Toerail source needed

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Windwalker

Toerail source needed

Post by Windwalker »

Does anyone have a source of aluminum toerail for a 78 Chrysler 26. We had a windstorm up here last week the the bowlines parted (I had two on both sides!) and the boat blew up against the slip on the starboard side and peeled up about a four foot section about even with the mast. Must have been quite a wind, under bare poles the boat had to heel about 30 degrees to cause the amount of damage that occured.

I would prefer to replace with a matched rail, but will consider replacing all of the toerail if I have to.

Thanks in advance.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ouch, sorry to read that !

How many feet were damaged ? If not much and you can't find a match, possibly remove the damaged and take it to a machine shop.

Could be they can get some same dimension T-extrusion and cut a matching drain holes in the old section, if not straighten the damaged piece itself.

I priced whole toe rail sections last year and it was not cheap.
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Actually less then a foot is damaged beyond usability. Maybe cutting out the damaged section and move the rear section forward to cover the gap. Attached is a photo of the damage. The boat tried to roll onto the slip side. The scratch marks are made by the cleat on the slip, this is what caused the damage to the rail. The secondary marks are from the two fenders I had on that side.

I was going to refinish the hull anyway. The boat is now on the trailer and obviously remain there for awhile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I thought I posted a reply yesterday, but it never showed up.

If I see the pic right, that section of toe rail by the middle chainplate is the part damaged beyond repair ?

If so, you may be right, and you could splice out the bad, slide from the stern forward and weld the good back together. You're going to want to drill new fastening holes in that area anyway. That and a bit of glass work and you'll be fine.

I dug around around and could only come up with one place that sold toe rail in short sections, bound to be more than that tho. Anyway, link is below

http://www.polecatpushpoles.com/products.htm

let us know how it goes !
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that company a try.

I'm assuming the rail can't be reshaped, I'll give it try once I get the rail off the boat, but it is beat pretty bad. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Guillaume C.

Post by Guillaume C. »

From what I see this could probably be straightened, but is a bit tricky (I have some experience shaping metal: www.armoury.org)

I dont know alloy&threatment of this aluminium, but if too springy, some heat could get it back flat.
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

That sounds like a good solution. I would agree the rubber rail is more useful on the stern than the bow.

If you didn't want to use wood, could you use metal and extend the sides of the piece that caps the toerail at the bow ?

Good luck, keep us posted, we may be in the same shape ourselves one day !

BL