WHO ARE YOU? What does your signature name mean?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

WHO ARE YOU? What does your signature name mean?

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey Everyone! Lurkers included! LOL!
We've had a lot of new names lately popping up some rather interesting or entertaining! So I thought it is time again to tell us a little about yourself!

Who are you? Sailing experience? What does your avatar and forum name mean? How'd ya find your boat . . .?

I'll start just to get things rolling . . . . .
My signature name is CaptainScott. Why? I do have my certificate including Masters and several endorcements. My name is Scott thus the forum name! I live in Everett Wa and really love the Chrysler line of sailboats. I teach sailing as a part time side job but am a software engineer for AT&T Labs. Reviving old sailboats like these Chryslers is a hobby of mine. I've been sailing all my life in one form or another.

Other hobbies include old Chevy's, motorcycles, and classical guitar. Many other hobbies have come and gone.

Ok, for the newbies and the seasoned forum members, lets have it! Tell us a little about you! Give us a chance to get to know you and gives us something interesting to read too!

Bring it on!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Hi All...my name is Bill and I am a sailing newbie...first time on a sailboat was as crew (1 of 3) on a 30 footer when I was 17. Only did it once and got real seasick, but always wanted to learn and get my own boat from then on.

My forum name is astrorad which is derived from my hobbies of astronomy and amateur radio...advanced class license WB9NYI since 1974. I also have been a lifelong amateur musician playing trumpet,guitar and some keyboards...I also do some Bullseye pistol shooting and reloading.

My Chrysler C22 is a 1975 model and I am in the process of making her seaworthy...my intention is to finish her up this coming summer and sail her on Lake Michigan. I try to take video of my work on the boat and post them on Youtube. Capt Scott has been good enough to link them on the welcome page.
Bill
Smier

Post by Smier »

Smier originated from my early days of online gaming, before I had children... The "S" stands for my first name Scott, and the "mier" is just the first 4 letters of my last name... Kind of boring, but most cool names were usually already taken, and I wanted something my real life friends could recognize in a game channel lobby.

I am fairly new to sailing, but I dreamed (for 21 years) of someday owning a sailboat after a friends family took me when
I was 17 on a day sail to Lake Nockamixon in eastern, Pa. In true addict fashion, I now have two sailboat projects going at once...
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Hi Alanhod here,

This was my first email name given to me by my employer back in the late 1980's. I was at a small software company in Redmond WA called Microsoft. I left in 1999.

I did not start sailing till 2007. I was hooked on my very first sailing lesson. I've always been around the Water, Pacific Ocean mostly. Started Diving in the 1960's.

My very own first sailboat is my current sailboat a Chrysler C-22. It's good to start with the best.

I was shopping Craigs list for about a year looking for a boat in the 22 foot range. I was focused on finding a San Juan sailboat but I was not willing to pay the price for the one's in really nice condition. So I searched for Sailboat 21 foot, 22 foot, 23 foot, etc. One day I found this gorgeous 22 foot Chrysler at a really good price. I mean this boat was REALLY PRETTY inside and out. I waited a month and never called. The boat posted again at a lower price. I called and set up an appointment to go see it. I went and it was a Chrysler C-22 which was not posted on the listing. Just 22 foot sailboat. Never heard of it so I did not buy it. I went home and looked it up on the internet. I found this site.

I called the owner back the next day, went to the bank for the cash and bought it as fast as I could. I did not haggle, I plopped the money down. It was Mine all Mine.

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

HP18Carr

The Carr part is a no brainer last name, but the HP18 needs a bit of explaining. It's the name of a glider or sailplane... back in the day I was into soaring but my W&B kept me out of the sky more than in it. I chose sailing as a way to get back into a game where I could play with the wind and my W&B would not play such a critical role. Dancing with the thermals at 2000 + feet is great fun, but a W&B off just a few pounds can kill you quick. At my age it seems prudent to play a more forgiving game. :idea:

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Dave

1976 Mutineer
adamh

Post by adamh »

Hey everybody,

My name is Adam and I am a lurker. I purchased the Alpha in September and have not had a chance to sail it yet. We are land locked in MN but fortunately have a trailer that is in great shape to take us wherever we want to go. The goal for 2013 is to trailer the Alpha up to Bayfield, WI and sail the Apostle Islands. The picture on my avatar was taken by the former owner. My previous boat was an Aquarius 23 that was a lot of fun to sail on the inland lakes but my wife was reluctant to take it up to Lake Superior. Hence the C-26 :D
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
Paul
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Paul »

Also a sailplane pilot (great to know about you, Terrance), the wind and air fascinate me. My first inclination was to name my 22 "Vertical Wing" but with my lifestyle Tranquil Chaos seemed more appropriate.

I was casually browsing Craigslist when my boat appeared in the listing. I was instantly taken by this abondoned hulk and have been 3 years attempting to get her in the water. Have made it float once each of the last two summers. Next year I'm planning on really using it!

Paul
Tranquil Chaos
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Emergency Exit was of course the boat's name and that seemed the easiest name to use...if that's lazy, well then I have good company with Windward :wink:
Ty
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ty »

Greetings. Ty is short for my last name Tye. I live in Red Oak Iowa a long ways from any large body of water. I am the Maintenance Manager for a Pella Windows Plant. I do most of my sailing on a lake in Nebraska. Have been sailing my C-22 Dreamer for three years before that I was only a rider. I had an old bass boat that I bought for $700 I fixed it up a little and told my wife I was trading for a sailboat. She said nothing which is good. We take long weekends and go to a camp ground near the marina. I enjoy working on Dreamer but there is nothing better than sailing on a Friday afternoon when no one else is around. I enjoy reading of all your adventures and believe this site is truely the Chrysler Sailing Brain Trust.
C-22 Dreamer
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

Anhinga is my boat's name. The name is after the bird which is one of the oldest birds on the planet. Birders will say Anhinga trace roots back to prehistoric ages since, unlike ducks, thier feathers get wet and they have to wait to dry off and fly again. Another name for an Anhinga is "Water Turkey" which depending on my mood and on what needs to be fixed also seems to fit on some days. :) In real life I work on computers and answer to the name of Jim. Other distractions include iceboats (DN60) early touring motorcycles like my '82 Goldwing and boatbuilding.

Later!

-JK
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

My screen name is first initial and last name and threw in the 68. I was an auto tech for 35 years and now back in the auto industry with a parts store. I have been sailing for most of 47 years (16 years I did not have a boat. boats I have owned are Penguin, Thistle, Newport Holiday and the best is the C-26. I help a local marina with stepping and dismasting transient boats and help people learn about sailing I am also involved with a restoration of a 110 yr old racing sloop that was a local boat longer than I have been alive and when she is done being rebuilt we will teaching people about sailing. Oh and the name of my boat is self explanatory My Getaway.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

Hi I'm Tom. My screen name is first initial and last name. When I first signed up here, I didn't have a Chrysler boat yet. I was looking for, and found, a 1979 Chrysler 26. I was previously a beach cat sailor, having owned a MacGregor 16 and then a Hobie 18.

With the price of gas, I haven't been able to trailer her to places as I'd planned, but still keep Copacetic on Lake Michigan all summer. Sailing out of Racine, WI with my first mate Kristi is a great way to spend weekends and vacation time.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Gus

Post by Gus »

Well... let's see...

Gus is short for Gustavo. I'm from Argentina, but I lived in the US since 1997.

I started thinking about sailing during my first deployment to Afghanistan. My first boat was a Mac-23 that I bought unseen (big mistake) in 2004, but I learned how to fix boats. Epoxy, fiber work, etc.

While I was stationed in Maryland in 2006, I bought my Chrysler 22. She looked fine in the surface, but after I got her home, she needed a lot of work. Solid boat, always brought me home. There was no name on the boat, but one day while I was waxing the transom, I saw the remains of a name: Halve Maen (Half Moon in Dutch http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halve_Maen), and since I am very superstitious, I didn't rename her (and I suck naming things).

I sold the Mac-23, and since then, I've been messing around with my C-22. In 2009 I got sick, and I didn't really do anything with her until recently.

That's it.
1976 Chrysler 22 Halve Maen - Sail # 595
cs3079
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by cs3079 »

Bruce
Chry Wndw Shopping/'69 Newport H-20
Poupon Me!
Ray Twp., MI
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/65343255@N06/
Vids: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL60647F9C03EAE28A

I want a boat that drinks 6, eats 4, and sleeps 2.
- Earnest K. Gann
Dallasbob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dallasbob »

Bob T . . .
1979 Chrysler 26 "Indecision"
Dallas, Texas / I-45 / Galveston Bay
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Howdy,

My name is Ryan. "Padiunka" as an avatar I have had since the internet first dawned for me back in the mid 90's. Padiunka was the name of my first Chinchilla (small furry squirrel looking thing). I named him Padi, as I picked him up on my way home from getting my dive certificate at age 15. It eventually enlongated to Padiunka.
I started sailing in my early 20's on my friends parents Hunter 30 out of Fish Creek Wisconsin. For those of you not famillar with Wisconsin, this is on the bay side of Door county. So its essentally Lake Michigan. Make no doubt about it, its some big water that can whip up into somthing nasty with out much warning. We had great times on that boat but work led me out of state a couple of years later and they sold the boat due to old age. I eventually came back to the state to settle down. Well as they say life happens and for better or worse I ended up getting divorced about 5 years ago. In the soul searching that followed I remembered the good feeling I always had under sail and decided not to deny myself those things that I really love. I decided I was going to go for broke and do the great loop with intentions on settling down again in a warmer climate and pick up diving again. But I had alot of learning to do before I could hope to do it safely. I picked up my first boat off of Craigslist. She is a 1960's vintage Chrysler Buccaneer. I named the previously unnamed boat "Bijou". Greatly loved by her previous owner she served me and the crew very well the past 4 years. I learned alot on that boat and although I never flipped her, she deffinatly got me out of my comfortable range on more than several occasions. I knew roughly how to sail before she came to me, but a little boat like that has alot to tell you about the wind and I always tried to listen and learn. About a year ago I again started pouring through the boats online. After looking through a mountain of junk boats on craigslist I was contacted by a broker that was refered to my by a buddy. Low and behold what did he have to offer but a very beautiful Chrysler 27, "Andante". Although bigger than I was looking for and more than I thought I could afford (or handle for that matter at the time) I just could not seem to talk myself out of her. Mainly because every other boat I looked at was always compared to her in my mind. So I decided to tighten my belt and take a chance. It was time to go big or go home as the Bijou could take me no further offshore than she already had and she had lousy overnight accomodations. The old couple selling the 27 were selling her because of failing health. They must have seen the passion in my eyes, or maybe just the way I looked at her becaues they were very generous in giving me everything they had for the boat right down to the bug spray. This past year saw me and the crew basicly living on her on the weekends and learning, sailing over 600 miles in all sorts of conditions. It pains me to see her on the hard over the winter. I am counting the months untill ice out when she can get wet again.
...and what of the plans for the loop? If I dont set sail south late next season it will surely be the following spring pending the sale of my house. I got lasik a couple of weeks back so I am free to dive with good vision. Cant wait to get back down to the tropics and do some clamming and spearfishing. At age 35 I have alot of living to do. And living is just what I plan to do.

Fair winds my Friends ~ Padiunka
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
mga1951

Post by mga1951 »

Thought I would chime in on this.
MGA is from one of my sports cars.. 1959 MGA.. 51 was my age at that time. just sold it about a year or so ago. Current sports car is a restored 73 MGBGT. We live in central ohio and have a place in NC on Albermarle Sound ( west of the Outer Banks). I am in Real Estate and manage a Coldwell Banker office. We dock during the summers on Buckeye lake and tow our C-22 to NC when we can.
We got "Fore Sail" for free in spring of 2007 in NJ. Lady had to get rid of it. My brother has a junk company. She paid him to take it away. Everything was there including the trailer. Went to Jersey and towed her home.. Like anything.. there is no such word as FREE!!! :)

I play drums over 48 years and still play in Rock n Roll bands, Played the grand opening of Disney World.. opened for BB King.. and a few others.. hobbies are pets, music, golf, sailing and my sports cars.
Happily married. We have been together since 1974.. she says I am most relaxed when we are sailing. My agents know I dont answer the phone when I am out on the Chrysler. lol
Have lived extensively in Florida, Colorado, Wyoming and Ohio. Learned to sail on a KOOL sailboat..remember those?? lol
Jeffrey
Fore Sail
1976 C-22
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

I grew up in Gibraltar MI which is on Lake Erie and learned to sail there. We have lived on both coasts and also in Wisconsin. Got back into sailing a few years ago and we now live in a little town called Trenton Ohio. I keep my C-22 Sail-la-vie at the local state park Heuston Woods. The lake is not very big but they have nice docks and besides all the sailboats are owned by guys my age and the lake has a 9.9 hp restriction so it is nice to sail on.
My wife Tammy and I have been grandparents since September first of this year and I told her I need a project boat for our granddaughter so she can have her own boat. OK lame excuse for the kid but I am looking for a small (less than 15ft) project. My grandfather had a Lightning and part of me would like to find one and restore that but they are a little larger than I would like. Oh well it is fun to go on Craigs list and see what is out there.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Hey all, these are very awesome!

I can not speak for you but when I read these it gives me a better feeling for each of my friends I've found here on the forum! Sometimes I see other hobbys that are the same as mine and sometimes I'm surprised by hobbies!

I try to do this once a year ors so and it seems I learn something knew everytime!

Thanks for sharing and keep them coming!

Scott
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe