Is 60 grit sandpaper to abrasive?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Is 60 grit sandpaper to abrasive?

Post by hp18carr »

I was thinking of doing a little hand sanding of the bottom to get a feel of the old paints condition and type. Along with locating the defects (old blisters and the like), being only a preliminary sanding by hand would 60 grit sandpaper be permissible or should I stay with 80 grit or above?

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

If you can't see blisters through the bottom paint I doubt that you have any problems. For the blistered bottoms I have done I use really course paper, 36 or even 24 grit on a DA sander. For really thick bottom paint 60 grit is probably OK. If you want to explore a few spots try the 80 grit. I have also had good success using a really good sharp scrapper to remove soft bottom paint. Also plan on using a lot of paper. I buy mine at the Klingspor outlet here in Hickory. Most body shop supply houses sell rolls of stick on sheets for a good price. A vacum attachement is also well worth the money.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've used that grit on a random orbit to remove bottom paint, just don't get too agressive with your pressure and dwell time. Good protective mask and suit is a must..

PS if you want to find some blisters, look at the first 3 feet behind the bow. Both my 79's have had the 'measles' right there, and both were so small they didn't show till I sanded some..but there were plenty there.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Thanks, it sounds like sanding with only hand pressure (no sander) the 60 grit should work ok, I'll keep the 80 grit as a stand by. I have a mask but will need a suit, just what little bit I sanded by hand had dust flying everywhere. No I have not lost my mind thinking I'll just sand the whole bottom by hand. :shock: A random orbit with vacuum attachment will haft to wait till Christmas.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)