouldn't have, and if she stated she did have the doc's then she for sure owes you a complete refund. Hope this does not turn you off to sailboating.
Good luck
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Jmckammey, has it right. That would be the first thing on my list, of things to do. Next the clean up, start by using Clorox Bleach ( full strength ) put it in one of those yard sprayers and spray the bleach on a dry boat leave the bleach sit for about 10 min. then use a power wash to remove the dirt mildew and mold. To this inside and out, you will be surprised what a difference that will make. Like everyone says when you're done you'll know your boat Chryslers are good sailboats.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Sorry to hear about the boat. My first boat took two hours to saw up and three weeks to put out to the curb! If I'd have met up with this group I'd probably have been sailing her today. Lots of encouragement from people who have done some amazing resurrections and came out on top.

Here's a guy who crafted his own rudder head. It was flippin' beautiful!
Have hope, this site is an amazing resource.

BTW, I've just been to Dexter to pick up my '71 O'Day Daysailer. Got it the day before the tornado hit. Originally intended to flip it, but have since decided to keep it and use it while working on my C-20 at an enjoyable (and affordable) pace. LMAO
--------------
turbo1168 wrote:I made the rudder head and tiller mounting for our boat out of stainless. If there is a metal supply warehouse nearby, you could have the 3 plates cut to length, drill the holes and have a welding shop join it together. Doesn't look like a season killer to me!

Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Bruce, very nicely done. I found Ray Michigan on the map, it is about as far south in Michigan as one can get. Ohio and Indiana are very close by.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Thanks Bob, credit all goes to user turbo1168. My Ray (Ray Twp) is near Romeo, 'bout 26 miles north of Detroit
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Greetings Darren!

I got my boat with only a bill of sale - from another bill of sale - where the guy bought it from a storage company when it was abandoned. The trailer had no title and the vin number had been removed. Registering the boat in Colorado was easy - just took them the bill of sale. Registering the trailer involved a trip to the highway patrol to verify the lack of vin number. They then assigned a new colorado number and gave me plates. I found everyone very willing to work with me.

Mine also came with no rudder assembly, cushions, etc. Two summers later, however, and my avitar shows a trailer that is empty because the boat was in the water!

Make sure you visit the documentation section. It has plans for the rudder and post assembly. I began fabing a foam and glass rudder but got impatient, laminated some plywood, painted it with glass resin and took it saililng :-). I also made a drawing of the hatch boards dimensions. Let me know if you need a copy.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Hey you are going to have to repaint that hull why not blue with a maize stripe?
I do not live far from a lot of you guys, we might have to think about a meet up this summer.

Brian
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

From the phone number she looks like she came from Wisconsin. Did you win from the Rawhide boys ranch and if so you helped out a great organization with former Packers QB Bart Starr at the helm. If that is the case then why not paint her green with a yellow stripe. lol.

b
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Darren- As you see, plenty of offers for help. And here's another--I'm over on the left coast of Michigan, so not too far off. Maybe once you get the paperwork in order we can schedule a GI party on it. :wink:

Like has aslo been said, you will KNOW this boat by the time you put her in the water. It IS a process, but a labor of love to be sure.

Good luck!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

@Bruce

Did you make that tiller as well? It looks new in the photo. If yes could you take more photos or give more details? I would like to replace mine.

b
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

My my no! The pictures are from turbo1168's post. He made both the rudderhead and the tiller. The tiller was made from the handle of a posthole digger!
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... ght=tiller

Capt. Bondo also made a beautiful laminated tiller for himself and posted the whole process in two posts:

It was gorgeous!
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Darran it took me about 6 months to get my C-22 sea worthy do to lots of missing parts and no trailer to get it to the lake. I was lucky to find a parts boat that I had to travel 600 miles to get but well worth it.

