C22 Masts

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Sailfrog

C22 Masts

Post by Sailfrog »

My C-22 has been sitting for about 10 years according to the paperwork, so I'm going through everything prior to putting it in the water.

When I pulled the mast head off I found the mast packed full of Styrofoam peanuts. Top to bottom. Are these masts filled like this from the factory, or did some PO stuff it full in an attempt to stop the halyards from banging? I'll need to pull/blow them out so I can run new wires inside the mast, but I'm wondering if I should put them back after I finish.

Dan
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Just a guess, but I bet some one put them in there to keep the wires from rattling inside the mast. You don't need to put them back, just put long tie-wraps on the wires and that will prevent them.

You can pull both ends off, and use a leaf blower to blow them out.

Good luck with it, post pictures, search is your friend, but don't be affraid to ask questions.

PS Welcome to the family!

Chuck
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Sailfrog

C22 Masts

Post by Sailfrog »

Thanks for the response. I figured as much, but I wanted to make sure before I took them out.

I have a full set of instructions for the boat (a copy of which I uploaded here several years ago) but I don't have an original wiring diagram. If anyone has a set I'd appreciate a copy. Otherwise, I'll just figure it out.

Dan
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

In the doccuments section here, you'll find a lighting diagram that Chrysler provided, was in a book of stuff when I bought my boat. I'm finishing up re-wiring, or I should say wiring my boat and will post a drawing when I finish.

There is a post in elrctrical about what I've done so far, and someone else is doing something similar and recently put pictures in.
Last edited by N41EF on Sun May 13, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

On my O'Days the masts are filled w/ foam to prevent the boats from turtling :shock: if capsized. I haven't checked the C20, but I'd be willing to bet it is. Just got her back from her winter barn today. I'll have to see tomorrow.
Last edited by cs3079 on Fri May 11, 2012 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

No Chrysler did not fill the mast with foam, but it would be a good idea.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Funny my C-22 Mast was filled with about a foot of I think Spray in Styrofoam at the base. I originally thought the foam went all the way up the mast. After re-wiring the mast I found it was only in the bottom.

After almost dropping my mast over the side the first time a raised it while in the water. That foam inside seemed like a good idea at that very moment. Other then that, I see no use for the foam at all.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
LeatherneckPA
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by LeatherneckPA »

Okay, so since I have to rewire my lights anyway, maybe I should buy a couple bags of peanuts to backfill the mast afterward as flotation? The question arises, will filling the mast with peanuts actually keep it from sinking if it were to fall OB?
Iron Mike - Semper Fidelis
Jack of all trades, Master of none
1978 C-22: Believer
FranS

Post by FranS »

Maybe just long enough to get a line around it.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Maybe since I'm new to sailing, I'm missing something. but the only way I see a C22 turning over is if you loose the keel. If you loose the keel, nothing is going to turn the boat back over. Foam penuts aren't going to make a whole lot of difference. Not that I lay awake thinking of these things, but you'd have to disconect the stays and take the mast off to get it to right.

After reading other's thoughts, I used the long tiewraps to make sure the wires don't slap. Foam or peanuts might hold water and let corrossion eat things inside.