C22 Spreader Configuration

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
edjeep

C22 Spreader Configuration

Post by edjeep »

I've got some questions about the spreader configuration on a C22.

Here's what's up there now:
A length ( i really should have measured) of solid round aluminum about 1" in diamter (OK, OK, I'll measure everythign this weekend) for each spreader. Both spreaders appear to be tapped and through mounted with one peice of threadstock, thourgh the mast. Not really sure if there is a compression spacer in there or not. On the outboard end of each spreader a groove has been cut with a screw and plate holding each shroud. My biggest concerns are: a) the spreaders are bound on the thread stock and and cannot be turned to adjust b) the grooves in the spreaders are not aligned so that both shrouds can run exactly vertical through the spreaders.

When I rigged and raised this last weekend, that bothered me a little, and is really under my skin now. I would like to get that few degrees of mis-alignment out of there, because I am smart enough to know it has an effect on strength. Unfortunately I am not smart enough to figure out how much.

Unless someone can tell me what the config is supposed to be, I am find the best match of the mast profile from either DR Marine, Rig Rite or Dwyer Mast and replace the current setup with a bracket and extrusion.

Sometimes, it really would be nice to just be able to order a simple part, and not spend all this time trying to figure out what is available today to match what was done yesterday. Sometimes, it is fun.
phroxis

Spreaders

Post by phroxis »

My C22 has spreader brackets (one set aluminum, one set stainless) that are bolted/screwed to the mast. Two sets of spreaders and brackets came with the boat. Both sets of spreaders (one set aluminum, one set wood) have vertical slots for the shroud to pass through and a perpendicular hole to receive a cotter pin. Spreader boots and copious amounts of rigging tape keep everything smooth for the sails.
edjeep

Post by edjeep »

Your C22 has 2 sets of spreaders? What year is your boat and is it the "tall" setup? My boat came with one set only, and the current spar does not have empty mounting holes, so I wonder.
phroxis

spreaders

Post by phroxis »

My boat is a 1979. I believe one set of spreaders is aftermarket; they are wood. I don't know about "tall"; it looks like other C22s that I've seen in pictures. There is another C22 on Lake Clarke where I sail and it has the aluminum tube spreaders as well.