Have fun while getting it sea worthy, it will help you get to know what a great boat you have.
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

Welcome aboard, Darren. I saw your "newly finished" sailboat on ebay while the auction was still active and placed it on my watch list. The auction photos were over exposed and there was little info listed about the boat itself. It seemed I remembered something peculiar that the seller stated about the final selling price and who the real winning bidder was so I went back and checked just now. I've never heard of a"cap" on the bidding price that the seller spoke of, goes counter to the definition of any auction. It seems fortunate that you got the sailboat as there were, supposedly, bidders ringing in after you. I've never seen an auction which stops at a pre-determined cap and refuses to accept any more offers once the cap is reached. I noticed the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating so I'm assuming you left them positive feedback or no feedback at all. The whole ebay deal seems very peculiar to me but, ultimately, you are the proud new owner of a Chrysler 22 Sandpiper and that's what counts in the end. Caveat emptor, or buyer beware, might be the lesson in this situation. Checking condition, paperwork, inventory, etc. beforehand saves surprises later. Hardware and bolt on parts are far easier issues to contend with than having a spongy deck or a blistered hull so it seems to me you still got a good boat for a good price. The first day you sail her you may reflect and think you got a great boat for a great price. I hope this is the case. I'm sorry to read of your transport difficulties, missing parts, etc. but I can tell you from experience that the time, money, and labor (sometimes blood, sweat, and tears too) you put into your boat will reward you greatly. The hard fought journey makes the arrival to destination taste so much sweeter, so to speak. Also, this being your first sailboat, your education and knowledge of sailboats, and specifically your model, will be enriched far beyond the initial aggrevation factor. Have you checked out the for sale section in this forum yet? 2 somewhat recent C 22 listings are in NC and FL. They both appear to have some parts available although the boats have sold.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
Creel

Post by Creel »

Hope she wasn't reported "stolen" like mine :lol:
DiverDarren

Post by DiverDarren »

Well I just want to give a quick update on my newly christened Chrysle 22 "Float On".

Since my last I have been at work on the restoration. My first task was to give the interior, cock pit, and top deck a proper washing. I took the advice from the board and used bleach paired with a power washer, and wouldn't you know it, there was a beautiful boat under all that muck and mud! Next I moved onto the hull and those damn painted on contact info from the previous owner. At first I tried to use elbow grease to remove the letters but I gave up that after an hour or so and tried a solvent called "Goof off" and as I applied it to the letters they melted away leaving my top coat intact and clean! Once I removed all the damn graffi I took a buffer and polished to a somewhat respectable shine considering the poor paint job.

My second course of action was to begin to compile all the necessities to return her to her glory days. So with the help of all your boats for ideas and tips I picked up these items for ;

A tiller from ruddercraft.com
masthead light
trailer light kit
Danforth anchor + 150' rode
dock lines
Lew Mar winches
bottom paint 1 gallon on sale
a bow pulpit
the rails for the sliding hatch
a tiller head
full sweat leather cushions
a table and pedestal
interior under seat hatch cover x2
took the main sail into shop had 5 new battons installed and rip repaired
fabricatated mast to spreader connector...
AS hinges for front hatch
Diddle block for traveler
custom sticker "Float on. Ann Arbor, MI"
and a Coleman 5hp outboard

It was fairly hard to find these parts to begin with but with the help from all your tips and parts drawing it was possible. I will post some photos in the morning and more as soon as all the parts and pieces are installed.. Thanks again

ooo. and btw the seller of the boat is sending out the replacement title this week... I've seen a scanned copy of it and have been assured it is on the way.
Darren
1984 Siren 17
"The Ocean weeds out, from all the races of mankind that come upon it to make a living, a certain type of person. This type of person stays with the ocean, and the rest are cast back ashore to deal with the land people."
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

SWEEEEET!
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

You've been busy! Way to go. It took me two summers to get mine water ready. I'm looking forward to this summer!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

You don't mess around when it comes to getting something done. I'm impressed. I imagine you'll be on the water in no time. I should have thought of the goof off. I used it on a few vehicles to remove old company logos and it worked great without affecting the original finish. I'm very glad to hear of the emergence of the title.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Talk about making lemonade when handed a lemon! I can't wait to see this boat when you're done with her, which sounds like it will be before Memorial Day at the clip you're going. Thanks for the update.
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann