depth sounders...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
astrorad

depth sounders...

Post by astrorad »

Who is using a depth sounder on the C22 and where did you mount your transducer? I would like to inhull mount my Humminbird transducer...I think that there would be a nice place under the flat spot used for the original Head location on the C22. The location is just forward of the port settee bulkhead...forward of the compression post. I think that there may be plywood under the cabin liner. Careful hole sawing there could provide a nice void to mount a transducer ahead of the keel along the centerline of the boat.
Any thoughts my most helpful shipmates????
Bill
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I have not mounted mine yet, Bill, but was thinking along the same lines as you.

I'm also strongly considering even further forward under the v-berth, under the bottom of the storage area. Even less chance of the keel bothering the pattern, though I don't think that would be much of an issue either place.

I want to open that section up anyways to see if it is filled with floatation foam. If so, I'm sure mine is saturated like the rest was in the starboard settee. If wet, I need to get it out anyways so it dries out.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I have one on Lady Jo!
Works great. It is mounted in the sette aft of the table. Pull the big board and it is ther as far forward and centered as possible!

I copied someone here, I think maybe Billy, and used a 4" abs coupler and cap. The coupler is glued to the hull with 3M 4200, filled with water and transducer set in place. A notch is cut for the wire. Then the cap is screwed into place!

Works great!

Oh yeah, spent 4 hours on Lady Jo this evening! NICE! 0-8 kts of wind, no seas at all. Just a slow relaxing sail!
Scott
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have a Uniden Depth Meter with a in-hull transducer (no hole) that I mounted as far forward and as close to center line in the forward dinette sette as possible.
Looks much like this, but mounted in a sleeve that allows you to level the transducer on the angled hull;
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... sNum=50167
In that location it's forward of the keel pin. I have had no issues with keel inference.
I filled the sleeve with mineral oil so it won't freeze and crack.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanks everyone...I think that I may try Capt.Scott's method before I make any holes in the cabin liner. Humminbird recommends slow cure epoxy for mounting to hull once a useable location has been determined, but I like the idea of it being removable as in Scott's idea. The main thing I want the sounder for is as a shallow water warning device. I just have to remember to remove water before winter.
Bill
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I mounted mine outside on the stern slightly left of centerline, pointed straight down. Ran the wire through an existing hole where a different motor mount was installed, then inside and fowrard down the port side to my meter mounted in an electrical panel.

Mine is a cheap 2 inch panel mount, and I looked at buying a thu hull that would require a drilled hole,and the flush mount insde idea as well. I paid $50 for it on eBay, was "used" but had never been installed.

At the speed we go any warning is good enough, I set the alarm for 20 feet, the lake I sail is man made and 20 yards off shore is 100 feet deep. I've never gotten an alarm except as I beach it, or pull it on the trailer.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

on my 26 i used the hummingbird and mounted 2' forward of the keel behind my water tank which was originally the area for the cooler epoxied in with no air bubbles and works great and when a fish swims under close to the hull at times will reflect and give me an alarm.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

On my C26 I use the skimmer sensor mounted to the transom with 3M automotive trim tape. No problems holes and no problems in 3 years of use.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

On C26(2) i mounted mine by laying down a big goop of clear silicone then pressing the sensor into that. Did same on the Cal 21, worked great both times.
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanks again to all...it sounds like inside the hull and transom will all be good options. I am going to try Scott's method first, sounds EZPZ. I am trying to avoid anything outside that may get knocked off. I understand that thru the hull from inside the boat does reduce the range and sensitivity somewhat, but it seems that it does work well enough if you make sure that there is no air between transducer and hull.
As usual I am all theory with no practical experience...I am trying to finish boat projects this summer, at least giving it my best shot.
Bill