Boat fell off props - what damage to look for?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
LesleyS

Boat fell off props - what damage to look for?

Post by LesleyS »

Hello everyone, Happy New Year!

I'm sad to report that the Kiwi II fell off her props at the marina during a windstorm just before Christmas. Only found out when we went down to celebrate New Years on deck, and found her lying a considerable distance from where she was propped, and listing badly. Turns out someone at the marina had released a chain on the props while adjusting them and had not reattached it.

SO - we're going to talk to the marina owner about what should be done. The only visible damage is large chunks of hull paint missing where all the props were, and scuffing of the paint on the bow - probably the point that first impacted the ground. She had been propped VERY high in the air, probably 3 or 4 feet off the ground. According to the marina, they had propped her high so that they could access the swing keel and inspect the pivot pin. As a result, she would have fallen a good ways when the props let go. I'm guessing that the marina is responsible for repairing any damage to the boat. I don't think my father carries any insurance on the hull for damage, just for liability.

WHAT are your opinions on the damage that might not be immediately visible? Amazingly, the rigging all looks intact, and we couldn't see any immediate signs of damage to any of the rigging. We couldn't climb aboard because it had only been partially righted and wasn't at all secure on her props when we saw the boat around New Years.

Do I need to get a marine surveyor to inspect the boat? I'm new to boating, and not familiar with surveryors or what to ask them. I'm not at all familiar with the hull construction of the swing-keel Chryslers and where possible failures might occur in an accident of this type.

Thanks in advance for any information, advice or suggestions anyone on the forum has to offer.

Lesley
Kiwi II
1979 Chrysler 26
Wilmington, Delaware
OldUgly

damage

Post by OldUgly »

Happy new year indeed. It can only get better for you.
My opinion on this is that the marina is liable for damage and their insurance company should be picking up the tab on repairs. The insurance company may require a marine inspection anyway. It's worth a call to your ins agent to inquire about what demands to make of the marina's insurance company.

Cheers.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I might also be asking them (the marina) why no one was notified of the accident, assuming that if they were working on her (inspecting the keel pin, etc.) then they should have noticed when she fell off.

I'd agree about the inspection being their responsibility - both pre and post repairs