Chrysler 26 Swing Keel Pin - Inspection

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
eamac

Chrysler 26 Swing Keel Pin - Inspection

Post by eamac »

Does anyone know of details about how the swing keel pin is situated on a 1978 C-26? I have read a previous post cited below and the Chrysler Association website, but it appears as though the pin design could be different on my boat. It is not apparent that the pin travels from the side of one bracket through to the other, but may be cradled between the two keel brackets and not visible without removing the brackets. I have started sandblasting this area and will continue to examine for evidence of entry of the pin from the outside of the brackets. I hope this message makes sense...any insight is appreciated.

I'd rather not mess with it unless necessary, but it makes sense to inspect it for safety's sake since I am replacing the winch and cable.

Thanks,
Betsy

"I removed my swing keel a couple of years ago from the C-26 I bought used. I was concerned about the noise comming from the keel when at rest. As the boat rocked, the keel would knock about in the trunk. My fear was that the pin was worn to the point of breaking. As with the C-22 that I had owned, new in 1977, for a number of years, the nylon sleve, bushing had worn, allowing the keel freedom to move about. On the C-22, the pin is removed from inside the boat. On the C-26, there are two brackets holding the pin. These brackets are removed from the bottom of the boat. I used a floor jack while the boat was supported on stands to balance the keel. Most of the wieght is held by the wench cable in the center of the keel. The stainless steel pin, 5/8 dia, has a nylon bushing as stated, that fits thru the 3/4" hole in the keel. I had the two brackets bored to hold a 3/4" stainless pin, with cert fittings on the end of the brackets. No more noise, and no fear of the pin failing."[/i]