I think I'll keep it...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

I think I'll keep it...

Post by hp18carr »

I think I'll keep it (1973 22' Oday shoal draft keel). Sorry it's not a Chrysler, but I feel it will be a good platform to learn and play on in the shallower lakes close to home, while continuing my work on the C26. The owner was moving and let it go at a price even I could not let pass.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O-Day 22' 1973
Old yellow (for now)
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

AWESOME!
Congrats on a new toy!

Take lots of photos while you are learning!

Scott
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

Nice!
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

Vary nice, now that you have one to work on an one to play on. I do hope you find the time to do a lot of sailing an playing. Let you adventure began
John K

Post by John K »

This is a fantastic boat. I had a chance to get one years ago, but it had not been maintained well. The shoal keel had rusted so badly that the board could not be retracted, and it was stuck in the water. I called Rudy at D & R marine (an indispensable source of parts for any Oday owner, and I am not affiliated http://www.drmarine.com/categories.asp ), and he said nothing short of jackhammering it out would solve the problem. I had no desire to deal with that, which led me to the Chrysler, and no regrets. That is a really good boat though.
1977 C22: Dog House
Mario G

Post by Mario G »

Congrats Terrence

I am working my way your way and hope its warm enough soon to see you out on the water when I'm there. The area I anchor at when I'm in your area would be perfect for the 22. If you want crew...hint hint.
Beady
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Beady »

Terrence:

Is that a recent photo? The reason I ask is because the ground looks green instead of white. Is that normal? I am soooo sick of snow.
Brian Eady
77 C-22
Sail La Vie
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Congrats Terrence at least you can get on the water.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Hey, I was down at Pass a while back and a couple guys were rigging/launching one like it. Sweet boat, they loved sailing theirs'
hp18carr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by hp18carr »

Brian

Not much snow down this way all winter long... I think it has something to do with living on the coast. Thanks to all for the words of approval about this little O-day I found. On closer inspection(it was raining cats&dogs at pickup) as with most 40 year old sailboats it will take more clearing/face-lifting than first anticipated, but this shall not deter me... you can still find most parts for this good old sailboat at D&R Marine online. Never fear even if it still looks like an ugly duckling... I'll have it in the water this summer. Here is another before pickup photo.

Terrence
Wilmington N.C.
Chrysler 26' 1980
Pandora (for now)
O-day 22' 1973
Old Yellow (for now)
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:Vary nice, now that you have one to work on an one to play on. I do hope you find the time to do a lot of sailing an playing. Let you adventure began
:lol:
I was just telling Capt Scott, I have this problem!!

Trying to work on one boat and sailing the other is a matter of discipline... HA! If the wind is up and we're off work together... we tend to go sailing :shock:

Hope it works out well and it is always nice to have the option!

Billy
Anhinga
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Anhinga »

My first boat was an oday 22 shoal draft. It's a great boat! Too bad frost and a wet core did mine in. Anyway, you'll run circles around the Catalina 22's because the shoal keel won't pick up weeds like it's swing keel cousins! The cabin is also a lot more useful without the keel trunk. You totally win on this one!

JK on Anhinga
clair hofmann

Post by clair hofmann »

Terrence, Concrats on the O'Day.We just got back from NC this afternoon. I was surprised to see your post with your new boat. I know you prefer fresh water but if you want to sail on the Bay River / Pamlico Sound, tow it up to our house and put it in at our ramp. I'll call you in the next day or two. We'll be back down in May.
Clair