To Caulk or Not To Caulk? That is the question...

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
Zac Penn

To Caulk or Not To Caulk? That is the question...

Post by Zac Penn »

I have a good deal of cracks and gaps in my C22 toe rail where the existing caulking has separated from the hull/deck. I have watched the toe rail videos from Astrorad and he says the toe rail should not be caulked to allow for drainage. However if it is removed, cleaned, reset with 5200 and smoothed out at the deck/hull then there is no reason for water to drain through the toe rail.

Either way the toe rail is coming off because the screws are rusting, just wondering if caulk should be used?

Thanks,
Zac
windnutlarry

caulking

Post by windnutlarry »

The toe rail has some caulk, but not all that much. The hull/deck joint is the "shoe box" style, with a flange of about 1 1/2" extending down from the deck assembly. This flange goes down over the upper edge of the hull all the way around, so water would have to go UP under the flange to enter the cabin. The toe rail covers the flange, and is held by sheet metal screws on 6" centers under the rub strip. That is a bunch of screw holes (some of mine were missing), and water getting under the rail could migrate through those. Barring impact damage, I can't see serious leaks from the joint itself.
Zac Penn

Post by Zac Penn »

Thanks for the reply. I think that is why astrorad didn't want to caulk the toe rail, and I don't think i will either. However I will squeeze caulk into each of the screw holes before I install the toe rail, so the screws get bedded into the caulk and water cannot get in that way.

However if the surface was prepared properly, and a good caulk applied to the toe rail, then installed, smoothed out, and cleaned up then I think it would nice not worrying about small pieces of dirt or whatever getting trapped in the open joint between the toe rail and the deck.

Maybe I just need more peoples opinions on this...
Zac
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Dirt and debris does find its way into the gap between deck and toerail, but I just spray with a hose to clean it out or you could also use a compressed air hose and nozzle to get the really stubborn stuff out.
I cleaned out the old caulk in the deck to hull joint and resealed with 5200.
When I reinstalled my toerails the screws passed thru the 5200 caulk also.
It was a real tough job to do but I won't ever have to do it again...did it need to be done??? Well I think that I have a much better hull to deck seal than was in there before. The boat is bone dry now.
Bill
windnutlarry

caulking

Post by windnutlarry »

There is one other consideration in that the caulk probably acts as a cushion between the aluminum toe rail and the thin fiberglass deck flange. It would help keep dock impacts from chipping and cracking the gelcoat at least. Just a thought.