Auto inflatable Life Jackets

Here you can discuss Chrysler Sailing across all makes of Chrysler sailboats.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Auto inflatable Life Jackets

Post by CaptainScott »

I don't believe we've talked about these before!

Aboard Destiny we use the auto inflatable life jackets with built in harnesses. They work great and are very comfortable relative to any other life jackets I've worn.

Last week I was teaching on a 52' Irwin Ketch and had my life jacket on. we spied a squal headed for us rapidily coming down Puget Sound and into Posession Sound where we were at. We were practicing docking and were across the river about 5 minutes to the marina. I commented to the owner we should head back. He smailed and said," no worries! We'll beat the rain!".

About half way across the river it started to rain. As we entered the marina it was raining extremely hard!

By the time we were tied off at the dock it was OMG raining! Raining so hard we were soaked to the bone! Being aware I took my life jacket off and stored it inside while we concluded our evening!

All said and done, I was walking down the dock in the extremely heavy downpour with my life jacket under my left arm, soaked to the bone and trying to decide if I should strip to my skivvies before getting into my PU we suddenly POOOOOOF! My left arm was sticking out wrapped over a fully inflated life vest! Yikes! That woke me up! another fellow walking the dock going the other way commented as he passed . . ." looks like it works!" LOL!

We love ours and recommend them to anyone who will wear it properly!
Scott
astrorad

Post by astrorad »

Thanks for the good advice.
Bill
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

I needed one just to cross my patio day day. I've been here all my life and never seen it rain that hard, and for an hour, too.

John
adamh

Post by adamh »

The inflatable vests we have claim to inflate when they are submerged in 4 inches of water. I suppose if you are soaking wet and putting pressure on the arming sensor it could have been fooled. Its good to know they work. Too bad it costs $30.00 to find out. I do agree they are much more comfortable than the conventional jackets.
Adam

1978 C-26 s/v "Alpha"
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

Wow...

FWIW...

I just had to re-arm both of ours. They do expire... and should be replaced every 3 yrs on our make. Ours didn't get wet. Arrived at boat to sail an found one on cabin floor inflated. The other went off when getting ready to sail solo. It was in tha cabin and sun was shining on it when it inflated an scared me big time! Neither had water involved....
Capt. Bondo
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Capt. Bondo »

I have been shopping these inflatable PFD's for a couple months now.
And would love to get some honest reviews of brands and models from the folks here. I trust you guys more that someone wanting to sell me something :shock:

What brand and make do you have?
Thumbs up or down?
Problems?
Rearming costs?

Sorry to highjack your string Scott, but it looks like it was heading this way. :roll:
H:)ppy Place
78 Chrysler 22

You can go to a Zen Master or you can go Sailing, either way you end up in about the same place..... a Happy Place
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

No worries!

Glad to help!

We have two sospenders and one west marine brand.

The sospenders were bought years ago when they were first US Coast Guard Approved. Mustang was the other brand available.

We absolutely LOVE our Sospenders. We spent the extra bucks and got the ones with the heavy harness for lifting you out of the water. Thank God we've never needed the harness aspect. I can say from personal preference ONLY. I like the feel of the thicker harness. Not sure why. Maybe it is a security thing. Maybe just mental thinking thicker is better when in reallity the none harness is adequate. However I strongly prefer the harness version. We also have the auto inflatable version. They inflate if they get wet enough. No depth pressure involved. Simple as that. Both my daughter and my wife have been in the kayaks or more accurately boarding the kayaks from Destiny when they slipped and went in. INSTANT LIFE JACKET! Both girls were more than adequately floated! Picture the old orange life jackets . . . . .

Sadly when my daughter was dunked she weighed in at 85 lbs. Thes clearly indicate 100 lbs or GREATER person. LOL! My poor daughter was SO bouyant that all she could do was float on her back! LOL! Kind of silly looking and we had a good laugh! well, I did!

These life jackets are indeed something I will wear when there are times when I will not wear a life jacket due to heat, uncomfortable, etc. Beacuse of these jackets we actually WEAR them! Far safer than a life jacket in the lazerette!

A few things to remember, they ARE NOT life jackets in the Coast Guards eyes if you do not have them on. If you get stopped with these as the only life jackets aboard and you are not wearing them, you will be ticketed.

These are NOT cold water or offshore life jackets.

Do not wear these under clothes!!!!!!! Probably not feel good to have a coat on over one of these and have it blow! LOL!

If you get them, it would be wise to see one inflate or maybe have your crew inflate on just to see it does not hurt or scare you. It is simply a loud whoooooosh and you have a life jacket on!

Carry a spare refill for each jacket. You WILL use it sooner or later!

If you lived closer to me I'd loan you one of ours. You will not be dissappointed.

Lastly be sure whatever you get is comfortable and is US Coast Guard approved.

Hope this helps and I'm happy to answer further questions if you have them!

If any of ours were lost, stolen or quit working, I would immediatley without hesitation replace it with the same or something similar!!!!!
Scott

PS: this is not meant to discourage the purchase of a Mustang or anyother brand. We just happended to buy Sospenders and love them! I believe Mustang was not as available at the time to me so we went Sospenders.
Rivercruiser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Rivercruiser »

Thanks for the good info...
C-26
Hunter 29.5
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I've been giving a lot of thought to converting mine to manual only operation.

Some are recommending this after last year's Chicago-Mackinac disaster. It seems the sudden buoyancy may have contributed to trapping some sailors under a capsized boat.

In addition, as you experienced, rain or a wave can cause unexpected inflation.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
tgentry
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by tgentry »

I've been giving a lot of thought to converting mine to manual only operation.

Some are recommending this after last year's Chicago-Mackinac disaster. It seems the sudden buoyancy may have contributed to trapping some sailors under a capsized boat.

In addition, as you experienced, rain or a wave can cause unexpected inflation.
Tom
1981 Endeavour 43 s/v Pearl Lee
Former 1976 Columbia Payne 9.6 s/v Gin Rhumby
Former 1979 Chrysler 26, s/v Copacetic
http://www.asswhaffleyachtclub.net
http://www.svpearllee.com
Bhacurly
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bhacurly »

We have WM coastal types...

Like Capt Scott said, they are more comfortable and we do wear them more because of it. We still have a couple older waterski type vests which are warmer in the spring and fall and wear them under our windbreakers.

Guess I would be more worried bout getting whacked by the boom and knocked out and overboard then trapped in an inverted boat... but on our lake that is more likely than a capsize. Also I don't have a lot of extra body fat and sink like a rock!
OutnBacker

Post by OutnBacker »

"Also I don't have a lot of extra body fat and sink like a rock!

So unlike me. I float butt to the sky, so any PDF is a must.
CaptainScott
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CaptainScott »

tgentry wrote: Some are recommending this after last year's Chicago-Mackinac disaster. It seems the sudden buoyancy may have contributed to trapping some sailors under a capsized boat.

My opionion only:There is no way I would use that race accident as a defining factor in my life jacket choice. Extremely rare accident where an all out raceboat with minimum keel went over and stayed over. Both persons who died , died of blunt force trama to the head. You can picture what might of happend. I'd be inclinded to keep my auto inflatable life jackets as is and not buy a KIWI 35 sailboat that has zero ultimate stability.

I'll stick with my auto inflatable AND my keel boat with little initial stability and TONS of ultimate stability. It is extremely unlikely that one of our boats will flip over so hard and fast that it would hurt you. It is more likely you'd get hit by the boom or such, knocked overboard, and NEED a life jacket.

Not arguing with you tgentry, just indicating a different opinion to anyone considering deactivating the auto inflate capabilities!

Personally for my sailing habits, I'm more likely to fall overboard! LOL!
I'd like to not think, now where the heck is that little red pull thing!
Scott
Padiunka

Post by Padiunka »

We use the West Marine 35 offshore with the built in harness. Good for tying into a jack line in rough weather or at night. $30 bucks a recharge. We did a demo a couple of weeks back with me swan diving off the bow pulpit with one on. Fun and functional.
1964 Buccaneer 18 ~ Bijou

1979 Chrysler 27 ~ Andante