C-22 First Launch

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
OutnBacker

C-22 First Launch

Post by OutnBacker »

First launch went smoothly on monday, despite the scads of people at the ramps for the humpies. Acres of rigs everywhere. It's easy to tell when Boeing is doing well around here: you can't get to the ramps and you can't get into a restaurant.

The hitch extension I made works well but it sure doesn't like the ribs in the concrete. Good thing it's temporary.

The wind was elusive at times, but we found some and the boat did well enough in light airs. There was a good couple of runs over four or five miles that got us up to 5.5 to 6mph. The genoa was defintely in play, all bagged out as far as I could get it, to catch and hold as much air as possible. It did not appear that anyone was doing much better if at all, except for a bigger cutter with two heads'ls and very large racing boat with carbon fiber everything.

Perhaps best of all, the Tohatsu 6hp Sail Pro performed perfectly. Very quiet and plenty of power. It's always a comfort to know that you got a good motor in the deal.

I have it at the marina for one more day, so I hope tomorrow will see a bit of wind. I'll be my own deck monkey because everyone's at work, but I'm on vacation. I'll be bringing her home thursday with a list of items to do, including running all lines aft.

Here's a couple pics:
http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/OutnB ... 9275992363

http://s1125.photobucket.com/user/OutnB ... 9275992363
dubbinchris

Post by dubbinchris »

Great to see you got it out. I wish my weekend hadn't been filled with moving, else I'd have been out a day or two sailing.
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

Sounds great ! I had a 4hp Tohatsu on the Cal21. Fine motor..
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

Oh man! We missed ya Monday! We were out in Destiny crabbing! I had an eye to weather looking for ya though!

I'll likely be out tonight on Lady Jo. Plan is to arrive at the launch at 3:30 or so and dip the lady. I have some folks to take out sailing at 4:00. Maybe I'll see you this evening? Weather is upper 70's and 10kt of wind!

We'll be flying full main and the 110. Genny is at home. Forgot to bring it.

I too have a tohotsu motor. 9.8 4 stroke! Perfectly reliable, easy start, and looks nice! She does idle a little rough but that is OK. I understand it is running lean at idle to meet EPA standards.

Scott
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I'm moored at the south dock, way out at the end at the opening. Just hanging out at home waiting for some clearing of the weather. SailFlow has been lying lately and its been pretty dead, but I'm going out anyway. Probably hit it at about the same time, maybe see you later. I'll be looking for the Lady. A C-22 is easy to spot.

Strange that I didn't see Destiny. We saw two Beneteaus but not yours. We were slalloming through the pots, too. Drew some glares til I advised my helmsman what all those funny little bobbers were and to point her up a bit and get outa there.

I plan on just using the working jib because I'll be solo and nothing runs aft yet. Might be a bit easier to handle for a near rookie. The sheet is one line on the jib but there are two on the genoa and they are big and fat and hang up badly on the shrouds. The list of minor tweaking grows...
EmergencyExit
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by EmergencyExit »

I meant to say I got a kick out of her name - or is it lack of name ?
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Yeah, that's the first thing I noticed when I saw her in the former owner,s yard. Sin Nombre "No Name".

I suppose I'll leave it that way for awhile because I usually don't name my boats, but I was thinking of something like: "Fill In The _____"
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

Well, after three days at the marina and almost no wind, I at least now believe that I have a good motor in the Tohatsu. I spent some time at the dock rigging reef lines, which were never installed. And, I know I can launch and retrieve while not looking like a complete idiot. There was a little good sailing and I got the chance to single hand the boat with the stock setup, which will change this winter. I have a List, as expected. Simple repairs for the most part. She's at home all washed up for saturday, when I hope for some steady breeze.

End of report.