SUPER CHEAP LED interior lighting... How to with photos! :)

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Dayenu

SUPER CHEAP LED interior lighting... How to with photos! :)

Post by Dayenu »

What we now have, was once, only hoped for...
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Great write up !

"NOTE: thick CA type modeling glue was used (Crazy glue)"

I do love the scent of some CA glue on balsa, especially with a spritz of accelerator applied ! 8)
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Laughing here:

Oh how I love the smell of napalm in the morning! LOL

Yes, this stuff can give off an eye irritating fume... just keep your face back! Especially with accelerator! :shock:

Thanks for the kind words...

The biggest thing we were excited about was the natural light by using the orange filters! Wow! Like home lighitng without the "blue haze".

Next thing on the list is rebuilding the carburetor and replacing the fusel line system!

I learned SO MUCH about ethenol fuel... NEVER again! Our boats, lawn mower and weedeater are now getting the hgih octane non-ethenol fuel...

Weird, I don't think I've read much here about this issue... Outboards that won't start or run horribly.... What a difference with the good stuff (as well as using "Sea Foam" to help clean out what I can't reach by hand...

oh... different subject... Just a major part of where I've been focussed in the boat department...g etting our outboards (three of them) to run like they were new again... and one that still won't start... hence, carburetor rebuild time! :shock:
Dayenu

CA on Blasa?

Post by Dayenu »

EE,
Balsa.... a model airplane builder per chance? :D

Check out my other website:

www.jarelaircraftdesign.com

LOTS of CA fumes! in the morning, the afternoon, and at night!

LOLOLOL! :)
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CA on Blasa?

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ricky&Lucy wrote:EE,
Balsa.... a model airplane builder per chance? :D

Check out my other website:

www.jarelaircraftdesign.com

LOTS of CA fumes! in the morning, the afternoon, and at night!

LOLOLOL! :)
Yep ! Haven't in a long while tho, last one was a TopFlite Corsair, full flaps and retracts. Even addded panel lines and rivets. I still have the fuselage, and a few parts of the wing,, :cry: Sometimes I build better than I fly..

Lately been collecting old Comet rubber powered kits I had as a kid. Only built one so far, the 54" Aeronca last year. Forgot how hard it was to cut out your own parts !
Smier

Post by Smier »

Very nicely done, thanks for more ideas for future projects!
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

Very nice, Richard! Some of those LEDs have a very large voltage range, so bumping up to 12 volts would not be a problem.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
Dayenu

Post by Dayenu »

Thanks Mark!

I wasn't sure what voltage range these LED's were capable of withstanding, so I just followed the voltage of the batteries they were originally manufactured to use.

I wonder if the marine LED's are designed for 12 volt, or if they contain resistors to bring the voltage down? Maybe depends on brand and make?

Also: there is a company I use in CHina to procure all sorts of stuff... (Hobby King... I don't have the link here... but they sell all sorts of LED's designed for night flying of RC aircraft including long flat ribbons that might be great just underneath the overhang above the cabin seats... Hoping to use them for indirect "mood" lighitng... Also wondering if a potentiometer/dial might facilitate dimming LED's of this nature?

Thanks!

Richard
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

Last model I built was a J3 cub with ailerons and a bomb bay door and dropped talc bombs on the crowd or field.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
mcrandall
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by mcrandall »

I've used a lot of product from Oznium.com. In fact, I recently installed the indirect "mood lighting" in the form of strip LEDs and pots as dimmers. They sell just the thing, not dirt cheap, but less that what you might expect from some of the "marine" vendors.

Then too, you can use LED rope lights (12-volt) for this purpose. They work great if you have the room for the tube. Otherwise, these strip lights are on 3M adhesive tape and are less than 1/8 inch in height-nice for tight spots.

Make no mistake, whatever you use, that indirect light is wonderful! Strongly recommend going with the warm whites in this app.
Mark
http://s1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc4 ... ew%20C-22/
1975 C-22 currently named Stardust (soon to be "Angela Marie")
bay surfer

Post by bay surfer »

Replaced all my fixtures in my C-26 with all Rectangular LED fixtures, AFTER 30 years they fall apart. The Bulb in them are the Green flat high intensity bulb, pure white light no blueish tint and are as bright and white as the old lights. We also use a red trailer running light in the main cabin for night sailing supercheap and a jumbo red LED in the V Berth (which was glued to the light fixture, switch and resister 350ohm also put in fixture.
Outside, the Mastlight and a anchar light are Ace Hardware Garden lights, 2 bucks and for some reason they look like the 35$ ones they have at West Marine go figure, but without the brackets. One solarpanal on forward hatch, run fans, lights, radios, chargers, and Battery never runs down.