Chrysler Sail Boats - why so cheap?

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
timlabute

Chrysler Sail Boats - why so cheap?

Post by timlabute »

Hey all! Tim here.

Have done a lot of research on sailboats, and being a small business owner, I cannot help but to question the cost of Chrysler's as compared to similar boats.

Chrysler's always seem to be priced at 60 to 80% of what the others guys cost for relatively the same boat. While the build quality and PHRF numbers are seem comparable... the prices don't.

What are your thoughts on the reason for this?

My thought is that it has something to do with the name. For whatever reason, be it the "K Car" or what have you, Chrysler got a bad name in the 80's. People assume that bad name can be carried over in to their boat production... We all know better because these boats on often one of the best in class, but could this be it?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I think that may be part of it myself.

I get a lot of "Chrysler made sailboats? Chrysler ? Like the car ?"

Also I find that the Chryslers came somewhat stripped down and basic, as in all the fact that they sometimes didn't even come with switches, just the fuse panel. And a lot you see for sale today are still in that basic state. Like you mention, the K car of the sailing world, lol..

Now you'll find some (namedrop, Hi Jeff) Windward's out there that are well maintained, and loaded with upgrades. And you got a lot of the basic boats still out there too..sails and tiller..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

LOL!
K-Car!

My brother used to own a blown KCar yeah I know you think bad headgaskets! Nope, this was an all out 1/4 race car! Blower, Slicks, race car paint, roll bar, none factory interior or guages, etc etc. Yeah, a K-CAR!
nothing sillier looking than slicks on the FRONT of a car!

However I agree with the name on the sailboat being Chrysler. I too always get that silly quizzical look. However I have very little problem selling them when I want to. As soon as you point out the benifits of these Chryslers folks in the know about sailboats tend to see the goodness!

Scott
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Here is my two cents worth. Most of the people looking for a sailboat want something ready to go with most of the bells/whistles of today's sailing already in place. 30+ year old Chryslers most often don't fit that bill. The one I'm restoring came with little to nothing on the way to the glue factory. At times I feel thats where it should have gone. :evil: 90% of prospective buyers don't have the time or gumption for a complete rework. I feel the lower prices for Chrysler sailboats are more of an enticement factor. Again only my two cents worth.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Terrence, that's very well put.
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

I figured that was it. Good point on the less appealing options list. I agree. Mine is bare bones... right now :)

After this springs refit she will make brand new McGregors jealous. Hehe.

While I am not a big fan of the name plate, I am an extremely big fan of the boat. I can say most certainly, after a season learning on my 22, I will be in the market for a Chrysler 26 :)
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I like the Chrysler 26 and when it is bare bones as mine was you make it your own with the upgrades and as I find something I want I can tinker and do it with sailing it does take longer because it is a sail boat not a work boat.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
double "D"

Post by double "D" »

White Water to Waves
1974 22' Sandpiper Frayed Knot
1995 20'Bayliner
14' River Raft
14' Canoe
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

NICE!
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I like that Double D
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree! Nice Dan!

Scott
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

I've found, that at least on my '26, some folks object to the lines of the cabin in that there is not a step down to clearly define the foredeck from the cabin roof deck. I like the utility and look but many don't care for it. Several times now folks have commented on the "oddness" of it and I believe this has to do with the low prices as well.

-JK
Alanhod
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Alanhod »

I think everyone has made good points here and I have wondered about this price variation at some length over the last few years. I'm going to go with the manufactures name.

Chrysler, the first CAR company government bail out. Chrysler sold off it thriving, profitable boat division to prove to the government it was focused on CARS so that everyone would see that they were committed.

Keeping in the car line of thinking can you say Ford Edsil. Very innovative ahead of it's time car. The butt of the car industry vehicles. K-Car was not even close to the Edsil in joke power. Now I;ve restored an Edsil and it was a very fine vehicle and was a joy to drive and built like a tank with some power to boot. The only car I restored that liked better was my 68 Cadillac.

That said, I am grateful that these Chrysler's are at the lower end of the price range. I can afford them and I can out sail anyone else in it's class for a fraction of the price. Also as stated very well above. I customize it the way I like it and keep it looking OEM as much as possible.

You know how when you get two sail boats going in the same general diction. How that constitutes a race? I truly love sailing up on the higher priced boats of the same class, spilling some air to say hello. Then blast past them for 80% less money and a lot more comfort. They always ask me what I'm sailing when I pull back and say ahoy over the rail. They first look confused, then anode as it sinks in that the Edsil just walked all over there hot to trot expensive gold plated floating lamborghini. :D Then I tighten up my sails much like my wallet and I smugly leave them in my wake. No not honorable or noble but it is true, and I love this boat so!

Thanks
Alan
It's a good life on the
Honu, 1976 C-22
My Chrysler Sailing Photos: http://s1297.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... ry/Sailing
timlabute

Post by timlabute »

Well said! I look forward to doing the same this summer :)
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

All good points. I used to dislike the C22's profile. I thought it was odd, but it was really just different and adds to the headroom over the V berth compared to a similar sized boat.

I drove 425 miles to look at my boat. Bought it, and dragged it home. After sailing it for three seasons and taking it to the Outer Banks for some bigger water adventures, I like it now more than ever.
I admit I had a little buyer's remorse until it was actually in the water. Ever since then, I have thoroughly enjoyed working on it and sailing on it.

An interesting side note is that a good friend of mine, who lives on his Beneteau 34, currently in Clearwater Beach Marina, had become friends with another sailor in an adjoining slip here in Tennessee. That fellow had a little wimpy boat, let me see, what was that? Oh yes, a Westsail 32! Anyone that knows Westsails, or Wetsnails, knows that they are very capable blue water boats.
Anyway, the Westsail owner proudly related to me several years back that his favorite boats were his Chrysler 22 and his Chrysler 26 and he wished he had never sold either one.

He took the Westsail down to Key West three years ago and then to the Bahamas. When calling from the Bahamas, he told us that he could have taken his Chrysler 22 the whole trip! Of course, he had good weather.

So last week my friend calls me from Clearwater and says that he had spoken to Jess, the Westsail owner. He said "Jess says if you ever want to sell your C22, please call him first!"

I think that says a lot.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

My girlfriend's mother and stepfather both retired from Chrysler and worked there through the 70's and 80's, yet said the familiar, "Chrysler? They made boats?"

I think that holds them back. People know the O'Day and Catalina names associated with sailboats. Although they know the Chrysler name, they tend to think "they make cars, how good could a boat from them be?" Of course we have the Halsey Herreshoff pedigree to fall back on.

When I was shopping I found them priced in the same range as many of the now defunct trailer sailor makers such as Balboa and South Coast. I was actually looking for a MacGregor 26D but found the Chrysler to be a lot more boat for the money. Unfortunately that goes for trailering too.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Well said Alan and I do the same thing as I will sail past most 26's with only the genoaand with the furler I can depower in seconds so it works to sail into a dock or the mooring and you see the Catalina owners coming in under power and hit reverse and full power and still have to throw a line over a cleat to prevent over running then people say you made it look so easy and I am always tempted to say yes grasshopper you become one with the vessel.
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway