Rudder Tiller Lift Ropes

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

Rudder Tiller Lift Ropes

Post by DVD »

Hi all,

It seems like the sheet to raise the rudder thru the rudder post up to the tiller does not want to move when on the trailer? When I raise externally the rudder using another sheet, it seems the line to lower is fine. Is this normal when not in the water due to rudder weight or?

thx dvd
monty

Post by monty »

I find that it is difficult to pull up the rudder when out of the water, in the water it is very buoyant and comes up on its' own
Messing About
78 C26D (I added the 'D' cause it's got the Volvo diesel!) #490
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

In the water I find it is opposite. It is hard to get the rudder down once up (I use my boat hook to assist). I doubt you will have the leverage to get the rudder up on the hard without damaging something (on the boat or on you :wink: ). I use a ratchet tie-down hooked to the rear lift eyes, or you can use the rails, to keep the rudder up while towing or in storage.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

When I got my boat the aluminum rudder assembly was cracked and rewelded in several places. I fabricated a new rudder assembly out of stainless steel. I used some thin pieces of HDPE plastic to make two 6" washers which I placed between the rudder assembly cheeks and the fiberglass rudder. I replaced the two pieces of 1/4" line with 3/8" line.
After they were pulled up through the rudder tube, I inserted them through 4" long pieces of 3/4" plastic electrical conduit to serve as handles and then tied the lines back to themselves. I can raise and lower the rudder quite easily. This system is also sufficient to raise the rudder while the boat is on dry land, and I never have to shove the rudder down while in the water. The rope does it easily. I think the plastic washers and liberal application of WD-40 make it work very well. You should have two clam cleats on the rudder to secure the lines in position.
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

gregcrawford wrote:...After they were pulled up through the rudder tube, I inserted them through 4" long pieces of 3/4" plastic electrical conduit to serve as handles...
Also good for keeping a line from falling down in the tube..had that happen once and was a royal pain to get it back
gregcrawford

Post by gregcrawford »

Yes. Been there, done that. Had to drop the rudder through the bottom while in the slip. That was easy. Getting it back in while holding my breath was another thing altogether...
Greg Crawford
Knoxville, TN

1976 Chrysler 22 "Blues Image"

http://bluesimage.blogspot.com/