towing a chrylser 26

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Kevin Dreher

towing a chrylser 26

Post by Kevin Dreher »

i am looking into getting a 26 ft chrysler, i was wondering what size truck are people using to tow these beast. if i purchase a 26 in the future i will be using it mainly as a trailer sailer and will be towing it to use the boat. i was wondering what people use and how far they tow the boat with there trucks. thank you
kevin
get n lost
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

I used a 2005 Tundra to tow. my C 26 2500 miles in 2007. I would recommend Toyota to everyone. The newer Tacomas are now the size of my older tundra with the same towing capacity.

The truck tows very smoothly and a lot of the computer controlled features became apparent ONLY when towing. I particularly like the automatic transmission downshift feature when I step on brake. The truck will downshift automatically.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Just curious, did your tranny actually downshift or did the torque converter just unlock?

I did not know the Toyotas could tow such a load!
My house might spontaneasly combust if I had a Toyota! 2 Chevy's in the garage, 3 fords in the driveway, and a pair of Chrysler 22's!
LOL!

Scott
adamh

Post by adamh »

I tow mine with a Chevy K2500 HD 8.1L. Any 3/4 ton will do a sufficient job. A 1/2 ton will get the job done but it will struggle. The most important thing to consider is the ability to stop this beast. There will always be somebody that brags that they can pull one with their S-10 or Ranger. Just my $.02
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

Cap'n. The truck actually downshifts when the break lights go on (if the RPM is not too high). I was surprised the first time it happened and called Toyota. Its a feature of the towing package for the truck. Very neat and very safe. Saves a lot on the breaks when towing over the Rockies!
Dave

1976 Mutineer
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

What "adamh" said, but I would add a 4 x 4 with the low gear, a big help at the ramp. My Chavy 4 x 4 is a 150 "1996". Good working trailer breaks a big help in stoping.
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

i was thinking of a f150 but i will have to do a little research. thanks for all the info.
kevin
get n lost
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Windwalker wrote:Cap'n. The truck actually downshifts when the break lights go on (if the RPM is not too high). I was surprised the first time it happened and called Toyota. Its a feature of the towing package for the truck. Very neat and very safe. Saves a lot on the breaks when towing over the Rockies!
That is really cool!
I'd love to see how that works and feels when driving with a loa!

Scott
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Kevin Dreher wrote:i was thinking of a f150 but i will have to do a little research. thanks for all the info.
kevin
Careful with the F150. While mine pulls my C22's just fine I would venture to guess it would struggle with the C26. Around here there are a lot of hills and such. I have the 4.2ltr v6 with towing package which equates to extra fuse box and wiring for trailer and lights, shorter gears, and tranny cooler. I can go up over the mountain passes however I'm not one to run my rig floored so I end up doing 45 miles an hour! Yikes! Also the 4.2 ltr v6 has been known to blow head gaskets when under heavy load. So I tend to baby mine!

Not saying the F150 is bad, It is great and I love it but I stay well within its rated towing capacity and have had zero issues!

Scott
Kevin Dreher

Post by Kevin Dreher »

i was thinking of the f150 with the 5.4 liter v8 in it...but i am still looking and it will be a while before it happens.
get n lost
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

When towing with your automatic transmission, don't use overdrive. When towing just use the third gear.
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I tow mine with a heavier than normal trailer behind a 1998 Ford E-150 conversion van. 5.4L and towing package. It does a fine job, but I'm glad for the 5.4, apart from the fuel stops.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

This year I have a 96 e-150 conversion van w/ the 5.0L and it does well and stops better than the Dakota that little truck had a tow rating of 7000 lb and would pull anything as long as the trailer brakes were working but in case of a malfunction I like the vehicle to be able to stop the load as well. Especially when going into the water backwards!!!
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

some older discussion here...

viewforum.php?f=14
C-26
Hunter 29.5
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

I finally found the truck I've been looking for. Its an 05 Dodge 2500 HO Cummins, 325 hp 4X4 with 3:73 gears, quad cab long bed with a cap. The rear is a posi which means most trips up the ramp I don't need 4 wheel drive. It has a 12K tow rating which will pull anything I'll ever want to pull. Low end torque is amazing. So far, I've only pulled the 26 up our ramp to clean the bottom then put it back in. I have towed our 3500# Hydrasport with it along with other boats and trailers. The quad cab is really comfortable driving 9 hours to N C. and I can pack the bed with lotsa stuff.

I still have the '89 and use it for my daily driver. We save the 05 for trips.
Clair
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

If you go 2 wheel drive, make sure it's limited slip differantial. Helps in wet sand covered ramps.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

I use a 97 Dodge Ram 1500 with a 360 / auto trans and limited slip rear end. It's been working well for ten years now! 4x4 would be nice at times when the ramp is slippery but patience always pays and I haven't been stuck yet.

Luck!

-JK