Freeride - more pics! Interior and stuff

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
timlabute

Freeride - more pics! Interior and stuff

Post by timlabute »

Hey all, Tim here. Some more pics for ya! Please feel free to comment. This is my first sail boat so every opinion helpful.

bjaeger

Freeride

Post by bjaeger »

Hi Tim,
Freeride looks beautiful. She looks solid and tight, just needs some cleaning and stowing.
This opinion comes from a total novice, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bruce
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Thanks! I know she is filthy. She is on her cradle in the crowded boat yard waiting for spring :( Clean up won't be until April when the tarp comes off. Too cold
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Very nice boat, thank you for all the beautiful photos. This has really been my first look at the inside of a C 22. In photo 6 there is a picture of the spreader base, which is more on the order of what I have on my C 20 and C 26 thank you for posting.
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

http://chryslersailing.com/ This is a good place to find info, just in case you missed it.
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Welcome aboard
It just amazes me the number of new owners joining this forum. Good find on your boat. I see she came complete with a manual. Looks like it should be an easy clean up.

One thing i noticed in your pics was the plastic? "seacock". Before launching you want to replace that with a proper bronze valve. If you have no plans to use the sink you can just remove the valve and plug the thruhull with a properly sealed bronze plug.

The 22 captains can give you pointers on checking the keel brackets.

Again, congrats on the find. Looking forward to seeing it on the water.
Clair
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

Nice looking boat!

dfghjklxcvfcgldycfvbcgvhkk... Sorry, had to wipe a little druel off the keyboard. :lol:

Time for a weekend of nautical elbow grease and you will have a sweet little boat there. Oh, honest you have a sweet little boat already, oh you know what I mean.

I see you have the same finest 1976 cutting edge cabin light technology my boat came with. Yea, that's got to go my friend. New nice LED cabin light is called for here.

As I recall in another post you said no West Marine store near you. How about a Camping World store. They have the same stuff but cheaper in the stores where you buy stuff for your camper. After all what are our boats but sporty water going campers. They have lots of cool stuff for the inside.

REAL OEM DOCUMENTATION! SCORE!!!

Please Scan all of it ASAP, full color Hi-Res and send a copy to Captain Scott. Yup we probably already have most of it but it seems like every time someone new shows up with OEM Docs some new tidbit of information comes with it. Captain Scott loads it up on this WEB site so we can all benefit from the data. I have a printout of all unique data in a binder on a shelf at home. It's getting quite large thanks to everyone here and there diligence.

A hint for your re-fit. This is what I did and I always tell it to others.

Make a list in Excel or some other log of what you have spent and on what for your boat.

In the same Excel spread sheet make a list of what you want to fix, replace, upgrade, etc. Then put another column next to you new wish list and prioritize what needs to be done... A, B, C, D. All the "A's" are the most important, safety stuff, make it legal stuff. All the "B's" are the I need it stuff. All the "C's" are the I want it stuff. And all the "D's" are the I would really like that some day stuff but can live without it for now.

Once all the "A's" are gone then the "B's" become the "A's" until one day the "D's move to the top of the list.

As I complete each item I cut it from the wish side of the list and paste it into the paid or done list side. This list lets me know how much time and money I spent on everything on the boat. It's very accurate and has been far more helpful then I expected.

Oh and I also keep a folder of Photo's of every major project I've done. More then a few time's I've been able to post photo's of how I did some repair or upgrade right here on the forum. Then someone else see's those photo's and comes up with a better idea or method, which helps even more for me and the next person.

These folks right here have saved me a lot of time, money, frustration, and even more my safety.

The Chrysler Brain Trust, A.K.A. "Chrysler Sailors" is not a "Blog." It is disguised as a blog. It's really more of community of really nice people who genuinely are interested in what you doing, from all over the world.

You will find them on your door step when you are in need of help on your boat. No, not your virtual door step, your actual door step, ready and willing to help with a boating issue. Okay they will show up on your virtual door step too, with help, advise and photo's of an exceptionally high caliber, and just what you need, when you need it.

I've tossed out some really obscure issue I needed help with. They always come through with the answer, 100% of the time. The answer might be "No that won't work." But that answer will save your wallet and maybe even you life on the safety side of things.

So get out there Tim. We are all sitting here waiting to see and hear the step by step refit of your boat, cause your in the family now shipmate. :wink:

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Tim

Your C22 looks good overall, check out your keel pin a lot of C22s need a little work in that area. It could be nothing but you may want to strip the paint off the mast step to check things out. Believe it or not... but the fun is just beginning. 8)

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
FranS

Post by FranS »

Nice boat....looks like the PO snapped the mast hook ... Not that I know anything about that :oops: Consider adding a hinged mast plate to your list.
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Chrysler20%26, thanks!

clair hofmann, Good call on the seacock. I am not planning to use it at all, so I believe I will get a plug.

Alanhod, LOL thanks buddy :) Actually I have already purchased lots and lots of LED lighting including two 16 foot rolls of LED strip that has a few hundred LED's each. Also LED mast light with Windex, LED stern/all around, and LED red/greens. Big plans for the electronic stuff but thats whole new thread :)

I will scan the docs soon and send them. I have started a spreadsheet as you have suggested - great idea! I look forward to everything coming together, but fear the $$$ column lol.

Terrence, thanks. I started a thread with keel pin pics.

FranS, do it looked like it was welded? I didn't see anything that alarmed me but... I have no idea what to look for. Do you think it was snapped?

Thanks all!
FranS

Post by FranS »

Tim,

It looks welded to me, there's a line across the front side of the hook. the hook fits into a slot on the base of the mast. Once the mast is upright and settled onto the step the hook is not structural. However in raising the mast if the mast swings left or it can cause the hook to snap, it can happen twice if you're my husband who didnt listen to me. :-). If you do a search for "hinged mast step" you will find a number of posts on the topic. If memory serves me Captain Scott may have posted some pictures when he replaced his hook with a hinged plate on one of his C-22's. We replaced ours, but wound up selling her shortly after and never actually tried it out. It's an inexpensive improvement which will make single handed raising much less stressful.
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Ah gotcha! Thanks FranS. =)

As this boat did not come with a trailer, and "trailerable" is not on my list of interests, I paid the marina to pull it and put it back in. I am also paying for a slip. That said, the mast "should" only ever go up once and down once each year.

For that reason, I am going to heavily scrutinize the mast step hook, but if I find it reasonably solid, I am just going to ignore it. If it is not structural once the mast is up I cannot imagine it giving me issues.

I really appreciate your input and am glad you pointed it out. If it is at all questionable I will swap it right away. I am going to attempt to dig up the thread you mentioned to see how to do it. :)

Tim
FranS

Post by FranS »

Instead of "structural" I proabaly should say non load bearing when the mast is upright. I imagine the yard would use a crane to step the mast, but if they don't and step it with lines and pulleys there is the risk it could snap off again if they allow the mast to swing.
Lucky you, not having to enjoy the "experience" of raising the mast... it's really not that bad, just takes some planning and proper set up... thanks the the amazingly detailed instructions posted by Captain Scott, the ultimate "how to" is at your finger tips.