Winter's Approaching :( ....and We Need Videos!

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Winter's Approaching :( ....and We Need Videos!

Post by cs3079 »

I hate it! I had the C-20 out exactly three times this summer. Stony Creek has already been dropped to winter levels and it's time to think about putting her away for the winter again. Didn't sell her (priced too high without an engine) Hopefully next year things will work out. This is still my perfect dream boat and money issues will eventually go away.

OK. enough of my sad stories. I need Chrysler sailing videos to get me through the Michigan winter again, so I'm planning ahead and making a request. If ANYONE with a Chrysler sailboat has sailing videos out there on YOUTUBE or whatever, (especially C-20's) , PLEASE tag them with the words 'Chrysler Sailing' and the model, so we can all see, thanks
Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Gee Bruce, thanks for the reality check... I guess. I've been in denial here in Denver. Got the new rudder head fabricated and installed and made a new rudder of nylon. It's in the boat but not mounted. Only out once this summer - when the rudder head broke. Also took on a third job so I only work til midnight most nights and then sleep in til 6am.

Guess it's time to think about buying a new tarp. Checked with our local ranch supply store and they sell the really big ones for covering large stacks of baled hay.

Good news - the new trailer tires are lasting real well with only 30 miles on them in two years ; )
Tranquil Chaos
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Not to sound like I'm crying over spilled milk, but you guys at least got out a time or two. I know I'm not the only one out here in Chrysler Land still knee deep in our project sailboats. I second... third and fourth the call for more videos to keep the dream alive. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

hp18carr wrote: ... but you guys at least got out a time or two. I know I'm not the only one out here in Chrysler Land still knee deep in our project sailboats.
Your humble EE skipper also did not get out this summer at all, with two C26's on the project list and the Cal21 being sold..however first of November the project boat should be heading to the coast (for both sail and sale) , and EE coming home on that trailer..decided to wait out hurricane season..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

WOW!
Sorry guys,

With all the work done on Lady Jo last year and finding storage at the boat ramp, I spent more time on her than Destiny discounting the summer trip!

I'm hoping next week after work to get some more time on her! If I do, I'll take my "GoPro" camera with me. I've never posterd on Utube but hey, there always is a first!

This year she's had days of zero wind, days of just docking, practicing and even one episode where she bounced off a pyle! Lost steering because the tiller came loose from the rudder, and even got totally covered in purple bird poo! ( seems storing under a light pole next to a black berry bush is a bad idea )

However, she's had many days where I never took the helm. Beautiful breezes, stiff winds, and some downright heavy winds! One trip the guest specifically indicated zero experience but this was a bucket list kind of thing for him. A few minutes after leaving the dock he had the helm and never let go until we were coming back to dock! Per him, He had a BLAST!

One evening I headed up to Lady Jo and on the way there my guest cancelled. Ya think I'd turn tail and head home but nope, I launched her and went sailing anyway!!!

You see, Lady Jo, my Chrysler 22, not only is my training boat but she is my refuge. Destiny is beautiful and I can single hand her but I can not get her in and out of her slip alone due to river currents. Thus I'm required to bring crew and can never really go alone.

For those pining to go sailing, only repair what it takes to make her safe and sound. All the rest is optional. Make her as easy to launch and retreive as possible. For example, I've had Lady Jo in a slip but found I flat can not afford to keep her there. I have a place to store her at home but found I have to step the mast every time I go sailing. So, I found a dry storage at half the cost of a slip at the boat launch where I can hook up and launch her with the mast already up! Retrieve her and leave mast up, just park her in storage! My useage has gone up dramatically!

In October I bring her home to save storage fees and do any maintainace!

I read talk of blisters here. Every runs screaming the other way when a boat has blisters. Before you embark on a very long and sometimes expensive process of repair, look long and hard at the blisters.

Example, I bought a 32' boat. She had 6 quarter sized blisters. I took detailed photos of the blisters and let them alone. Every year the boat was hauled, sanded, bottom painted and she was waxed. I also checked the blisters. They neither grew in size nor in count! When I sold her 5 years later I told the prospective buyer of the blisters and provided 5 years of photos of the same said blisters. So I did not fix nor did I loose value because of them.

So, guess all I'm saying is don't let the boat own you. Yes, make her safe. Yes make her sea worthy. But really, why over do it? My own and very personal opinion is I prefer to sail! First thing I did with Lady Jo II is to just see if she floats! No, she did not. Leaked badly. However the moment that was fixed I was all about get her on the water! Yes I have done a tone of work to her since but nothing that kept me from sailing! I even motored her around without sails before my sails we ready!

SO GO GET ON THE WATER!

Again a standing offer to any Chrysler Forum member, if you desparately need to get on the water, give me a shout! I'll take ya!

I know there are several in the Pacific Northwest! Come on! Most of you are only a few hours or less away!

LETS GO SAILING!

Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Great advice from Scott and love the stories from the rest...especially how those trailer tires are holding up so well...Har,Har!!!

I haven't ever had my boat in the water yet but I do hope to have her ready near the end of next summer. Tomorrow I am retiring and will have plenty of time to work on her....( what was that honey???...oh yeah...I'm telling the forum how I can't wait to start that house remodel since I will be retired)
Bill
thepartydog

Post by thepartydog »

Let me echo Capt Scott's offer. If your near the Florida panhandle, and require a sailing fix, the chrysler isn't ready, but I'd be glad to take any of ya'll out on Pen Kalet.
Darin
"Ya Never Know"
1980 C26
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Tugs on my heart strings to know you salty dogs didnt hit the water much this summer. I am sad that Andante is sitting in her cradle already. But I should feel blessed. We logged over 600 miles under sail this summer on the Bay. We learned alot, had a boat load of fun, got a killer tan, and had our asses handed to us a few times. Overall a great summer on the big old girl. The bright side is the Buc is getting more use now. We are heading out again this Saturday for a run out to long tail. NNE winds, 9knts with waves under a foot in the forcast. Should be a great day to split a bottle of wine with the girl and watch the harvest moon rise over the bay. One of these days I need to really sit down and construct a post with the latest pics.....Unfoutunatly I never did tak any video this summer.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I logged about 350 miles this summer and in 3 weeks she will be on the hard and getting covered.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/