Outboard motor brackets

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
boatgals

Outboard motor brackets

Post by boatgals »

We are upgrading from a 6hp 2-stroke to a 9.9hp 4-stroke. We don't know if our original bracket can handle the new heavier motor.

We think the bracket on the boat is an original, no identifying manufacturers make or model. The boat is an 1980.

West Marine sells 4-stroke brackets vs. regular brackets, what's the difference?

Any ideas?
Rich

Post by Rich »

I recently upgraded my Chrysler 6hp motor to a Suzuki 8hp, and durring that process was also seriously considering a 4 stroke, would have gone that route, but just couldn't fit my budget. Anyway, what I learned durring the shopping process was that 4 strokes have a lot more torque and will put a lot more strain on the motor mount, thus the need for a beefier mount. Even if the mount can handle the weight it may not be able to handle the weight combined with the torque.

I replaced my motor mount and am much happier with it. There wasn't much involved in replacing it, drilled 4 new holes and sealed the old ones. The new motor mount is MUCH eaiser to lower and raise, I don't have to bend down so low to pull up the motor, and it's much easier on the back. :D

The mount I got was $139 at Boaters World, made for salt water use, and if I remember right, I think it could handle a 4 stroke.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
choyado

9.9 hp

Post by choyado »

I have a 77 chrysler 22 and it has a 9.9 hp 4 stroke Honda on it. It has the original motor bracket and it works fine. I think my engine weighs about 60 lbs. I've never had a problem with this set up.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Wow, you have a light 4 stroke. Most 9.9's even the Honda 8 hp 4 strokes that are newer all weigh in around 100 pounds these days, according to the specs I read when I was shopping for a new motor. The lightest 4 stroke in the 8 hp range, which is what I was looking at, was 86lbs. and the heaviest was 114lbs.
"Yeah, God's given us this beautiful day. Let His Spirit fill your soul like the wind in the sails!" -Walkin' on the Docks
choyado

mabe I don't know my own strength

Post by choyado »

I was just guessing about the weight. :?: My motor is an early eightys motor so it probably weighs more than the newer ones but i dont have any problems with the motor bracket.
choyado

outboard

Post by choyado »

I just weighed mine and it weighs 82lbs. Its a 9.9 hp honda longshaft. (bf100)
boatgals

Post by boatgals »

Thanks for all the input.

I had a mechanic look at the bracket and he said "no way." I ended up buying a new bracket built for up to 9.9hp 4-stroke engines and up to 130lbs ($214). The Mercury 9.9hp 4-stroke long shaft is 112 lbs.

The bracket instalation instructions said that if the transom thickness is less than 2" we should fabricate a beefier area so I am throwing up a 3/4" marine-grade plywood and encasing it in fiberglass.
choyado

Post by choyado »

thats a heavy motor I cant belive thy weigh that much these days.
Rich

Post by Rich »

Choyodo, even the newer Honda's come in at 107lbs for the 9.9 Xtra long shaft, 98lbs for the Long and 92lbs for the short shaft, but these are the new style models. They have a sort of rounded look to them. I'm betting you have the other model they make, which has a squared off look to it? These do come in at under 90lbs, and are relatively the same motor today as they were back in the late 80's. They still make that model (but I couldn't find it listed on Honda-marine's web site, but I know they make them as I saw them on the showroom floor next to the kind they do have on the web site) and that was the model I was thinking about buying myself. It's not quite as torquey (is that a word?) as the newer design, and it is lighter plus it costs less.....but still I just couldn't pull out $1800 for a new 8hp or $1400 for a used one. Nice thing about Honda's is they sure hold the value, I even saw a Honda '86 10hp that was $1000, but chances are it would need a new water pump and stuff, as it hadn't been run for almost 13 years. (you know what they say about lack of use on engines, it can be worse for an engine than heavy usage.)
choyado

Post by choyado »

I weighed mine while holding it and standing on a bathroom scale.(probably not the most acurate way ) It is the older squared of model (bf100). It works well but burns a little oil. I'll probably be doing a overhaul on it soon. I'm a yamaha man my self but the motor came with the boat and runs pretty good so i cant complain.