C22 Stemhead fitting

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

C22 Stemhead fitting

Post by astrorad »

Removed my stemhead fitting today for inspection...it was slightly bent to the side so I thought that I had better take a closer look. Good Idea!!!!
It had a nice longitudinal crack on the weld line...I could actually see daylight when looking through the top downward.

Rather than have it welded I have found one on the Dwyer Mast website that looks like it will work...Part number DH 698...Large Stemhead Fitting...only 1/4 inch larger on each side and 4 mounting holes instead of 3...$29.65.

I'll let everyone know how it looks when I get it.
Bill
astrorad

Stemhead Update

Post by astrorad »

I received the Dwyer stemhead fitting...it looks to be good quality but it isn't going to work for the C22...I neglected to ask Dwyer what size boat it was designed for until after getting it in my hands...shame on me.
They responded to my query that the stemhead fitting is designed for boats 17 feet and under. Although the DH 698 is dimensionally correct and the base material seems to be very close in thickness to the Chrysler OEM fitting, the upright section is only about half the thickness of the Chrysler fitting.
Oh well...back to the drawing board!!!
Bill
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Bill, best wishes on your repare.
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Bob...Thank you for the offer but I had a certified welder repair it for me...he did such a good job on it that I am sure that it is stronger now than when new. He polished it up real pretty too...Dwyer let me return the other fitting for refund. Thanks again....Bill
Bill
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Ah Bill you sent me scrambling to Google. What is a "Stemhead Fitting" anyway? Please correct me if my findings are wrong.

It is the metal deck attach point for my standing rigging for the fore stay and another for the back stay. Most of what I find on the internet seem to be the fore stay.

Enquireing minds need to know.

Is it this bit...?

Or this bit...?

Or is it a bit all together different from the bit's I'm talking about?

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Hey Alan...it is the fore stay/jib fitting and yours is identical to mine...I will try to do a short video to show where it was cracked and how it was repaired.
Bill