Jib or Main in Higher Winds

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
jbbkamp

Jib or Main in Higher Winds

Post by jbbkamp »

Can't wait to get the boat out on the water for the first time tomorrow. Done a lot to it over the off season including: New Paint, New Cushions, New Rudder Lines, Re-did all the Wood, repainting the C20 emblem on sail, bunch of odds and ends. Should make the boat sail better...right?!?!?! (I'll send pics when I get chance).

Anyway, wondering what's the better sail to fly for stiff winds? Jib or Main. Tomorrow is suppose to be winds 15-25mph gusting to 35. Sounds like fun to me, but with the family aboard and my parents, I'd better keep it relatively calm.
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

It's about feeling comfy in your own skin. If ya look good, ya feel good. It sounds like you got her lookin'n pretty good!

... I always use the main. It feels more controlled to me, easier to dump and recover in the wind. I hear that reefing is a good thing too, but I haven't tried that yet :oops: .... but I will this seaason!
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Ya got to love the range of wind we get in the mid-west, on the St. Croix yesterday afternoon we had winds at 30 with gusts to 40 :shock:
But we still got Brian's mast up and his boat launched :) ...but that another story.

On my C22 I would fly 90% jib with a reef in the main. a reef will help reduce the efficts of the gusts.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
John K

Post by John K »

Brian I have never sailed my 22 for a sustained amount of time on just one sail. I have been in some really knarly stuff with the main reefed and the 110% jib. If I had to pick just one, it would probably be the main, but I have seen plenty of people cruising around with just a headsail. Using just the headsail would probably help you get across the wind a bit better. You might need to experiment a little if your crew is nervous. It's on those really heavy days that I wish I had a storm jib.
1977 C22: Dog House
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Safety first :wink:

How big is the jib? How many reef points in the main an are you set up to reef already? Putting in a reef can make a huge differance for sure, start that way an see how it goes, Than add the jib, if thats too much drop it. Keep your eye's up wind and be ready when the gusts come....

Dont forget the life jackets and be ready to bail water if ya bury the windows :lol:
monty

Post by monty »

as a single- hander I use my furling 150 most of the time. The only problem,though, is the lack of weather helm when your not paying much attention in the gusts!
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

We have a 110 genoa and the main. Maybe we'll get out there and try the genoa and reefed main first. Any trick in reefing the main or do you just tie it under the boom? Never had a need to consider doing it.
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Tied up woorks fine,

Do it asap, or at the dock if possible. Flake the main on top of the boom and tie tight front and back. The ones in between should be snug but dont strees them...
IMHO

Have fun!
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

Thanks for all the input...we chickened out :oops: Winds were sustained 20-25 but gusting to 35. We would have still considered going out but 2 other sailors had already turned around and motored back, 1 turned his car around after checking out and said he was trying another day, and 2 others said they were going to set up the boats and not brave the lake. In addition the winds were blowing straight into the marina so there were waves at the loading ramp. Wouldn't have been fun!!!

Used my better senses for once and set up the boat and left in dry dock, goint to take the day off from work on Monday and enjoy some easy 10mph winds!
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Good not to put in with ruff water at the ramp, she would get beat up by the trailer. What out board are you using, extra long shaft I hope. When loading on the trailer, if you let the keel down about 20% It will center the boat on the trailer.
Jmckamey

Post by Jmckamey »

When the wind got up I'd use the Genoa alone and found the boat (C22) to be very comfortable and responsive. I experimented with the main alone and found the boat to be sluggish and less responsive, so I always started with the Genoa then added the main reefed. I think you made a good call not to take on the 20-25 with gusts at 35. These are small and tender boats and it's no fun spending all day on your side fighting the rudder and rig. There's no shame in making it a nice motoring day until you get more comfortable with the boat, but even with those winds and the waves they can whip up you would need a good and DEPENDABLE motor. As Capitan Ron says, If anything will happen, it will happen out there boss. :wink:
1977 Chrysler 22
Ground to windward is dearly bought, but easly spent.
John K

Post by John K »

Don't be humbled by your decision. I can't blame you at all. If the weather scares the crap out of your crew on their first outing, they may not want to come out again.
1977 C22: Dog House
jbbkamp

Post by jbbkamp »

Good thing to learn from each others experiences. I had visions of Bruces experience last yearwith the dock and didn't think we should do a sequel. We have a 5hp long shaft tohatsu that's pretty good, but like any outboard has given us problems at all the wrong times.
Brian
1978 Chrysler C-20
Des Moines, IA
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Very wise :D

There's sayin skydivers, and pilots have,, "better to be on the ground, wishing you were in the air, than in the air wishin you were on the ground."

Been a few times I shoulda done what you did, an exactly as stated, you don't wont to scare future rail meat!!
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

It's a wise decision to not go beyond the capabilities of captain, crew or equipment.

I was always told: There are old sailors and bold sailors, but not many old, bold sailors.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Yep! Good move that, Brian! Never want to repeat it again. I want to take the C20 up to Hubbard Lake for Memorial Day weekend this year if I can get a full day's sailing in and the weather is fully accommodating (sunny, 72 deg and 11 mph winds out of the east predicted for Sunday. PERFECT! - so far)

I'll have wifey along this time, and she's much more ornery than her dad when I do stupid things. Someone would definitely be booted out of the boat early, and I'm not sure she'd toss me a ring either. :shock: LMAO
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Like the term "Prudent Sailer" 8)
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place