Boat Safety Stuff

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Boat Safety Stuff

Post by Alanhod »

Hey I've not done this thread for a while.

Safety Stuff

1. Life vest for everyone on board. Properly sized to each person. Also if there not worn, they are not likely to work.
2. First Aid kit. Fully stocked, everyone knows where it's at.
3. Flairs. Up to date, separated from expired flairs, every one knows where they are at.
4. VHF Radio, on and scanning the bands while under way.
5. Food and water for eveyone on board, appropriate for the length of your excursion.
6. Air horn or other appropriate noise making device. Also a laminated card with the horn blowing codes used in navigation.
7. Radar reflector. I just got one, after way to long not having one. Thanks Captain Scott for keeping me on the right path top getting one of these. We Ocean going sailors really do need this. Well Great Lake Sailors or anyone who sails in the company of BIG boats who may not see us little guys romping about on the High Seas, or in my case Puget Sound.
8. Sun Screen.
10. ?
11. ?

Thanks
Alan

It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

Well put as always Alan,
I would add flashlight and batteries.
I am also looking for one of those backup suction cup battery running lights.
I might add foulies. I cannot tell you how many times someone ends up cold or wet even when the weather is perfect. An unhappy crew is a mutinous one!

Great refresher!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boat Safety Stuff

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Alanhod wrote:6. Air horn or other appropriate noise making device. Also a laminated card with the horn blowing codes used in navigation.
Where can we get one of these cards?
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
J. Austin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by J. Austin »

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=na ... 2%20$%2033

I would love to know where to get one as well.
Most training courses just tell you to memorize them.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward
jerecaustin.com
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

10. Charged Cell Phone
11. Hand Held GPS (if i need help I want to tell them where I am).
12. Hand Operated Bilge Pump and a distcharge hose to reach cockpit.
13. Two fire Extinguishers, one in cabin, one under cockpit.
14. Four times more gas/oil mix that you think you will need.

I also made a "boat book" in a one inch binder with clear pockets fron and back. In front I put a one page chart of the area I'm sailing, the back has a point of sail diagram cause I'm still a rookie. Dividers inside have copies of registration for boat and motor, page of my home owners insurance that says my boat is covered, copies of the boat's owners manual, copies of motor owners manual, a logbook type page for each sail trip with who went with me and where we went, and in plastic sheet protectors larger scale lake maps.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Boat Safety Stuff

Post by Alanhod »

Capt. Bondo wrote:
Alanhod wrote:6. Air horn or other appropriate noise making device. Also a laminated card with the horn blowing codes used in navigation.
Where can we get one of these cards?
Hmmm, Seems to me I got one of those from the Seattle Boat Show as a Free thing some vendor was handing out. Now I can't find it.

So lets do the list here and then we can copy it into a word processor...

I copied this from the BoatUS web site... http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/ ... on_20.html

One Short Blast - This means that you "intend to leave you on my port side" if you are meeting or crossing another vessel. In other words, when you pass the other boat, the left side of your boat will be next to the other boat. If you are behind another boat and about to pass it, one short blast means that you "intend to pass on your starboard side".

Two Short Blasts - This means that you "intend to leave you on my starboard side in a meeting or crossing situation." In other words, when you pass the other boat, the right side of your boat will be next to the other
boat. If you are behind another boat and about to pass it, two short blasts means that you "Intend to overtake on your port side.".

Three Short Blasts - This means that you are backing up, or using "astern propulsion".

Four Short Blasts - Signals that you intend to leave your dock. If you need to back out of your docking area, you would sound one long blast, and then three short blasts.

Five Short Blasts - This is the DANGER signal. Remember, that when you approach another vessel and hear either one or two short blasts, and you both understand their signal and can safely let them do it, then you are required to respond with the same signal in response. However, if you don't understand their intentions, or feel that their proposed maneuver is dangerous to either vessel, then you are required to sound the DANGER signal.

I know there are more sound navigation signals, but I will not tempt fate or endanger your safety by relying on my memory alone. So lets look it up. copy it down and print it, then laminate it. Cheap and quick. I like it.

Note: I looked at many web sites which all seemed to say about the same thing. In my opinion, I trust Boat US so that is the one I pasted in here.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing