Welll . . .. . .I did it again . . . . . .

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welll . . .. . .I did it again . . . . . .

Post by CaptainScott »

Day before yesterday I was surfing Craigslist and there it was. Decent looking C20. She looks pretty complete but in need of a good ole fashoned bath. After some serious studying of her she appears to have no real issues other than simply winter storage dirt. The sliding hatch is a little rough but otherwise pretty decent. The genoa has a few mouse nibble holes but some sail patch will fix that.

Previous owner was setting her up to over night in. New anchor light, spreader lights, etc.

So sitting at home is my C22 AND my new C20!

Where does it stop???????
Scott

Here is the ad and details:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/boa/2957273747.html
it will likely go away soon.
John K

Post by John K »

It's a sickness I tell ya!
1977 C22: Dog House
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Try sailing it, you will love it. Best an biggest small sailboat made, that is what I think about it. You once had two C-22s, I never could see the point of that. But now you have not two of a kind but two vary nice sailboats. GOOD JOB
Last edited by Chrysler20%26 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

:lol: love it! :lol:

If your thinikng to keep one on this side of the mountains... For when you to come visit your daughter, so you can come sailing with Windwalker and I,,, I'm thinking that sounds like a good idea! I could make room at our place :wink:
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Welll . . .. . .I did it again . . . . . .

Post by EmergencyExit »

CaptainScott wrote:Where does it stop???????
Scott
It varies, but there's an irate wife and a broom involved when you get there...
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Frankly I don't see how you guys do it... just my first project is taxing me to my mental and financial limit. :shock:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler C26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I know,mentally I'm about drained working on two right now, touch up painting the Cal 21 and finishing the project C26.

But one is for sale ( www.sailingtexas.com/201201/scal21105.html ) and the C26 will be very soon... and that will get me back down to one...unless of course I take those proceeds and buy, maybe, a ..... :twisted:
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

hp18carr wrote:Frankly I don't see how you guys do it...

Boats are easy.
The difficulties begin with keeping the better half happy! lol!

Actually I am quite fortunate that my bride tolerates me and my sick addictions to sailing and sailboats.

Scott
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

And Terrance,

Once done with your current project, with all that vast knowledg and new skills... The next one will be easier, better, faster... See how it hooks you in an ya run with it till the SO gets involved... Just sayin

Hi, mine is Billy.... :wink:
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

And people thought craigslist was just for massages and hookers!
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Scott, that's truly one of the most beautiful boats I've ever seen. Her lines...her profile... her...WAIT!!!........ I gotta take a ride and see if mine's still in the barn up north! Congrats. I saw this one out there on CL and honestly hoped some regular CS'r would pick her up. Chrysler Cruiser's baby sister seems to be getting more popular 8) You'll love this boat. Nothing like going for a nice easy day sail with five or six of your favorite peeps all seated comfortably in the cockpit where they belong.

BTW, Can't wait to see her added to your web page.

Ps: Kudos to the PO for even thinking of using her as an overnighter. I haven't slept anywhere with my head that close to a can since I got out of college...LMAO!!!

Pps: Did what again? :shock:
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

EmergencyExit wrote:
CaptainScott wrote:Where does it stop???????
Scott
It varies, but there's an irate wife and a broom involved when you get there...
I can agree with EE at least here it would.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

The redhead has informed EE he was upgraded to a Louisville Slugger after the broom failed to prevent the project C26 from following him home...ouch, that's gonna leave a mark next time...
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

EE please don't let the redhead and my first mate talk or we are done.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

Congrats...and welcome to the C20 gang! Just starting to get on the discussion board again as sailing season is nearing. The boat looks great...even looks like it has a nice shiny hull. What's better than 1 nice boat? 2 nice boats...right?!?!?!?
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL!
Yeah I'm pretty exited about the C20! She has a so far very nice running 8 hp long shaft Eninrude with charging, 4 sails including a roller furler and a sail for it, the guy put a lot of extra items in the deal as he was upgrading her.

