Any thoughts on a Chrysler Cluster sometime this year?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Any thoughts on a Chrysler Cluster sometime this year?

Post by hp18carr »

I'm in no posistion to start the ball rolling on this... but I will do what I can if someone is in a posistion to do so. Out there in Chrysler Land has anyone thought of trying another Chrysler Cluster for sometime this year. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Sounds like fun!

Anyone in the PNW interested?
We've tried a couple of times here but everyone is so busy it is hard to get one going!

Scott
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I can coordinate the SE Atlanta/ Augusta area
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Creel

Post by Creel »

I'm still a couple of months out, money and time have gotten in the way...
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Those of you wondering just how and where the first Chrysler Cluster came about and why Cluster was the optimum word, do a forum search under Chrysler Cluster. Even being a Cluster with only a few members attending... it was still great fun. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I'm a member of a few different types of things.

The Diesel VW guys have GTG (get togethers) where they meet and work on cars. There are regional meetings and I went to one in Chapin SC last year and there were 62 cars. Different people offered different specialties, electrical, wheel bearings, brakes, exhaust, timing, tuning and fuel. i served as one of the fuel system guru's and i did fuel system flushes on 8 cars in 5 hours. Lot of fun and teaches the less experienced people how to do maintenance.

The homebuilt airplane people do fiberglass workshops where they learn about vaccum molding and glass layups.

The Porsche guys do drives in the moutains, kind of like a regatta I guess. Land Rover guys get together and going 4 wheeling.

I could see a sailing cluster or a working cluster. For a boat working cluster imagine 5 guys who need or want to replace their keel pin actually do it on someone's boat. Of a group of people who want to learn about painting the hull actually sanding and painting a boat or part of a boat. Or learning about glass work, and actually grind out and make a repair. If you need to do a keel pin would you drive 6 hours to learn how someone else did it? I know you can read posts and look at pictures, but have you SEEN it?
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

N41EF

There is truth in what you say; there is no better way to learn than hands on. I would love to get together with a group of guys and drop the keel on a C26 and change out the pin and shoes if need be. Like wise on painting the hull, my C26 project has a number of small bare spots right down to the fiberglass could thye be patched in some way or will I need to strip everything and start from scratchy? I would gladly make a 6 hour trip for true hands on trianing. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I thought my C22 had dings in it, but I swear when I sanded it it looks like mold marks, that were prob filled with something, but after 30 years of sanding and painting needed attention.

The high gloss paint also makes every dip and bump show. of course, it's me being critical, it looks so much better than when I brought it home, but it will never look like a new boat.
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

I'd look forward to a GTO but, truthfully, from my vantage point these days I'd be more apt to set aside the time and money for a working cluster. I've got alot of work to do and always ready to learn somthing new and if I'm able to help a friend in the process all the better. Seeing and sailing with several other Chrysler sailboats and owners sounds pretty enticing too. Too early for any idea on where this year might be? I'll follow the replies and see where the schedule and location ends up.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Alrighty then..... I propose, that we get together on a 3 day weekend and make some dust. or sparks, or whatever. SC, NC, GA, FL are all within a few hours drive. Location is a biggie, and room for several people to bring boats and room to work on them. For better or worse I can cover that stuff here at my house. I live just off I-20 in SC, exit 11, or 11 miles from the GA boarder. Spring Summer, Fall kind of depends on who can come.

Maybe some one in michigan, or the Seattle area can step up and sponsor something Fromt eh VW world, a seperate thread for the differnt areas works. I'll start a SE thread tonight.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

I have absolutely no fiberglass/epoxy experience and must get my leaking C26 keel trunk glassed ASAP. You guys may see photos of another kind of cluster coming out of Texas soon.
Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

have confidence Bob there are some good vids on youtube
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Where is you leak Bob, corner flat part of pocket?
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

It's to the lower right of the cable hose. It looks like it is the same location as on Jeff's Windward if I am remembering Jeff's photos correctly.
Bob T . . .
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

3" to 4" long wrapping around the corner. I'll try to get a picture up this weekend.
Bob T . . .
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Bob

Hope your keel leak does not keep you out of the water for long. As far as figerglass/epoxy experience I'm in the same boat as you. I picked up a little book of Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance by West Systems that covers the above quiet well.

Queenannesrevenge... a working cluster sounds more inviting for those of us project sailors. N41EF, if it comes down to your place (just saying) count me in. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
sauerleigh

Post by sauerleigh »

retclt
This is an older post regarding a leaky keel. I'm not certain if the fellow ever resolved the issue.
viewtopic.php?t=1898&highlight=

A working get together sounds like an interesting idea.
1978 Chrysler 26 "Maudie Kay"
1984 Catalina 25 "REDUX" (rebuild)
It's better late than never
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Thanks sauerleigh. I hadn't thought of the fix it for the season angle as they discussed. I'm under a lot of pressure to get the boat in the water for the local concert/sailing season. As much as I want to be in the water I think I'll take the time now to get her done right and shoot for being in by the 4th of July fireworks.

I looked though your photos and found them very helpful. I have a '79 with a lot of teak outside. I was looking at $300 in teak to replace it all. After seeing the rot you dealt with and knowing that mine is getting a perpetual soaking through the wood . . . I think I'll go woodless except for the companionway hatch slides.
Bob T . . .