Trailer

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
snowbordlb

Trailer

Post by snowbordlb »

We have a 22ft Chrysler and just relocated to South Carolina. I bought the boat in Oklahoma so it has a blue painted trailer I have been using in the lakes up there. How quickly do I need to worry about getting a new galvanized trailer? How much should they cost? Any good places to buy in the area? Is there a market for the old trailer or should I just sell it for scrap? Any input will be greatly appreciated. Also If anyone in the Charleston area has a Chrysler I would love to know.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome!

As far as trailers go, there is definately a market for them!
Your steal trailer can last a very long time if cared for. If you dip in salt water the life span will be shortened however by rinsing with fresh every time you dip you can greatly extend the life of the trailer! Keep the wheel bearings greased and tires fresh and you should be ok for years!

I actually have the original trailer under my 76 C22!

Galvanized is most certainly a better way to go but also cost quite a bit more.

I've avoided prices since I live in the Pacific Northwest so you might find a different price on the East Coast.

Scott
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Yup, what Captain Scott said.

And Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Chrysler Sailboat.

My vintage 1970's trailer, while slightly ugly should last a loooong time to come. It needs Paint which has been sitting in the garage for a year. So my trailer would last longer if I paint it. I sail in salt water so the trailer gets hosed down every time it hits the water.

Keep it clean, painted and in good repair and you should be good for a long time to come. I expect my boat and trailer to out last me with good care. Look at some of the old posts here on the forum. Some of these folks have done some amazing like new trailer restorations from stuff that looked quite bad to start with.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

Wow, small world. I'm originaly from Oklahoma and have lived in SC the last 11 years. Spent about 15 years in Charleston and loved it. Where in SC are you and where are you sailing at?

I'm in Aiken, SC and Lake Thurmond is where I spend most of my time. I planned a trip with the boat to Charleston Harbor but it hasn't happened this year, yet.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
Holiday

Post by Holiday »

Most gavanized trailers still have painted axles and other parts. Washing down the trailer after use in salt water is the best thing you can do along with keeping up the paint. I have used ramps that had fresh water availble for wash downs. The nearest car wash will work. My father inlaw used to always take his to a fresh water ramp and dip it after being in salt water. Trailers built from C channels will hold up better than tubular frames over time.

I have seen folks use the old method farmers used to use to keep plows and implements from rusting. Just spray them down with kerosene and old engine oil mixed.

New gavalized trailers are expensive. Used sailboat trailers are always in high demand.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I've built more trailer axles than I can remember. One thing I always do is seal weld the spindles in. Then I drill and tap for 1/4 NPT on the top of the axle. I then pressure test my welds with air. After they pass the pressure test, I fill the axle with waste oil. Those axles will never rust from the inside out.

I recently got a free 20 -22ft galv trailer from a neighbor. the axle was galv. but one side rotted off at the spindle. Also, the 2 crossmembers were rotted through. This all happened due to neglect.

As mentioned above, galvanized or not, if it goes in salt water, wash it off, and don't be stingy with the water.

Clair