Need a Little Guidance Stepping the Mast On A C-22

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
billsfan60

Need a Little Guidance Stepping the Mast On A C-22

Post by billsfan60 »

Brought our new boat home yesterday and plan to put her in the water sometime this week. Been doing ok getting her ready but could use some guidance on a couple of things. My last boat a catalina 22 had a stainless cable that raised and lowered the keel, but the chrysler has a rope. Don't want to get out on the water and have the darn thing break so feel it should be replaced as I don't know how long its been there. Hoping someone can let me know what kind of a job this is going to be.

Also I don't want to look like a complete idiot at the marina so figure I should step the mast at home to get familiar with the process. Is there a painless way to step the little dear with as little drama as possible.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Welcome to the forum!

If you want to look like you know what you are doing, the only answer is to KNOW what you are doing.

Practice at home a couple of times with your crew. Three healthy competent folks can step the mast in moments. Easy peezy. Cleat one end of each halyard at the base of thy mast. Add 20 feet or so of each end of th halyards at the other end. Send one person forward and to starboard, the other to port. Each with a line tied to the halyards. Picture a v facing forward. The third person in on the boat lifting the mast while the other two pull forward. The mast should go up easily if you watch the angles. Do not allow the mast to swing left or right.

The other option is using a gin pole per the factory instructions. Works great and is heavily documented.

If you would prefer a chat, feel free to call me. CaptainScottSailing.com has my number and I would happily answer questions!!!

Just mention you are from the forum.

I've owned 4 c22's and. Consider myself very capable. Congrats on the new c22! They are very nice boats!

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Having just bought a C-22, and having yet to put her in the water (tomorrow, hopefully), I'm no expert. However, I've gotten lots of help here and I've raised the mast several times in my yard with no issues. Capt. Scott is one of them, and actually came to my house to inspect my boat and give some insight. He built a dedicated gin pole ans uses it instead of the boom to raise the mast. Either way, it's a one man job with the gin pole/boom method using the bridles.

But first: The rope keel thing should be a stainless wire rope. You will need to raise the boat off thetrailer , but not very far. Just raise the stern enough to lower the keel til the steel ring with the other end of the rope is accessible. If you get under the boat, you might even be able to see the connection at about 1/3rd of the way from the end of the keel. It could be that the rope is connected somewhere along the way, with a steel cable at the keel end, so you should at least have a look.

If you can get the boat up in the air a bit, you may be able to do the job without a full extension of the keel.

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/OutnB ... 4814204506

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/OutnB ... 4814204506

Mast raising requires a set of bridles. I mad e a set from instructions I got from a gent on this forum and they work well. I'm sure he'll be along shortly. Meanwhile, I'll try to find the drawing he provided and post it here for you. I suggest you follow the measurements closely. The actual instructions in the original owner's manual are kind of complex and wordy, plus, they are accompanied by over simple and non precise illustrations - not photos with handy captions.
billsfan60

Post by billsfan60 »

First, thanks for the great advice.

As far as the mast is concerned, my entire crew is my wife and I so the more mechanical advantage the better.

The info y'all gave me on the keel cable caused me to go out and lower the keel enough to see where the cable attaches to the keel without raising the boat off the trailer (I have a replacement trailer and an original chrysler outboard. Seems to me should have been the other way around. Go figure). That being said the plan is to replace the cable tomorrow. Visions of replacing it in scuba gear in the Alabama river so I can get back up the slough to my dock slip are driving the project.

Just hope I can someday provide insight for someone else the way y'all have for me.

Many Thanks
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Alabama River - hey, I know where that is !

Captain Scott has an excellent page on the subject of stepping the mast.

CLICK HERE
N41EF

Post by N41EF »

I have the drawings for the briddles, send me a PM with your email if you need them.

The keel cable is 3/16 stainless steel, I bought everything needed at Home Depot. You only need to lower the keel a few inches to replace the cable. Check the keel section, there are pictures of when I replaced mine. Replace the plastic tube that sticks up in the boat when you replace the cable.
1979 C22 S/V Client Meeting
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

N41EF is the guy who helped me. Just do it like he says. Chuck, I took the boat out today for the first time. Great fun, nice handling. Thanks.