removing fur from aft birth

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
aerojet777

removing fur from aft birth

Post by aerojet777 »

hi all,

i spend 2 days removing the fur from the aft birth of my c26 then sanding using the random orbital sander. this was alot harder than i thought. i will post pics soon. i decided to remove the fur when i got a spider bite when climbing back there. i think bugs like the fur. the question i have is why would fur be installed in a boat in the first place ?
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Fur ? Was it the remains of old foam backing from the vinyl liner ?
aerojet777

fur

Post by aerojet777 »

Hi EE,, it was actually like fake fur but they glued it to the inside walls of the aft birth. it was a breeding ground for mold and other nasty things so i had to remove it now im painting it so it stays more dry in there.

:D
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Ewwww...somehow that makes me think of an old Chevy Van from the 70's or something...bet it was a lot of work...
Windwalker

Post by Windwalker »

My 78 also has "fur" in the aft berth. White or off-white that holds stains, especially rust, very well. I think it was standard in some years. From the aft berth forward its the standard "tuck & roll" white vinyl.

Good luck painting, the fiberglass there is very rough, unfinished. I have been toying with the idea of very thin, 1/8", plywood. I found some at the local plywood shop that is "mahogany", probably Okoume.

Baring that, recover it with vinyl using spray adhesive.
Dave

1976 Mutineer
bearley
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by bearley »

I removed all the fur in the rear berth area, and removed the tuck-n-roll vinyl everywhere. Is there any reason not to install commercial carpeting on the side walls of the forward berth where the vinyl used to be?