C-22 Information

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
x2e0a1

C-22 Information

Post by x2e0a1 »

Hello Everyone
Newbie to the board here, I've been lurking for a while and thought that it wasw finally time to jump in feet first so to speak. I'm new to sailing but it has been a lifelong interest, and I've reached that stage in life where I can do something about it. I have a line on several C-22's. A 1975, 1976 and a 1978. Besides the swing keel pin and structure what else should I be looking at or for when I take a look at this boats? And Thank You in advance for your thoughts.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Welcome to the family. I'm in the process of stripping and painting my keel, as I replace the keel pin brackets. It is a pain, but if you only have to do it every 30 years it works out. Here's what I'd check:
1) Standing rigging, make sure it has all of the stays and are in good shape, someone recently said $250+ to replace.
2) Sails, my 30 year old main shredded as soon as it took a strain, $475 to replace.
3) Keel cable, $20. Make two and carry a spare.
4) Mast rasing pin and bridals $20. Raising the mast by yourself is very doable with theis stuff.
5) Rudder hose, 30 year old piece of rubber $10
6) Bottom paint, 24 hours and $30 in materials.
7) Rudder ropes, cheap but a pain to replace.
8) Running rigging, $160 to replace mine with sta-set and new hardware.
9)Trailer lights, if they don't work perfect, replace all of the wiring and LED lights, $35
10) Trailer tires, single axel? Accident waiting to happen? $220
11) Trailer wheel bearings, $30
12) Keel pocket where keel cable snapped and keel went fwd in trunk? $10 and a few hours.
13) Lights? new running, steaming, deck and wiring $90
14) Trailer bunks, new carpet is $20, lumber and hardware are cheap, just replace it.

The keel brackets are the biggest pain, I'm halfway with 20 hours and $450 in so far. I've posted drawings, wait for rev 1 and find a machine shop to make you a set.

Search is your friend, or feel free to ask questions, this is a pretty flame free place, we've all been newbies like you
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Welcome!

Ditto... Also hardware for the rigging. There is a parts list in the main page documents section you can see if anything os missing.

Take a flashlight with you :wink: Check the topdeck for softspots around the shrouds, stanchions, forestay an backstay especially.

Expect to do some wiring also.

These are solid fun to sail boats when restored properly, but yea, they Re 30+,yrs old now!

Billy

Oh, picts, ya have to post them here!
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Can't add much to these guys!
Welcome aboard!

Scott
x2e0a1

Post by x2e0a1 »

Thank you very much gentlemen. I really appreciate the information. It was just the sort of stuff that I was looking for. And I had noticed that this seemed to be a very flame free board. I promise if any of these boats pan out I will most definately post some pictures.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome, good luck finding your Chrysler sailboat.
John K

Post by John K »

Welcome!

You might also need to deal with leaky windows. If the frames are in good shape you should be able to fix that with a day or two of work and $20.00 worth of sealant. Also look for leaky lifeline stanchions. The sidedecks are cored with plywood and can rot. The upper deck is honeycomb, and not as critical. You will need to boat to be on the hard to get a really good look at it (that's probably assumed, given your awareness of the keel bracket situation). The aluminum rudder cheeks need to be inspected for deterioration. Mine were heavily oxidized and the post/cheek assembly had to be replaced, because they did eventually split away from the post. Also check the PVC bearings that hold the rudder post in place. Cheers!
1977 C22: Dog House
skyking

Post by skyking »

Welcome...
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Welcome ! And good luck with the search..
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Welcome.
Find out any previous owner (PO) history, where the boat was used, salt water or fresh water? How the boat was morned, has it spent a lot of time in the water or on it trailer?
This info may be hard to come by since most of these boats are seldom for sale by the origional owner.

An Outboard has another list depending on brand and size.

Good Luck
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Welcome aboard and best of luck with your search.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Welcome to the Chrysler Brain Trust!

This is all just my Opinion, but I think the crew will back me up here.

The first, biggest thing is this Web site. Everything else can be solved with some work and some money. The how to do it is here. If it's not here we will figure it out, invent it, improve it, implement it. This is the Chrysler Sailors knowledge base.

Got a Chrysler Sailboat problem, take a photo, and post the question and the photo here. Oh and if you got a cool idea, post it here too. This group has saved me a fortune in money and time by fixing, improving, sourcing parts and even better idea's. I proudly stand on the knowledgeable shoulders of my Chrysler Crew right here and They hopefully find my ideas useful as well.

So my advise is look at the boat in person. Pick the one that just reaches out and grabs your heart, best looking, nicest feel, etc. These Chrysler's just seem to become part of the family.

:P

Oh yea, get it with a trailer if you can. You will want it eventually even if you don't think you need it now.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing