tongue weight

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
KenO

tongue weight

Post by KenO »

Anyone know the average tongue weight of a 26 swing keel?
Thanks in advance
Ken
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Never weighed mine - maybe someone with chime in with a specific, but I always assumed a loaded boat weight of 6000 and a trailer weight of 1000, so tongue would be between 700 and 1050 at 10 or 15%
windnutlarry

tongue weight

Post by windnutlarry »

I don't think it would be quite that high. A C26 would require a dual-axle trailer which would support more weight in the center. Depending on where the winch support is set and how the boat is loaded, I think 250llbs is in the range. If in doubt, run your tow vehicle over a truck scale without the boat, and then again with it. Junkyards and some moving companies also have them, or just search "Public Scales".
adamh

Post by adamh »

My C-26 is pretty balanced as it sits on the trailer empty. I pull mine with a K2500 HD and a ball mount without any drop so there is some weight on the tongue. If someone were to use a van with the same set up there would be negative tongue weight. I prefere to shift as much gear forward as I can just to gain weight on the ball to eliminate any sway.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Normal tongue weight should be 5-7%
KenO

Post by KenO »

Thanks for the info. Making a tongue wheel to allow trailer launch using a strap and needed to size the wheel for expected tongue weight.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Tongue weight will be much less on an incline. If you are going to put wheels on the front, and going down the ramp on a rope, the front might lift off of the ground.
KenO

Post by KenO »

I have watched many a Cat 25 and a Dana 24 with a front wheel and so far have not seen any problems. Am aware of the potential problem and will be watching closely.
Without the wheel I must put way too much of my truck in the water.