OEM C-22 Stainless Steel Pin for Rasing the Mast

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

OEM C-22 Stainless Steel Pin for Rasing the Mast

Post by Alanhod »

Hi All,

About a year ago, hmm maybe longer, Captain Scott and I came across a C-22 OEM Stainless Steel Pin for Rasing the Mast. You know the pin you stick in the end of your boom and the other end into the forward base of your mast. Well Captain Scott asked me to put a micrometer to it and get the exact measurements.

Here they are. (2.9715 inches long by 0.6275 inches wide. These measurements are very precise, taken from multiple locations on the OEM pin.)

It shows saw marks and burns from being cut off at both ends. The edges at the ends are beveled off lightly by hand with a grinder at, I would say a 45 degree angle.

It is high quality stainless steal that was stored in a wet place for a LONG time. It shows no sign of corrosion at all. Only blemishes are the cut off burns from the day it was made.

I have the OEM Bridals too but have not measured them yet. Those I will have in a future posting.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

Hi Alan. I was wondering what that pin at the mast's base function was. I figured it for an ineffective way to lock the mast base to the hook on the mast step after raising the mast. I suppose I need to finish studying the many pdf files I've downloaded from the documentation section. Many thanks to everyone who contributed, by the way. Thanks for the measurements on the stainless steel pin you've got as well as the education. My mast has an old, stubborn, very rusty pin instead of the stainless you mentioned. You just made my job that much easier, once the old pin finally gives up its grip where I can remove it. Marvel Mystery Oil hasn't done the trick yet but I lube and test the pin almost every day, at it for almost 2 weeks. I'm just hoping a PO didn't force an over-sized pin through the hole but nothing a reciprocating saw and a drill press can't fix.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

The 3" long dimension surprises me! The length is not critical because it goes into the boom were there are no obstructions for about 8 feet. I was concerned I would misplace mine so it is 9 inches long - all three of them: One in my mast raising bag, one in the back of the Yukon, and another kept on board. Got to the lake once with no pin... it ain't happen' again!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
skyking

Post by skyking »

queenannesrevenge wrote: Marvel Mystery Oil hasn't done the trick yet but I lube and test the pin almost every day, at it for almost 2 weeks.
Get a can of PB Blaster from any local auto parts , walmart etc...it works wonders on rust & corrosion.... :D
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

queenannesrevenge wrote:I'm just hoping a PO didn't force an over-sized pin through the hole but nothing a reciprocating saw and a drill press can't fix.
You know having the pin stuck in the hole may be a good thing :?
If it does not stick out to far, and is not a hazard to trip over, you may just want to keep it there :shock: At least you won't loose/forget it when you need it, like so many of us have :roll:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place