Fun on the lake

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Windwalker

Fun on the lake

Post by Windwalker »

Dave

1976 Mutineer
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sounds like a fun day ! Running joke at Pelican YC is if you've ever sailed in a circle without changing tacks you must be on False River..
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Yuppers Dave!

I have a skull an crossbones Icon tagged as "Vortex" on my gps... Guests ask what it means if they see it... Depending on wind strength an direction the vortex moves! Cold down drafts act like "williwaws" and will pounce on you in several areas, have knocked us down several times... Another area we call the triangle. It will suck you in and test your skills also.

The winds flow through like a river,,, creating worls and eddies,,, seen them flying over in the helo at work. Need to keep your head on a swivel an watch the water, not your windex!

We should get together an I'll share some of our lessons from the school of hard knocks after sailing there for years in all kinds of weather before fall comes. The winds will be getting more steady here soon. After the holiday traffic will drop for the power boats, but sailing is just gonna be getting good again!

:D
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!

You need to set up a "go video" on you boat so we can see!
Sounds like an exciting day!

Scott
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

It's a date Billy, the Capt'n describded it as "exciting", but she was being kind. My son, who was in the main cabin at the time, had the largest eyes I had ever seen on him before, he's 29.

It was indeed interesting.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

By the way, low blow on the Windex comment. :D
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Most excellent sailing report. That vortex sounds like the wind born version of Deception Pass where the whirl pools are bigger across then the boat is long. ONLY go through there on a slack tide, or better yet go around the Island and skip the pass all together.

Nah, I'll go through the pass on the slack tide. :shock: It's on my to do sailing list. :D

Though I must say I wish you had video of the event. Much better enjoyed through a video then in person I'm quite sure.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Alan,

I understand, I use to scuba in Deception Pass, and ALWAYS at slack tide (although I know someone who claimed the spear fishing was better during flood).

I had my hands full at the time and if I had a video camera it would probably be at the bottom of the lake! :shock:
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Oh you just hit my diving fun spot of the World here.

I've been told no one is allowed to dive Deception Pass at any time any more without some legal go ahead from the state.

Now prior to that I've dove it slack, and tide going in ether direction all in the same day on the same dive. I first dove it with my parents when I was 13 years old. My Dad is the 1966 world champion diver. He and my mom were both world class freediving spear fishing champs. I grew up with it all.

I've been in the pass with a 9 foot tide shift in 6 hours. When I held on to the rocks in the flow my knuckles would pop. That was too strong a current and I will never ever do that again. However, I would bet I've been in their over 100 times in my life and loved it. I would cation everyone else to stay out. My Mom and Dad are not teaching anyone else to do this any more. I've taught 1 person to do it and it took me 5 months of diving with him till I would take him in the pass. He was hooked.

It's a wonderful thing but your dead quick in there if you are not 100% on your game by reflex.

Yup I have photo's too to prove I've been in there since the 1970's.

Best day there was back in 1999 when my Uncle and I were freediving in the pass. My Uncle surfaced about 20 feet from me. We were on the back side of Strawberry Island. He popped up and cleared his snorkel with a blast of air. Right behind him a Grey whale Popped up maybe 20 feet behind him and blew a big spot of air and water right in my line of sight. Looked like he sent up a 15 foot high pressure spot that the wale had done. My Uncle looked VERY impressive for the moment it took me to realize a whale had come over to see what we were doing. Then the Bald Eagle flew over our heads. True story.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing