Chrysler 26 launching

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KenO

Chrysler 26 launching

Post by KenO »

Posted this in the trailering area and got no replies. When I launched my swing keel 26 the other day the truck was farther in the water than I wishes as there is no extended tongue on the trailer. Has anyone ever used the system of detaching from the towing vehicle and placing a large wheel on the tongue and using a towing strap to put the trailer in the water while the vehicle stays dry. saw a Santana 20 do this successfully but is a much lighter boat.
So far we are enjoying our new 26
lecker68

Post by lecker68 »

I was thinking of the same thing but 2 wheels oriented in a straight position.
Catch the wind and ride the wave, Have fun
Lyle
1980 C-26 #1100
S/V My Getaway
http://www.flickr.com/photos/34432376@N06/
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I've always wondered about the haulout tho..if you needed the straps to get trailer in water far enough, seems to reason you'd need them again to haulout..guess they're plenty strong to pull the boat back out with ?
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

I've never done this however I have a friend who has used this method extensively. Same issue. No tongue extension and did not want to dip the PU.

I understand if done properly it is highly effective.

Welcome to the forum and sorry we missed your first post!!

Scott
aerojet777

launching

Post by aerojet777 »

i ran into this problem and what i found was my keel was slightly down just a few inches so the boat wouldnt come out. once i tighted the cable it came out with only about 5" of water on the back wheels of my truck. the angle of the ramp will cause the boat to roll out even if its not totally floating.

this was with an ez loader trailer, if its carpet it may need to be deeper.
KenO

Post by KenO »

Since I posted talked to a full keeled Catalina 25 skipper. He uses a single nonturning wheel on a fork attached to a pivoting anchor on the tongue. Uses a 8000# tow strap to lower and retrieve the trailer/boat. Need to stop on the ramp, block the trailer tires and attach the strap and tire. Pull forward un block and allow the trailer to descend the ramp. He says is very safe.
On another note, my boat came with a 150 jib. Too big. Best place to get a new 130?
Ken
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

Depending on the water level on the river;
On low water level I only need to back in until the back tires touch the water 8)
On high water I need to back down until the back bumper is almost submerged to float the boat off/on. :shock:
The marina ramp get steeper farther down.
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

??
Last edited by Chrysler20%26 on Thu Jul 11, 2013 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Chrysler20%26 wrote:My C-26 has a EZ Loader Trailer ( I think most C-26 boats came with this type of trailer ) You can use the winch to pull the boat out of the water. By adding a block near the end of the trailer, an running the winch cable thru it an back to bow eye You can pull the boat off the trailer. Vary Little Water Needed
Or the EE method - back trailer up at a good clip and slam on the brakes, lol..best have it tied to something solid before you do that ! Comes off and hits water at a fair clip. :shock: