towingy

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
blu by you

towingy

Post by blu by you »

im considering towing my c 22 from fl to jersey forquestion is a cruise fron jersey to cape cod. my question , does anyone know of any weakness on the trailers. been in dry dock since last may interior is done lighting is new. i will leave as soon as the docs are done with me (triple bypass) also, i may a chrysler force 150 for sale (not running) but complete thanks
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
Creel

Post by Creel »

We towed out 10 hours from Palm Beach FL to Tallahassee, FL on a approx 6,000 lb rated tandem with no problems. One of the better pulling trailers I've had. Boat sat perfect with no issues.
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Do you have an original trailer?
Single axle?, double?
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW! Triply bypass! Glad you are doing well!

As far as trailers in general, make sure the wheel bearings are properly lubed! If you have brakes on the trailertry not to let the overheat if you have any large hills to go up and down. Also make sure all your trailer lights are working!

I towed my c22 for several hours Monday with an original trailer and had no issues with towing.

Scott
John K

Post by John K »

I have the same question as J. Austin.

Personally, if I were towing that far on a single axle trailer, I would probably replace all of the bearings regardless of what condition I THINK they are in. I had a bearing go out on I-20 on my first day of ownership and it was not fun. It got so hot that the grease was on fire. It was lubed fine, but still just worn the heck out. This happened on the port side. The PO had just told me a couple of hours before that he had just replaced starboard bearings. :roll:

What he probably neglected to tell me was that he replaced them after a catastrophic failure. Now whenever I use the trailer, I attentively watch in the rear view mirror for smoke. As time permits, I am planning to upgrade it to a bigger axle, if not add another on to it. Aside from that, make sure the tires are in very good shape because that's a hell of a lot of weight. And use those safety chains! Good luck!
1977 C22: Dog House
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

I towed my empty trailer from Williamsport PA to St Petersburg FL, picked up my C-22 and trailed it all the way home. I had replaced the wheel bearings and the tires before leaving. Every morning before I started towing I would top off the bearing grease, ride a mile or so, and then check the bearings to see if they were hot. They never were.

On my Dodge Ram 1500 I turned off the overdrive to handle the load and set my cruise control for 65 mph on the interstate. It was an uneventful trip.

Overkill? I don't know, but it worked for me.
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
38 special
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by 38 special »

I towed my C26 200 miles to my house from it marina in northern WI about 4 months ago. I replaced all four tires as they were ariginal and once wheel bearing that was in total failure and lubed the others. The trip was uneventfull. I did have extra wheel bearings on hand just in case. Just hook it up and go, you'll get use to it after some miles out on the road.
The earth is 75% water,can you sail?
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

:D Its great you are doing well. Good luck on the tow. :D
C-26
Hunter 29.5
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I agree make sure tires and bearings are up in perfect shape and any long distance tow I always stop first mile or two if bearings are not hot stop about every 300 to 400 miles for you to rest and the trailer too when you first stop check to see if bearings are hot if you have bearing buddies you can add grease and make sure it is waterproof marine trailer grease with a grease gun and if hot stop sooner next time.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

I towed my Chrysler 10 hours one way then 10 hrs back last year at interstate speeds. The boat and trailer did fine, easier than towing a travel trailer by far. Check bearings and tire inflation for sure, more importantly in my book is to carry a spare tire and make sure you have a jack and tools to change the tire should you need to. Nothing like trying to find a spare on the road after the fact. Ask me how I know. :oops:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Jmckamey wrote:Nothing like trying to find a spare on the road after the fact. Ask me how I know. :oops:
Tried to find a spare in Hammond, LA on a Sunday afternoon when EE came home after Katrina...I feel your pain... :oops:

The jack is a good suggestion to check - your tow vehicle jack may not work on the trailer due to height and such..
John K

Post by John K »

Hammond is such a sprawling metropolis, I just can't believe that was a problem! :lol:
1977 C22: Dog House
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

LOL, yeah, right. Although you would think with 2 major Interstates intersecting there, plus two huge truck service centers, and a WalMart and a Lowes there you'd be able to find at least a heavy tire that would fit!!!!

Next time you go thru there, you can pull into the Burger King, and as you roll over the curb you can say, 'here's where EE's back left tire rolled off the rim and stranded them for hours...'
blu by you

towing

Post by blu by you »

i have the original single axle trailer
im a new chrysler c 22 owner (bought it the end of may )i will be sailing out of port ritchie fl
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

I have taken the C20 on a couple four hour trips up north (orig trailer w bracing repairs). Once my gluteal muscles finally un-clenched (about an hour), all was fine. A very good following trailer actually. I believe the C20 and C22 use the same trailer, S3000-B. As long as the lights work, wheels are greased and the rubber is good, I wouldn't hesitate.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I towed a single axle trailer from Pa to NC recently. Taking it down had 2 purposes. One was to stop in De and pick up a load of lumber...tax free. 2nd was to pull my 26 out of the water, fit it to the trailer and fix my rudder downhaul. (another thread). This trailer will have a 2nd axle put under it to bring it up to 7000#. Before the trip, I pulled and cleaned the bearings. One side was good, the other side I replaced. The first 15 miles of my trip are back roads, 35 40. Before I get on the high speed roads I stop and check everything. After on the highway I check at everytime I stop. I took my Harbor Freight laser temp gun along and shot the hubs when I stopped. Intresing to see the new bearings ran 20* cooler than the old ones. I don't know if that was the bearings or I had one side a bit tighter than the other.
Clair