Mast Stepping Tip

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mast Stepping Tip

Post by EmergencyExit »

Stepped the mast at Pass Harbor today, and can add another thing to watch out for.

Had the mast all the way up, but needed a bit more to get the forestay to the tang hole..but when I pulled hard on the sheet the boom/pin pulled free from the mast. Luckily the redhead had a firm grip on the forestay or the mast might well have gone crashing down.

There's a point at which you are no longer pulling 'down' on the boom with the tackle. You are pulling more 'forward' on the boom because the end of it is a bit behind the forestay attach point.

By the way, the reason we couldn't get the forestay to the attach point was because I had the rear baby shroud too tight. Once that was loosened the mast moved forward enough to easily attach the forestay. Should have checked that instead of trying to really crank the last few inches from the tackle !!

Oh well, all worked out !
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I had a similar experience - couldn't get that last uumph to make the stay come to the hole. Turns out the mast's electrical connection had slipped between the mast and the step. I was able to put enough pressure on the stay that it flattended the connector... which now needs to be replaced. Lesson - if it ain't fittin' quite right, and unusual pressure is needed, stop and check to make sure everything is where it should be.

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

You are indeed a lucky man, to have a good wife to help you get it up. My mast came crashing down this fall. I was using those ratchet straps, and had everything way over tightened. I pushed on the mast like I usually do to get the mast to fall back toward transom. But it wouldn't budge, my neighbor suggested that I go back and pull down on the top left line. The bad idea, I pulled until the chain broke and the mast came crashing down. It even pulled that that plate off at the bottom of the mast and bent the pen. Very happy that I didn't use a heavier chain, with a 30 foot prybar I probably could tour the top rate off the cabin. When the going gets extra hard something is wrong stop what you're doing and check everything over.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Been there too. Also when lowering. And my mast step/hook landed about 8 feet from the water too !! Lucky it didn't bounce.

Planning on a hinge for EE later.
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Look out for having those ratchet/cargo straps to tight.
I was helping Bryan step his mast last month and we had the straps too tight and we where only able to lower the mast about 1/3 of the way when it stoped. Raised it back up and loosened the straps a little and she came down just fine.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Oh Ya now that's what i'am talking about
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

I solved the problem of having the ratcheting straps getting too tight by putting a 3' line through the eye of the bridle and tying a boline in each end. The ratchets go into the bolines. This allows the ratchets to the boom and mast to slide and keep equal tension. Works great!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Thank You Paul, now that's a good idea an will be great help to me.