For those curious, no. I did not pay his 2500 asking price. I swapped for a motorcycle I had for sale. My heart was not in the bike so selling it became an issue. I did not want to do the basic clean up to make it worth lots of money. They guy with the C20 CLEARLY wanted my bike. So We made the swap. I figure my heart is definately in the Chrysler sailboats and I actually enjoy cleaning them up, fixing things, etc. I rode the bike to his place, he towed the C20 back to mine and gave me a ride home. All paper work was done prior to moving the boat so titles are on their way!

Only thing missing is the cushions are gone. No worries for me in a day sailor. I have yet yo go over the boat with a fine toothed comb. I'm sure there are more items here and there that I will like.

She did give me a scare though! It was raining heavily when I brought her home so we just dropped her in my main driveway. Next day I had Lady Jo hooked up to the truck and pulled out of the extra driveway. Hooked up the Explorer to the C20 Currently named "CHANCE". As I backed her into her parking spot I got out to double check positioning, etc and saw a TON of water coming out of the keel area! OMG! Not another keel pin repair I'm thinking . . . . . after a few minutes I realize she has a cockpit drain that goes through the center of the boat and into the keel trunk! LOL! WHEW! that was just water in the cockpit draining! LOL!

So given the drain position, I parked her as flat as I visually could where the C22 is parked stern low.

Billy, I would love to have her stored in Easter Wa for sailing in Idaho! How fun! However it is not really practical for me. Taryn will finish her certificate program in May and has decided to come home and work towards a teaching degree.

In all likely hood I will clean up Chance, make sure she is whole and complete, play with her, and eventually sell her to make room for the next project. I may just use the cash to buy a cemetary plot since my wife about killed me when I brought her home!

You see, we were selling the bike to make more room at home. Being ride of the bike and bringing a 20' boat home did not sit well logically with her! LOL!!!

So . . .. . . . Any of you local folks interested in seeing a Chrysler 20 up close and in person, COME ON BY!

Alan, you just missed her by about 30 hours! LOL!

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Nice deal! and LMAO, the water coming out of the keel freaked me out at first sight too. Cushions, they're there to be polite to guests as far as I'm concerned. Nice if you got 'em, but it's another item to store. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with this boat!
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

HEy Bruce, looks like Chance is an exact sister of your C20! Off white with the gold/yellow stripes! She is also a 78!

Maybe we should compare hull numbers! Wonder if the came off the line together!!

I'm also interested in your methods of stepping your mast. There are no toe rails so my gin pole and bridal system built for Lady Jo will not work.

When I took posession of her, I used a block and tackle to lower from the forstay and the previous owner muscled it down! I have not even lifted the mast to see how heavy it is.

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Yep, side by side 'Doublemint Twins' :lol: Unless you look at the goofed up the shoal keel on mine :x Next week doing a little plastic surgery on her though :wink: BTW, her hull# is: CBC54259M78K and identical twinship would be a hoot!

Mast raising: How good's your ticker? 'cause I tend to puff a bit after raising it solo. 'Taint a piece of cake, though it says it can be done in the manual (of course if you look at the Chrysler ads, everybody using these boats are in their mid 20's tops, you NEVER see a geezer like myself... anywhere nearby). I also used my daughter's boyfriend most of the time last year :wink:, but they broke up :shock:, now I've got to warm a new bo up to sailing. Unfortunately he's a farmacy student (w/ a 'ph' not an 'f' :LOL - spam filter) with a great GPA and I fear not much time to indulge in such dalliances.

