running rigging

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Kevin Dreher

running rigging

Post by Kevin Dreher »

i tried to find some topics on running rigging. i could not find the info i was looking for. i remember people posting where they ordered there rigging from, and how long each line had to be. i could use this info for ordering new running rigging this week. thanks
get n lost
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

ok Kevin...here is the posting for running rigging dimensions...viewtopic.php?t=2676&highlight=sheet+florida
This is the place that Scott got his and I also got mine.
Bill
queenannesrevenge

Post by queenannesrevenge »

Someone here had good results with standing rigging from SecoSouth. I, personally, have never bought anything from them so I can't rate their services or products. I don't know if they'd be a good resource for running rigging or not but thought I'd throw in my two cents. I don't have their website address but I seem to remember the original poster receiving faster service by telephone. Their number is 800-438-2486. Good luck.
Chrysler 22 Queen Anne's Revenge
Chrysler 22 unnamed
http://photobucket.com/kurtspicsandsuchTheterribleTeach
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Mariner and I bought our standing rigging from SecoSouth...had good service by phone as stated...not sure if they do running rigging, although I had them make up new wire halyards for me...jib and mainsail.
Bill
John K

Post by John K »

This is where I found the best deals on running rigging (not affiliated in any way). http://www.onlineropestore.com/index.ph ... acht+braid
1977 C22: Dog House
John K

Post by John K »

I'd like to add that the stuff I linked to looks and handles exactly like Sta-set. I think it's the same, but you're not paying the premium for marketing costs.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Not to hi-jack the post , but it seems like a good place to ask the question.
I have a cruising spininker that is currently rigged with a single 1/4" 3-Strand Twisted Nylon sheet.
What should I be using?
Should I use two sheets like a jib would have?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
John K

Post by John K »

That's a good question. Mine is symmetrical, so I'm no help. Personally, I would try it with two and see how it works out for you. I am starting to use a whisker pole on my 170% genoa for such instances.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Capt. Bondo wrote:Not to hi-jack the post , but it seems like a good place to ask the question.
I have a cruising spininker that is currently rigged with a single 1/4" 3-Strand Twisted Nylon sheet.
What should I be using?
Should I use two sheets like a jib would have?

The Cruising Spinnaker should be asymetrical and likely can be flown without a spinnaker pole. Picture flying it like a giant genoa. You would want two sheets.
Each sheet should be at least the length of your boat plus what it takes to go around a stern block, back to the winches, and then cleated off. The sheet in use is typically refered to as the spinnaker sheet or "Active Sheet". The sheet not is use is called the "Lazy Sheet". Some folks refer to the "lazy Sheet" as a "Guy". This is not technically correct. The "Guy" is what controls the spinnaker pole.

AS far as sheets go, you have to compromise. You really want the lightest rope possible with the strength necessary. Remember your spinnaker is typically used in lighter winds. IF the winds are so light and your sheets are heavy, your spinnaker will simply collapse due to the weight of the lines! You want line that does not stretch.

Problem with the light lines is they have a smaller diameter and this are very hard on your hands. IF you have any kind of breeze and you are flying the spinnaker AND you have tiny lines you'll instantly know what I mean! Thus . . . . .Sailing gloves will help.

On Destiny our asymetrical spinnaker is set up such that when jibing ( we don't tack the spinnaker ) we loosen the active sheet all the way such that the spinnaker can fly all the way out forward of the boat. It goes forward and around the forstay, then we pull the lazy sheet ( now the active sheet ) swinging the spinnaker back around the other side until she fills. If you can picture this, you can see why the sheets must be very long! I believe twice the length of the boat for each is the recommendation.

Check West Marines catalog. They have lots of recommendations for line size and strength. I use Stay Set X everywhere except the main sheet. The Main sheet gets a lot of hands on action so I use a yacht braid there. A little bigger and softer on my hands!

Hope this helps.
Scott
Nicknick32

Post by Nicknick32 »

Sails ropes and now blocks

What's the ideal spot for your. Lock on the toe rail for your genoa I think 115%?
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I bought my lines on eBay from a guy that runs a shop called Milwaulkee Rigging. I did 3/8 white/red and white/green. Both longer than stock, jib is 60' main is 80' to allow it to be used to raise mast withough an extension.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

thanks for all the replies, when i raised the mast a couple weeks ago, i noticed that the main sheet was thicker then the halyards. i am pretty sure that the main sheet was half inch. any one else have this on there main sheet. thanks again for all the great info.
kevin
get n lost
John K

Post by John K »

My sheets are heavier as well (jib and main). I don't think they're quite 1/2" though. I think it might be 7/16".
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

i ordered from onlineropestore.com. i ordered last night and i got an email for delivery date for the 25th. not to bad.

after looking at my main sheet again, it probably was 7/16. i went with 3/8 line for the main sheet. i ordered 90ft blue flake for halyards, 47 ft green flake and red flake for jib sheets plus seven extra feet of each for the ropes for the rudder, i ordered 40 ft of black flake for the main sheet, and 36 feet of black flake 1/4 inch for the boom vang i hope thats enough for it, and i think i ordered 80 ft of 3/16 rope for the out haul and topping lift. total came to 162 with shipping. not to bad. thanks again for all the help.
get n lost