mods/reapairs to c-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
terra firma sailor

mods/reapairs to c-22

Post by terra firma sailor »

Greetings all....I joined the forum in july of 2010 right after obtaining my '76 c-22 on july 4th. In august I fell 25 plus feet and was laid up quite awhile. I am now back to looking at my boat and was about to start some clean up and repairs. As near as i can tell the boat has not been registered in about 25 years and next week I am trailering it to Port Aransas Texas on the gulf coast to let a licensed capt inspect it and recommend needed repairs before learning to sail it with his instruction. I am get exciting now.......never sailed a day in my life but always wanted to learn. Everytime I call his marina his wife says, "its wayne, the man with 2 sailboats that doesn't sail.....haha" I also have another chrysler, a 1978 buccaneer 18 and mid way through a 12' home built wooden daysailer build. My wife says i am sick..lol

Specifically my questions

I am going to put a porta potty under the v berth port side forward of the bulkhead. I am going to build a wooden platform to set the potty on. How should my 2 by framing wood be fastened to the fiberglass? Screws, polyurethane construction adhesive , a 3m type adhesive fastener or combination of all? I am not sure construction adhesive will work and a bit uneasy about using a screw. What would you guys recommend?

I am also wanting to re-seal /caulk the toe rail to deck mating area. All sealant has pretty much left long ago, just a 1/8 to 3/16 crack now. What is best used here?
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Glass.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

By that, I mean fiberglass and epoxy. Check out West systems epoxies, they are great for bonding wood to your hull.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Welcome back, in August 2010 you fell 25 plus feet. Not many live to tell about that, what happened. Lucky
terra firma sailor

Post by terra firma sailor »

Thanks for the obvious, of course epoxy and fiberglass duh....I have almost 2 gallons of epoxy right here in the garage using on my 12 footer I am building.
Oh and chrysler 20%26 I was fully extended on a 28 foot extension ladder on a steep gable of a 2 story house roof top doing some repairs. After my chore was done I was coming down and as I committed to the ladder from the roof , first rung, down went the ladder and so did I. I now understand what is meant by its not the height thats the problem just the sudden stop,,, ouch.When I hit the ground I wasn't real sure if I was alive, dead or dying. Yes , lucky I am , I landed about 4 feet from a concrete slab and hit the turf and its plenty hard. The doctors at the ER said I should be dead and I had used 1 of my free passes. I am convinced its the prayer I said before getting on the ladder that kept me from dying. I crushed my pelvis and my left forearm and a few surgeries and lots of screws and such, pysical therapy I am almost as good as new.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Man, I fell from the C26 cabin top onto the cockpit coaming on my back, and that was horrible enough...I might be tempted to rename that boat "Lucky One"
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Here is the factory mount from my C22:

There is a steel angle screwed to the plywood frame the pooper sits on. I extended mine to mount a small battery box for my lawnmower sized battery.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting