C22 Mast Raising

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
DVD

C22 Mast Raising

Post by DVD »

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone have feedback on the success or failure of raising the mast using a couple or three folks without all the Gin pole procedures? As my upper an lower shrouds are attached I would hope this is an option.

I am now finding a semi crushed opening in the mast where the mast pin is supposed to be used, raising another thing to be dealt with in this process...

:roll:
Thanks
dvd
2nd generation

Post by 2nd generation »

I always raised and lowered that way. This would be done on the trailer. I would attach a long line to the fore stay, make sure you are over the bow pulpit, and run it in front of my tow vehicle. Slid your mast back to line up with the mast step, be sure someone holds the mast down as it will be heavier on the end hanging off the stern. Check all shrouds and back stay to make sure they are clear and not tangled. You need to have a strong helper at this point to begin lifting the mast. At the same time put tension on the line in front of the vehicle. It works best to have 2 people on the boat lifting the mast and one on the ground pulling the line. The person on the ground should not pull to hard at first as it will twist on the mast more then raise it. As the mast goes up more of the lifting will switch to the person on the line at this point the people on the boat steady the mast as it goes up. When the mast is up the people on the boat hold it by pushing forward the person on the ground then attachees the fore stay. Make sure your shrouds are not to tight before raising the mast and then adjust them if needed once the mast is up.

I know people will say this may not be the safest way to raise a C22 mast but it is the way I have always done it. I had a friend that would help me and we got to the point we could have the mast raised in about 15 minutes.
Mike
(former owner of) 1975 C-22 "Mel-O"
DVD

Thank you very much

Post by DVD »

That is great information!!!!! Now I have a backup if the Gin pole doesn't meet expectations!
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I've done it with the stock mast step using the boom/gin pole, by just lifting as you stated, and with the hinge installed.

Save your self a major headache and take the time to install a mast hinge.

With the hinges, and the side briddles, raising the mast is a non-event. I can do it solo using the boom and the pulley settup from the traveller. Twice I had the mast "pop" off the stock step and try to injure someone. Two hours and $80 will get you a stainless hinge that you will never have problems with.

Getting the mast up is part of the problem, getting the mast back down is huge. I can't find anyone who will stand under the mast and catch it as I lower it, hench the boom and pulleys.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I agree with the mast hinge 100%

The already provided iadeas are good and here is another method for you. If you have three healthy guys, and the halyards are in great shape, I have added a long line to each halyard. then having TWO lines going to the top of the mast, you can have two fellows , one on each line go forward on either side of the tow vehicle. Spread them out so they can control where the top of the mast goes. Then one guy goes abourd and lifts the mast while the other two pull together with guidance from the guy lifting the mast. As stated before soon the guy lifting the mast will have nothing to do but guide the other two pulling. Making sure they each pull eveninly and the mast goes straight up!

Like the other method this is very affective and you can raise and lower the mast very quickly.

Just another option for ya!
Scott