Mizzousailor has a pretty good setup for an A-Frame raising system for his C-20, which he did a great job of documenting: http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... t=c20+mast I actually made one but haven't used it yet. I'm a bit skittish about the downward and backward pressure on the side stay hardware and deck after a while, but he hasn't had any prob with it. Another idea I saw yesterday was a weighted bucket assist. I have to think about it and see if it could be adapted to the C-20: http://home.comcast.net/~vic-sitter/sit ... ed9690ae84

Of course, if I become SIMULTANEOUSLY stupid and lazy, I can give Anthony (old bo) a call after things cool down a bit :twisted: . Naw, that's just asking to be slapped from ALL sides! :roll: LMAO
Last edited by cs3079 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

cs3079 wrote: Another idea I saw yesterday was a weighted bucket assist. I have to think about it and see if it could be adapted to the C-20: http://home.comcast.net/~vic-sitter/sit ... ed9690ae84
I tested that same system on the Cal 21 with a concrete block as a weight (it was nearby and the right weight).

Works great, mast goes up one one easy push - the other day my backstay got tangled up and I was able to let go of the mast a good bit short of vertical and it just stayed put while I went back and took care of it..

The trick is the correct weight, and be sure you have enough height on the pole - you do not want the weight hitting the ground before the mast is up, nor hitting the top pulley before it is down.

If you look at the ad you can see the pole I'm using in the top pic

http://sailingtexas.com/201201/scal21105.html

When lowering the mast you actually have to tug on it to get it to start aft due to the weight.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey, I like the weight on a pole idea! I might be trying that one soon!
Excellent! Thanks!

Scott
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

BTW: One more thing re the original 'muscle' method. I use a block attached to the jib chain-plate to haul the front stay line up, I do not wrap the line around the bow pulpit as prescribed in the C-20 manual. That's just plain ol' silly!
Bruce
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI

- Earnest K. Gann
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

EmergencyExit wrote:The redhead has informed EE he was upgraded to a Louisville Slugger after the broom failed to prevent the project C26 from following him home...ouch, that's gonna leave a mark next time...
It's the frying pan that you need to look out for, that bugger can fly out of the cabinet with out notice :shock: ...Or so I'm told :wink:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Point taken well !
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

The C-20 water running out from the whole where the keel cabal runs. Wait till you sail it in ruff water, water will shout out that whole like the blow whole on Moby dick. There is a table pedestal that fits in that fits in that whole. And yes that mast is a monster 26 foot 9 inches, and no place to hook up bridles. The mast on my c-26 is 29 foot 8 inches, only 3 feet less than the C-20. I made up a frame for mine using to pieces of conduit one-inch inside diameter by 10 foot long. I drilled a hole in the bottom of the conduit about 4 inches up from the bottom. I removed the forward shroud from the turnbuckle, so that I can attach the conduit through the turnbuckle it an a P B C pipe will fit inside the conduit. I have the P B C sticking out 1 inch an in 4 inches, at the other end of the conduit I added about a four-inch piece of angle and join the tops of both conduit to it. I put my block and tackle on top, and added an extra piece of line. I stand a frame up tilted a little to the Stern and tie it off at the front of the boat. I can then use the block and tackle to you the raised the mast. If I were to trailer the boat often I would remove the forward stays altogether and just used to conduit. Another thing is the center point of the mast is about 2 foot past the end of the boat. So you will need to somehow support the mast.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

The C-20 's look like great boats. I only day sail my 22 and all that extra room in the cockpit of a 20 would be fantastic. I really like that table in the cockpit.
Enjoy!!
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
John K

Post by John K »

I agree Beady, it looks pretty great. Among my small group of friends at the marina there is an Oday Mariner 19 and a Victoria 18. I would love to see how one of these babies does next to them.
1977 C22: Dog House
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

CaptainScott wrote:
So sitting at home is my C22 AND my new C20!

Where does it stop???????
Scott
Hmm, Stop? What is the "Stop" thing you talk about in reference to a Chrysler sailboat? I do not understand this "Stop" thing at all. :?:

I still need a C-26, just the money, the time, and the boat never seem to match up. I'll be patient.

Ah "Stop." It is an oxymoron in reference to a Chrysler Sailboat. I get it, it was a joke. Stop buying Chrysler Sailboats, Good one! :D Too funny :P Stop indeed, aahhha, too funny. :lol:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing