Anyone know what this is? (on a C-26)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Anyone know what this is? (on a C-26)

Post by bearley »

I found this as I was cleaning out more stuff. It looks like a bulkhead bracket but I can't see where it would go. If it is, I hope it's an extra. Thanks in advance.

Image[/img]
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Looks like the same material as the chain plate brackets are made of, about the same size, same beveled edge. I checked the project and didn't see any pieces that short tho..
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I don't know but I would look at galley to bulkhead area or the bulkhead acrass from head to v berth only a guess.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

Kind'a looks like the backing plate for the fore stay.Image
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I don't think my 79's have that ! Forestay seems to go to a tang bolted in to the point of the bow. Do you guys both have bullet nosed '78's ?
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bearley »

Sauerleigh, I think you nailed it. Now I gotta get out there and see what is in its place.

I do have a bullet-nosed '77. I never heard it called that before, but since seeing my first one, I've always liked that design.

Thanks, People!
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I like it better myself, nice clean deck. Or course having twisted an ankle stepping down off my 79's raised foredeck..may color my thoughts..

As far as I can remember the 79's have a similar structure under the vberth , actually under the anchor locker that the 78's don't have, , with a hole it it too. Just nothing connected to it..
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

This is what it looks like in the bow of the 77 C-26

I would make sure it was an extra or has been replaced with something.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

You can just see the 'stub' of it as on a C26 here. Looks like they had to change the forestay mount to a bow tang to accomodate adding the anchor locker..Due to the hole in it I always though this was a tab they molded in the hull to have a grab place for lifting the hull from the mold..I learn something every day here...

bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bearley »

Well, Sauerleigh was correct. The bracket had been removed from beneath the fore stay. It also serves to help lock the deck to the hull. What's worse is that it appears that there was (is) a break in the deck itself. In the picture here, you can see a break line that goes from port to starboard, just above the triangular aluminum plate. From above, it's more of a hairline crack that appears to have been repaired. I never noticed this before. There is absolutely no indication of any repair on the hull, inside or out.

Could this be a stress fracture? I'm not sure that I can still find the PO to see if he knows the history. What do you think? I know that I will put the bracket back right away.

sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

The factory setup for the head stay bracket seemed like an afterthought. I've cut away a few inches of the plywood/glass member and plan add a SS plate bolted through the bow and then some SS links or a turnbuckle up to the a SS plate on the under side of the fore deck. It's on my to do list.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never