C-22 bilge pump

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
dubbinchris

C-22 bilge pump

Post by dubbinchris »

I know this should prob be in the elecrical section but there doesn't seem to be much traffic there.

I'm fairly new to C22 ownership and the one I got last month needs some things. One thing is a bilge pump. There are remnanats of an old pump siliconed to the inside of the hull in the area below the cockpit. It's just the base and what's left of an old float switch. I gentle tug and it all came up. I'm not sure what area to call that of the boat, but I'm not sure I would technically call that the bilge. It was located as far forward as it would go against that psudo bulkhead.

Questions....

Is that where the pump is on most C22's? How is it normally secured? How is it plumbed and where does it exit the hull?

There is a 3/4" hole going from that area into the fuel locker very close to the rudder tube. I was thinking of trying to get some kind of 3/4" bulkhead hose connector, but the hole is so close to the rudder tube that I'm not sure I can.

You can see it here...

And a closer photo of it....

mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

The area under the cockpit is known as the coffin. Climb under there and see if you don't agree that it is aptly named!

Others have commented on bilge locations, but the coffin is quite a ways upground of the boats lowpoint, near the keels hingepin.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Careyr

bilge pump

Post by Careyr »

I agree. Although my TMI 22 is the spawn of the C22, the hulls are the same. Bought my boat with the same bilge pump setup you describe. After thinking about it some, it dawned on me that there would be a lot of water in the boat already before the pump would ever kick in. I've read what others have had to say and am installing my new one close to the keel pin (lowest point in the boat - or not far aft of that. The old one pumped into the cockpit and I plan on using that same setup, just with the hose routed into the pump in the cabin.
Carey
1981 TMI 22: "Ms.Chief"
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Yep! Others may disagree, but pumping into a self bailing cockpit makes should be fine.

So Carey, are you a Dubuque Fighting Saints fan? Whale of a team this year (That's my nautical reference )
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Well I haven't climbed down in there yet, but I can sure tell that it's a bit confining. Fortunately I only weigh in at about 145 lbs.

I did think that it seemed like an odd place for a bilge pump. I will likely go with the mentioned location just behind the keel pivot point. How would one mount it in that location? Create some sort of bracket? Most bilge pumps have a screen that is designed to screw into whatever horizontal surface that you want you pump on, and then you snap your pump into that.

This is the one I have...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50634

I have to brain storm where exactly to pump mine, be it into the cockpit or somehow directly into the "fuel locker". I'd only pump it into the fuel locker to either make it more aesthetic or to use that 3/4 in hole that already exists from the coffin into the locker. Also something to note on my boat. Just foreward of the port drain hole in the cockpit there is a similar sized hole in the floor of the cockpit. The previous owner has used to alum plated and a small square of rubber to block it off. It can barely be seen in the last photo I posted. I wonder if this was perhaps the exit point from the prior bilge pump? The hole seems excessively large though. I can't imagine for the life of me why someone put such a huge hole in the floor of the cockpit. Left open it would dump every drop of water into the coffin.
Gus

Post by Gus »

One thing I learned, the gas locker gets VERY wet, and I had the bilge pump exit at the very end, and water will siphon back inside the boat from the gas locker. I glassed the whole, threw the whole electric bilge pump overboard, and I went with a manual gusher bilge pump. I had it mounted in a piece of plywood, and the hoses are long enough to reach anywhere in the boat.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

dubbinchris...that hole and aluminum plate look like they are located over the recess in the gas locker...at least that is how it appears to me in the photo...double check it...it may not be as bad as you suspect.
Bill
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

astrorad wrote:dubbinchris...that hole and aluminum plate look like they are located over the recess in the gas locker...at least that is how it appears to me in the photo...double check it...it may not be as bad as you suspect.
It IS as bad as I suspect....here is a photo from the previous owner before he put a plate over it.

dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Gus wrote:One thing I learned, the gas locker gets VERY wet, and I had the bilge pump exit at the very end, and water will siphon back inside the boat from the gas locker. I glassed the whole, threw the whole electric bilge pump overboard, and I went with a manual gusher bilge pump. I had it mounted in a piece of plywood, and the hoses are long enough to reach anywhere in the boat.
Sounds like some scuppers and a dedicated thru-hull discharge for the bilge pump are in my future.
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Caveat: I am not a mind reader. Having said that, it is possible the PO was planning on using the hole under discussion to run throttle / shift cables for the outboard. Just thinking out loud, but my 22 has a hole in the stern about that same position off the lubbers line.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos