Cracks around mast step...Pics inside

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zac Penn

Cracks around mast step...Pics inside

Post by Zac Penn »

This is my first Chrysler 22 and it needs a lot of work to get it water ready. The first thing I want to address are the cracks around the mast step....

They do not look too bad, but I don't want water to keep leaking through these cracks and cause problems. I removed the metal tabernacle to see what it looked like below and it looked pretty darn good. Just a couple small cracks but nothing serious. The screw holes were pretty stripped though so i am going to need to fix that as well.

I am not too familiar with fiberglass work, but I have always been a fast learner and very good with my hands. If you guys have some tips for me as to how to go about this repair it would be greatly appreciated.

Zac
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

I think a little west system epoxy would go a long way on that. It is available at most marine stores. There are some good videos available on your tube giving a good idea of how it works.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante
Chrysler20%26

Post by Chrysler20%26 »

welcome aboard, you may try a little pant.
C22Bob
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by C22Bob »

Those look like simple stress cracks in the gel coat only. Nothing too bad. My C22 had the same when I got her. Mostly cosmetic. The deck is over an inch thick there. Pickup a gelcoat repair kit. Work it in, sand and paint.
FranS

Post by FranS »

If you removed the mast step consider installing a hinged mast step. It's an easy install, not very expensive and makes raising the mast a whole lot easier.
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

Thank you all very much!
It is reassuring to hear that it looks like nothing serious. I was going to repaint the boat sometime, so i guess it might as well be sooner than later.
I was thinking about using a hinged step, but all of this is overwhelming at first and I do not know what brand/dealer has a good reputation in the sailing world.
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I made a thread on here when I installed mine. I did a google search for the part number someone else used, then ordered it. I think the hinge was about $60. It makes it SO much easier to raise it single handed. I wouldn't worry about the stress cracks, unless you are trying to make a showboat. As long as water isn't getting into the core you shouldn't have any problems.

Sail more, worry less....
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

N41EF wrote:I made a thread on here when I installed mine. ..
And here it is..
http://www.chryslersailors.com/discussi ... mast+hinge
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

N41EF wrote:I made a thread on here when I installed mine. I did a google search for the part number someone else used, then ordered it. I think the hinge was about $60. It makes it SO much easier to raise it single handed. I wouldn't worry about the stress cracks, unless you are trying to make a showboat. As long as water isn't getting into the core you shouldn't have any problems.

Sail more, worry less....
I know it is't that much money ($30) but could I get away with the cheaper of the two hinges? I have a lot of work to do on the boat and $30 will help.

As for the cracks... How would I know for sure if water is coming in through them? There was a lot of water inside the boat when we bought it so we are going to have to figure out where it is leaking from. We were thinking about spraying a hose up in the air and sitting inside to see where it leaks from.
Andiron120
Site Admin
Site Admin

Leaks

Post by Andiron120 »

The windows are very common culprits as far as leaks go. I also had to re-bed the winches and companionway runners.
"I feel no need to go anywhere the ice gets larger than will fit in my glass"
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

N41EF wrote:I made a thread on here when I installed mine. ....
Please go back and read your thread again. I asked if you had a picture of the end result quite a while ago. :lol: