Advice for buying a C 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Adelantero

Advice for buying a C 26

Post by Adelantero »

Hello everyone! I've been shopping around all summer for a boat I can live aboard, and I've recently found a Chrysler 26 listed nearby that looks promising. I've been scouring the forums here and am super grateful for all the information you guys have been putting out there for each other, so I'm aware of the keel pin issue as something to look out for.

But: Any advice you can offer me for when I go take a look at this boat? I'm hoping for a first viewing tomorrow, and I plan to take my camera, a notebook, and a knowledgeable friend. I'll be crawling all over, looking at every bit of the boat I can and taking pictures for later scrutiny. Are there any other recurring issues I should keep a close eye out for with these boats?

This is a 1977 C 26, and has been out of the water for a number of years now. It does however come with a bunch of goodies (how many 26-ers come with radar, eh?). I want a boat I can sail around in (I live in coastal Maine), but most important right now is that she floats, and that I can make a home in her (and not pay rent - I'm a student). I work on a 46-foot research vessel, so I'm familiar with boats in a useful way, but I know all of you have endless experience with these boats and know all their ins and outs.

Thanks!

Alex
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Alex

Welcome to the forum... younger blood is always welcomed. I would not consider myself as one knowing all the ins and outs of a Chrysler, I'll leave that to the wiser members among us. Taking a knowledgeable friend with you is always a good first move; we will all be looking for photos.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 2980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

These tend to get a soft spot in the sole at the foot of the stairs, but thats a minor fix.
pics here
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 280782&ck=

Check the hull for small blisters, both of my C26's have have the same rash in the area of the bow. If there's any bottom paint on the boat that will be hard to see tho..

pic here
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 282392&ck=

Cheeks on the rudder plate are a concern, they were a bit underbuilt and tend to have horizontal stress cracks at the leading edge where the rudder tube attaches to the side plates. Also the mushroom shaped bearing where the rudder tube goes into the hull tends to crack and break.

pic here
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 294266&ck=

If possible lower the keel weight fully on the trailer so there's no weight on the winch, then try to rock the winch stand back and forth. If it gives a lot that could be a sign of rot in that area where the winch stand attaches to the sides of the keel trunk...

pic used to be here, seems to be missing
http://pwp.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep ... 280786&ck=

Check the tiller bracket for cracks, they tend to be a bit underbuilt.

Have a look at the mast step area. If there are major spider cracks radiating from the base it can be a sign that the mast post that carries the load to the keel has some damage at the base..

All these are somewhat par for the course on these boats, none except maybe blisters and keel trunk are a deal breaker, and even those are do-able. They are a great boat, just a few issues that recur.
adamh

Post by adamh »

I just purchased a C-26 last Sunday. Even though I am yet to sail it, I am already in love with it.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Greetings Adam ! You've got a fine boat there, from what I've read Alpha is a well loved C26..glad to see you were able to work out a deal
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bearley »

I PM'd Alex who started this thread because he too is in New England. Unfortunately, the C-26 he went to look at was in tough shape...had been on stands for 15 years and the hull was caving in at the pads. I'm not sure he'll be back.

Bob
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

bearley wrote:the hull was caving in at the pads. Bob
Well that wasn't on my list of things to check, lol..
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Adam

If it's the same sailboat that was used in a training camp in years past, it has a long history and I'm sure kept in great shape.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
adamh

Post by adamh »

hp18carr wrote:Adam

If it's the same sailboat that was used in a training camp in years past, it has a long history and I'm sure kept in great shape.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Yes, the Alpha was used in a Christian sailing camp at Lake of the Woods. It's in remarkable condition for her age and with a little TLC, we'll have her ready to go next spring.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome aboard Adam!

Yet another C26 amongst us! Very cool!
Scott
Windwalker

Live aboard?

Post by Windwalker »

I don't know about you guys, but I would need more space then a C26 to live aboard more then one week in the summer. But then, I'm 6'2".
Dave

1976 Mutineer
HJakl

C26

Post by HJakl »

adamh wrote:I just purchased a C-26 last Sunday. Even though I am yet to sail it, I am already in love with it.
Congratulations,
Great boat, looks just like my Sail Pending!
Captain Cvock
Chrysler 26
adamh

Re: C26

Post by adamh »

HJakl wrote:
adamh wrote:I just purchased a C-26 last Sunday. Even though I am yet to sail it, I am already in love with it.
Congratulations,
Great boat, looks just like my Sail Pending!
Is it possible that Sail Pending was one of the three other boats that the Alpha sailed with on Lake Of The Woods in the early years? Just curious.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"